no online connection

hi. i have recently removed the spysheriff and related viruses from a
computer at work. now there is no access to the internet or the outlook. i'm
thinking the removal process also removed files needed for these. i have run
the ccleaner, hijackthis, killbox, winsockfix, ewido security and related
type utilities, but still there is nothing. is there a fix for this that i
am overlooking or do i need to reinstall windows (i hope not)? are there
missing files that i can download somewhere and put back in their right
places to fix this? any thoughs?

dell
windows 2000 sp4
17 answers Last reply
More about online connection

    In the first instance
    see help re system file checker and run that, you may need your win cd

    "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi. i have recently removed the spysheriff and related viruses from a
    > computer at work. now there is no access to the internet or the outlook.
    i'm
    > thinking the removal process also removed files needed for these. i have
    run
    > the ccleaner, hijackthis, killbox, winsockfix, ewido security and related
    > type utilities, but still there is nothing. is there a fix for this that
    > am overlooking or do i need to reinstall windows (i hope not)? are there
    > missing files that i can download somewhere and put back in their right
    > places to fix this? any thoughs?
    >
    > dell
    > windows 2000 sp4

    is there s specific file i need to look for? i ran a search for 'system file
    checker' and a boatload of files came up on the list. not sure which one i
    need to run, a .exe file i assume? i have the disc in case i need it. is
    there a step by step process to run this file that you can send me, to see if
    this might fix the problem of no online connection?

    thanks

    "DL" wrote:

    > In the first instance
    > see help re system file checker and run that, you may need your win cd
    >
    > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi. i have recently removed the spysheriff and related viruses from a
    > > computer at work. now there is no access to the internet or the outlook.
    > i'm
    > > thinking the removal process also removed files needed for these. i have
    > run
    > > the ccleaner, hijackthis, killbox, winsockfix, ewido security and related
    > > type utilities, but still there is nothing. is there a fix for this that
    > > am overlooking or do i need to reinstall windows (i hope not)? are there
    > > missing files that i can download somewhere and put back in their right
    > > places to fix this? any thoughs?
    > >
    > > dell
    > > windows 2000 sp4

    Syntax: ( using Start/Run)

    sfc/scannow

    > is there s specific file i need to look for? i ran a search for 'system
    file
    > checker' and a boatload of files came up on the list. not sure which one
    > need to run, a .exe file i assume? i have the disc in case i need it. is
    > there a step by step process to run this file that you can send me, to see
    if
    > this might fix the problem of no online connection?
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > "DL" wrote:
    >
    > > In the first instance
    > > see help re system file checker and run that, you may need your win cd
    > >
    > > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > hi. i have recently removed the spysheriff and related viruses from a
    > > > computer at work. now there is no access to the internet or the
    outlook.
    > > i'm
    > > > thinking the removal process also removed files needed for these. i
    have
    > > run
    > > > the ccleaner, hijackthis, killbox, winsockfix, ewido security and
    related
    > > > type utilities, but still there is nothing. is there a fix for this
    that
    > > > am overlooking or do i need to reinstall windows (i hope not)? are
    there
    > > > missing files that i can download somewhere and put back in their
    right
    > > > places to fix this? any thoughs?
    > > >
    > > > dell
    > > > windows 2000 sp4

    i ran the sfc/scannow as you recommend and got this error message:

    "cannot find the file 'sfc/scannow' (or one of its components). make sure
    the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    available."

