3800+ reporting lower speed?

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Ok, here's my problem. I got my girlfriend a computer for Christmas. Instead of building one, I know... It's a Compaq Presario SR2030NX which has an Athlon 64 3800+ on an Asus A8M2N-LA, Socket AM2. I upgraded the graphics card and PSU, just barely. Since it's basically a Compaq board, there's virtually no customizability in the BIOS. When I look in the BIOS, it says the processor speed is 2400 Mhz. I look at system info in Windows, it says 986 Mhz. I was confident that it was ok because it said the right speed in the BIOS. However, I ran CPU-Z, and it's reporting just over 1 Ghz! The bus speed is about 200 Mhz, but the multiplier is basically at 5. What can I do to make sure this CPU is performing up to par the way it should? Is there another program I can run to tweak the multiplier?

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Ok, here's my problem. I got my girlfriend a computer for Christmas. Instead of building one, I know... It's a Compaq Presario SR2030NX which has an Athlon 64 3800+ on an Asus A8M2N-LA, Socket AM2. I upgraded the graphics card and PSU, just barely. Since it's basically a Compaq board, there's virtually no customizability in the BIOS. When I look in the BIOS, it says the processor speed is 2400 Mhz. I look at system info in Windows, it says 986 Mhz. I was confident that it was ok because it said the right speed in the BIOS. However, I ran CPU-Z, and it's reporting just over 1 Ghz! The bus speed is about 200 Mhz, but the multiplier is basically at 5. What can I do to make sure this CPU is performing up to par the way it should? Is there another program I can run to tweak the multiplier?

Cool'n'Quiet in effect. :wink:
The CPU will be back to full speed when in full-loading.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
try a program called throttlewatch. With my 3.2 Ghz it is at 2.8Ghz until under load then it goes up to 3.2 according to the program. I can't remember where I got it but is a small download and its free.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It's running at lower speeds to conserve power when it's nor under load. You can do what the guy above me said, or you can fire up Prime95 and torture test. CPU-Z should reflect the correct speed instantly.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
No "could be" about it. That's EXACTLY what it is.

And you are a rude prick for not saying "Thanks", and adding "I am a dumb person for not realising this immediately."

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
No "could be" about it. That's EXACTLY what it is.

And you are a rude prick for not saying "Thanks", and adding "I am a dumb person for not realising this immediately."

Hey, thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. Anyways, I ran Call of Duty 2 for a little bit on the rig, and sure enough, that's it. The multiplier was up to 12 and it was showing 2.4 Ghz. Thanks qcmadness.