Simple Dual Boot on sATA

SpeedGeek

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
I'm going to get a new computer in a few hours, and this new computer has 2 Hard drives, both serial ATA, both 320GB Seagate Barracudas.

Now, I want one hard drive to have Windows XP or vista or whatever, and be used for Games, Internet, Office, Video, music - EVERYTHING.

And the other hard drive, to have Windows 64bit and SONAR (a sound editing program) and nothing else!

So when I open the computer I can choose between booting from the first drive, or the second.

- BUT - I want the drives to be hidden from each other.
Meaning that when I work on one Hard drive, it will look like the other one isn't even hooked up.

I know this can be done easily, I was just wondering -

A. What program I use to do it

B. How do I do it, meaning - in what order? do I first install one drive, then disconnect it, install the other one, and then install the program?
How does all this work?

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I did a build for a small music studio recently with almost this exact same setup.

You will want to install the more stable OS first, in this case 2003, as it will contain the Boot sector for both Operating systems. Then run the XP install from inside 2003 and direct it to install on the second hard drive.

Use TweakUI in each OS installation to disable the drive letter for the other OS.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Keep it simple... Pull the power plug on the one you don't want to see, then boot, go into bios and make the drive you do want to see the primary boot drive...