    "DL" wrote:

    > Syntax: ( using Start/Run)
    >
    > sfc/scannow
    >
    > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > is there s specific file i need to look for? i ran a search for 'system
    > file
    > > checker' and a boatload of files came up on the list. not sure which one
    > > need to run, a .exe file i assume? i have the disc in case i need it. is
    > > there a step by step process to run this file that you can send me, to see
    > if
    > > this might fix the problem of no online connection?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > > "DL" wrote:
    > >
    > > > In the first instance
    > > > see help re system file checker and run that, you may need your win cd
    > > >
    > > > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > outlook.
    > > > i'm
    > have
    > > > run
    > related
    > that
    > there
    > right

    try sfc SPACE /scannow

    sfc is the command
    /scannow is a parameter/switch
    there's gotta be a space between...

    escalante wrote:
    > i ran the sfc/scannow as you recommend and got this error message:
    >
    > "cannot find the file 'sfc/scannow' (or one of its components). make sure
    > the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    > available."
    >

    > "DL" wrote:
    >

    >>Syntax: ( using Start/Run)
    >>
    >>sfc/scannow
    >>
    >>"escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>is there s specific file i need to look for? i ran a search for 'system
    >>
    >>file
    >>
    >>>checker' and a boatload of files came up on the list. not sure which one

    >>>need to run, a .exe file i assume? i have the disc in case i need it. is
    >>>there a step by step process to run this file that you can send me, to see
    >>
    >>if
    >>
    >>>this might fix the problem of no online connection?
    >>>
    >>>thanks

    >>outlook.

    >>have

    >>related

    >>that

    >>there

    >>right

    i ran the sfc /scannow and inserted the windows 2000 cd like it prompted. it
    ran the scan and it said this:

    "please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are
    intact and in their original versions." then it said it had to copy some
    files from the cd to the dll cache. but nothing seems to have changed.
    explorer still says "the page cannot be found" and when i send/receive in
    outlook it still is saying "the server could not be found". seems there is a
    broken link somewhere with online applications. all other applications run
    normal without problems. do i simply need to reinstall expolorer & outlook,
    rather than all of windows 2000?

    "Dan Seur" wrote:

    > try sfc SPACE /scannow
    >
    > sfc is the command
    > /scannow is a parameter/switch
    > there's gotta be a space between...
    >
    > escalante wrote:
    > > i ran the sfc/scannow as you recommend and got this error message:
    > >
    > > "cannot find the file 'sfc/scannow' (or one of its components). make sure
    > > the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    > > available."
    > >

    > > "DL" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Syntax: ( using Start/Run)
    > >>
    > >>sfc/scannow
    > >>
    > >>"escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >>file

    > >>if

    > >>outlook.

    > >>have

    > >>related

    > >>that

    > >>there

    > >>right

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From Start.......Winupdate
    Does it connect?
    If not, do you have a Firewall? if so disable for a few mins and try again

    If still no connection, what type of connection? - Dial up or cable etc?

    > i ran the sfc /scannow and inserted the windows 2000 cd like it prompted.
    it
    > ran the scan and it said this:
    >
    > "please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are
    > intact and in their original versions." then it said it had to copy some
    > files from the cd to the dll cache. but nothing seems to have changed.
    > explorer still says "the page cannot be found" and when i send/receive in
    > outlook it still is saying "the server could not be found". seems there
    is a
    > broken link somewhere with online applications. all other applications
    run
    > normal without problems. do i simply need to reinstall expolorer &
    outlook,
    > rather than all of windows 2000?
    >
    > "Dan Seur" wrote:
    >
    > > try sfc SPACE /scannow
    > >
    > > sfc is the command
    > > /scannow is a parameter/switch
    > > there's gotta be a space between...
    > >
    > > escalante wrote:
    > > > i ran the sfc/scannow as you recommend and got this error message:
    > > >
    > > > "cannot find the file 'sfc/scannow' (or one of its components). make
    sure
    > > > the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    > > > available."

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    when i run the "start-run-winupdate" i get the "...cannot find file...
    required libraries..." error again for this. we do have a firewall in the
    office but i'm not sure how to diable it. we run a dsl cabled connection.

