Wow... overheating, or just messed up?

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I know that the X1900XTX is notorious for hot temps, but I think mine is getting TOO hot. During gameplay it is fine... for about 3 minutes. Then I get a lot of screen corruption. Its hard to explain what it is... because they are not artifacts in the normal use of the word. Please let me know what you think...

In the couple examples (WoW), i highlighted and circled the corruption. The examples I have given are mild compared to what I have gotten.

Examples...

-Temp after ALT+TAB out of WoW was 86C.
-My card is NOT overclocked.
-This happens in all games.

you can use rivatuner....or ati tool to max out the fan and keep track of the temps(i use riva tuner....). open the case to let cool air in....

I can say that even in the 90's a X1900 should not do that.....
What driver version are u running...

But when you say its in all games(thats odd....wolf et can do some odd dual textures and lighting stuff...but most games should be ok)....something is not right.....try with full fan speed and if it does not go away....RMA...looks like bad video ram to me....

hope this helps

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Download and install ATI Tool 0.26:

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Show 3D View and Scan for Artifacts will stress test your GPU at 100% load, and will allow you to tweak all the settings, including fan speeds. Also, check the copper intake fins for dust obstructions. 8)

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I got ATITool and ran the artifact scan... about 45 seconds into it, it was finding artifacts... and soon after it was finding a lot (at about 65-70C). I also checked the copper fins and there is virtually no dust, and what little there was has been cleared away now, but it did not fix anything.

In reply to Nukemaster... "if it does not go away....RMA...looks like bad video ram to me...."...

I dont think I can RMA this one. I bought it back in June and it has been working fantastically until just awhile ago. I dont have the invoice or box, or anything like that. Is an RMA still possible even given this?

I am using driver 6.12 and all of my framerates and benches are where they should be (about 11k in 3dmark05)... there is just this odd corruption.

You should at least have a 1 year.....but with no sales slips....hmmmmmm cant hurt to try to contact them....or the store you got it at....damn...i am going to make sure my x1900 sales slip is in a safe place.....

Do you have a friend's computer where you can try the card? maybe its just power....its a long shot....but it never hurts to check.....artifacts @ 70 is not good at all....