Need Help - Horribly Low Performing PC (8800 GTX)

CerberusOz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
I have just put together a new system, of which should be getting far far better performance than it is giving me.

I am getting AVG FPS of 16 in Company of hero's in-game benchmark using all settings on high at 1680x1050, min FPS of 4, max of 43.
I am getting FPS in oblivion inside the jail cell of 25 with all settings defaulted to high at 1680x1050.

The system is as follows.

XFX GeForce 8800 GTX - 97.44 firmware
Creative X-fi Extreme Music - latest driver
Asus P5B Deluxe - All drivers from CD installed
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Corsair 2gb PC4200(533) Ram, stock timings.
DirectX 9.0c
WD 400Gb SATA 2 16mb cache HDD

Windows XP Pro SP2 - all updates
Dell 20.1" E207WFP LCD Monitor
Linksys WMP54G Wireless NIC - latest firmware
Thermaltake 700W Toughpower PSU

My 3d mark score is in the 11.5k region, however the framerates I am getting in ALL my games are dismally low for such a powerhouse of a computer, I simply cannot for the life of me understand why it is performing like this.

If anyone needs any more details re: the system, ask and I shall provide.

Someone please help me get this thing to perform as it should :(

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hmm yes something defintly wrong here. I get 8949 on 3D06 I know that not as good as you but I can also play oblivion and company of heroes and Rainbow six Vegas alot better that you. Well the only real suggestion I can give you based on my limited knowledge of the 8 series is that they have alot of driver problems and combatiablity with certain games. Especially with oblivion I have heard this from many people. But also there was another guy on here about 3 weeks ago with the same problem and he had to rma it so. If it doesnt solve itself soon IMO I would rma it.

CerberusOz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
cpuz.jpg

temp.jpg

Some pics for those who will inevitably ask for them.

Rripperr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Sounds to me that it is one of 2 possible things:

1. Game- could be either a bad game install or you are missing some updates/patches. Try re-installing and re re-patching the game.

2. Video drivers- Many problems have been reported with the 8800 using older Nvidia drivers. Try to find some of the newer 97.XX forceware (beta) drivers. These could cure your problems.

CerberusOz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Sorry, I should fix that, I do have the latest drivers installed.
Its not just a game, its all games...every game I have runs worse than my other machine, which is using an X850XT.

I Installed over the top, the latest in the line of drivers from nvidia no longer requires you to uninstall first, it just updates existing libraries.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
nightmare considering that you got a new build there and it did originally post good scores i would suggest that you have got yourself

either
A:\> some spyware / virus problems in this case i would visit AVG and get their free virus / sptware scanners if you scan and find nothing move on to B

B:\> Malfunctioning hardware i think this is unlikely in this situation as generally things will work or not work the fact that it is running (even tho badly) would suggest a driver problem try running newer driver versions or even try the beta ones/OMEGA drivers if you are running latest versions

C:\> windows problem i had one today after i did a reinstall of my system this weekend turns out their is some conflict with SVCHOST and soundblaster drivers that was fixed with a patch their maybe a similar issue with you. head over to windows update
Also simple run an Msconfig and turn almost everything off and then goto services hide all microsoft services then disable any non required ones (you'll find most are pointless) a quick google will let you know if your not sure then restart and see if things are any better.

D:\> to be honest the thing i would suggest you do is to try and get back to the situation you were in before if that requires a ful reinstall then so be it (not as labourous as it first seems) then get back to basics with Chipset drivers / Video drivers / sound card drivers / Other necessary drivers then try running 3d mark again on this bare system (stay off the internet before running) if things are fne thats great then start installing other things and benchmarks periodically to check performance as you fill up the system also run Msconfig after every other install to check if any bloatware has been added (do you really need adobe to be checking for updates every our or so, do you really need QTTask running?)

If things are still not running okay then you'll need to isolate the issue turn off everything. remove everything from your computer you do not need (sound card/ extra PCI devices) and go back into windows run some specific benches SuperPi for Cpu, Memtest for ram (not technically a bench but a ram checker) and 3d mark 2001 for games (i say this as it doesnt incorporate CPU tests like 06 does) then compare against others which part is holding you back? from there i would get in contact with the supplier and arrange an RMA

Hope this helps you out

Hmmm maybe this could be made a sticky

CerberusOz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
The issue is resolved.
The latest drivers from nvidia (and subsequently the driver before 97.44) were completly screwing with the video card.
I at first uninstalled the 97.44 completly to go back one step. Ran 3dmark and got the same results.

So on a hunch, I uninstalled those drivers, and installed the ones that came with the video card.

3dmark05 gave me 16k marks.
115fps avg in company of heros @ 1680x1050, min of 50, max of 260 with everything on ultra, forced 16x AA / AF etc.

Avg fps in rainbow six vegas jumped from 15 to 110 at 1680x1050 with everything on max settings / forced 16x aa / af.

Made a big big difference.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
A:\> some spyware / virus problems in this case i would visit AVG and get their free virus / sptware scanners if you scan and find nothing move on to B
Whatever you do, please do not install AVG! That's got some nasty spyware/adware integrated into it. It gives big problems with XP for many people!

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
really what sort of problems ive never had an issue with it i dont install it as a service (dont see the point) all i do is have it run update at 3am then full scan at 4am never had an issue and ive been using it for about 2 years now

Surferosa

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
AVG is fine. It is actually much lower on system resource than many of the paid for products (dont touch Norton... ouch). And it has no spy or adware (where ya get that from?). Only problem is, it will not be AVG Free for much longer. They plan to start charging- I think you can now only download 30 day trial versions.

So I use Avira's FreeAV. No complaints, and its free.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Okay, next time you do a fresh install of XP, install AVG _before_ you install service pack 2. Then let me know if you still feel the same way about it.

Latest posts