HELP! I cut and lost critical docs

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 11, 2005 12:22:03 PM

BOY O BOY was I dumb! I easily installed a new larger HD, copied and pasted
everything from the old HD into the new BEFORE I installed the W2K OS. But,
then I got cocky and cut and pasted one critical folder to the new, so when
the OS installed I lost the info on the new drive, including that one
critical folder that I had cut from the old.

I have not formatted the old drive, so was able to re-copy the other stuff,
but is there a way to retrieve that one cut folder? I have tried uneraser,
but it didn't find a test file.

Thanks for the help and for not making me feel dummber than I already feel.

More about : cut lost critical docs

August 12, 2005 4:55:35 AM

You havent deleted the file from your old hd, you moved it to the new, so it
or remnents are unlikely to exist
on the old hd.
No Backup?, is that dumb*2 ?

"BZM" <BZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> BOY O BOY was I dumb! I easily installed a new larger HD, copied and
pasted
> everything from the old HD into the new BEFORE I installed the W2K OS.
But,
> then I got cocky and cut and pasted one critical folder to the new, so
when
> the OS installed I lost the info on the new drive, including that one
> critical folder that I had cut from the old.
>
> I have not formatted the old drive, so was able to re-copy the other
stuff,
> but is there a way to retrieve that one cut folder? I have tried
uneraser,
> but it didn't find a test file.
>
> Thanks for the help and for not making me feel dummber than I already
feel.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:55:36 AM

Yes, I know.... After years of no catastrophes and fairly consistent back
up, I got lazy and cocky and paid for it! BTW, I do have some back up but
not current.

The funny thing is that I usually stay within my knowledge and experience
limits and do technical things 'by the numbers' . Here, I made some
elementary mistakes that I never should have made and got burned.

Anyway, DL, thanks for the quick reply.

!