James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all, hope someone can help. I have a Dell Poweredge 2500, 1GB ram, RAID
5, etc. We recently had mutiple power outages (however we do have a UPS on
the server) and ever since the server is taking around 8 hours to log anyone
onto it. With it just sitting doing its server role it is ok, P's can log on
fine to the network and everything works, but if you log onto the server
itself as any administrator you have to wait hours.

When the server does finally get to the desktop you can't change ie
connection settings (which it has also changed post power outage) so we can't
get into our Firewall, etc. We can't get into control panel, and a number of
other settings to try and make things better. Even having problems restoring
via Backup Exec...I've even threatened it with a large hamer!

Please help

James wrote:

> Hi all, hope someone can help. I have a Dell Poweredge 2500, 1GB ram, RAID
> 5, etc. We recently had mutiple power outages (however we do have a UPS on
> the server) and ever since the server is taking around 8 hours to log anyone
> onto it. With it just sitting doing its server role it is ok, P's can log on
> fine to the network and everything works, but if you log onto the server
> itself as any administrator you have to wait hours.
>
> When the server does finally get to the desktop you can't change ie
> connection settings (which it has also changed post power outage) so we can't
> get into our Firewall, etc. We can't get into control panel, and a number of
> other settings to try and make things better. Even having problems restoring
> via Backup Exec...I've even threatened it with a large hamer!
>
> Please help
Hi,

You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
on the computer?

If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x
due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
uninstall it:

Start Regedit.exe

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Reboot the computer.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: