windows xp sp2 fails to install catalog files

I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 Version 2002. I have just
received my MS windows XP service pack 2 update CD. The update fails and gets
the error "failed to install catalog files". I am then forced to cancel the
update process.

In the past I have tried several times, without success, to update to sp2
via the web update service.

I have not been able to uninstall the part of sp2 that has been installed,
either after trying via the web, or via the CD.

Help!
5 answers Last reply
More about windows fails install catalog files

    Have you used the special SP2 phone support? (888) 772-4357

    "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 Version 2002. I have
    > just
    > received my MS windows XP service pack 2 update CD. The update fails and
    > gets
    > the error "failed to install catalog files". I am then forced to cancel
    > the
    > update process.
    >
    > In the past I have tried several times, without success, to update to sp2
    > via the web update service.
    >
    > I have not been able to uninstall the part of sp2 that has been installed,
    > either after trying via the web, or via the CD.
    >
    > Help!

    Does anyone know a direct resolution for this problem?

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Have you used the special SP2 phone support? (888) 772-4357

    > "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 Version 2002. I have
    > > just
    > > received my MS windows XP service pack 2 update CD. The update fails and
    > > gets
    > > the error "failed to install catalog files". I am then forced to cancel
    > > the
    > > update process.
    > >
    > > In the past I have tried several times, without success, to update to sp2
    > > via the web update service.
    > >
    > > I have not been able to uninstall the part of sp2 that has been installed,
    > > either after trying via the web, or via the CD.
    > >
    > > Help!

    "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 Version 2002. I
    > have just received my MS windows XP service pack 2 update CD. The
    > update fails and gets the error "failed to install catalog files". I
    > am then forced to cancel the update process.
    >
    > In the past I have tried several times, without success, to update to
    > sp2 via the web update service.
    >
    > I have not been able to uninstall the part of sp2 that has been
    > installed, either after trying via the web, or via the CD.
    >
    > Help!

    I don't know that error, but this is close and the fix might work:
    "Failed To Install Product Catalog" Error Message When You Install Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823303

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    The fixes didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    > The fixes didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andrew

    No, sorry.

    --