    "DL" wrote:

    > From Start.......Winupdate
    > Does it connect?
    > If not, do you have a Firewall? if so disable for a few mins and try again
    >
    > If still no connection, what type of connection? - Dial up or cable etc?
    >
    > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i ran the sfc /scannow and inserted the windows 2000 cd like it prompted.
    > it
    > > ran the scan and it said this:
    > >
    > > "please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are
    > > intact and in their original versions." then it said it had to copy some
    > > files from the cd to the dll cache. but nothing seems to have changed.
    > > explorer still says "the page cannot be found" and when i send/receive in
    > > outlook it still is saying "the server could not be found". seems there
    > is a
    > > broken link somewhere with online applications. all other applications
    > run
    > > normal without problems. do i simply need to reinstall expolorer &
    > outlook,
    > > rather than all of windows 2000?
    > >
    > > "Dan Seur" wrote:
    > >
    > > > try sfc SPACE /scannow
    > > >
    > > > sfc is the command
    > > > /scannow is a parameter/switch
    > > > there's gotta be a space between...

    > sure

    > 'system

    > one

    > it. is
    > to see

    > cd

    > from a

    > this

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From Start/Settings/Network and Dial up connections
    This will show your network connections, depending how you connect it should
    show either a Local Area connection (LAN) and or a dial up connection.
    If using LAN it should be enabled.
    Check properties for the connection
    At the very least Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked.
    Possibly also Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, if you are
    connected to a network

    If Dial up, the properties should be self explanatory

    > when i run the "start-run-winupdate" i get the "...cannot find file...
    > required libraries..." error again for this. we do have a firewall in the
    > office but i'm not sure how to diable it. we run a dsl cabled connection.
    >
    > "DL" wrote:
    >
    > > From Start.......Winupdate
    > > Does it connect?
    > > If not, do you have a Firewall? if so disable for a few mins and try
    again

    > > If still no connection, what type of connection? - Dial up or cable etc?
    > >
    > > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > i ran the sfc /scannow and inserted the windows 2000 cd like it
    prompted.
    > > it
    > > > ran the scan and it said this:
    > > >
    > > > "please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files
    are
    > > > intact and in their original versions." then it said it had to copy
    some
    > > > files from the cd to the dll cache. but nothing seems to have
    changed.
    > > > explorer still says "the page cannot be found" and when i send/receive
    in
    > > > outlook it still is saying "the server could not be found". seems
    there
    > > is a
    > > > broken link somewhere with online applications. all other
    applications
    > > run
    > > > normal without problems. do i simply need to reinstall expolorer &
    > > outlook,
    > > > rather than all of windows 2000?

    make
    > > sure

    > > 'system

    > > one

    > > it. is
    > > to see

    > > cd

    > > from a

    > > this

    are

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    yep, everything is clicked in the local area connection properties dialogue
    box, as it should be. sidenote and maybe this is the problem - i rebooted
    for the first time in a while and i remembered that there is a problem with
    the pci device. it is looking for new hardware. when i click on disk manager
    and look at the properties for it, it says 'this device is not configured
    correctly (code 1). to reinstall the drivers for this device, click
    reinstall driver.' i did this and search for a windows update but i don't
    think it finds anything. before it iis finished it says that 'windows was
    unable to locate a driver for ths device. to search another location click
    back, or if you do not want to install a driver now click finish.' is this a
    related problem or something completely different? where would i find the
    proper driver?

    "DL" wrote:

    > From Start/Settings/Network and Dial up connections
    > This will show your network connections, depending how you connect it should
    > show either a Local Area connection (LAN) and or a dial up connection.
    > If using LAN it should be enabled.
    > Check properties for the connection
    > At the very least Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked.
    > Possibly also Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, if you are
    > connected to a network
    >
    > If Dial up, the properties should be self explanatory
    >
    > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when i run the "start-run-winupdate" i get the "...cannot find file...
    > > required libraries..." error again for this. we do have a firewall in the
    > > office but i'm not sure how to diable it. we run a dsl cabled connection.
    > >
    > > "DL" wrote:
    > >
    > > > From Start.......Winupdate
    > > > Does it connect?
    > > > If not, do you have a Firewall? if so disable for a few mins and try
    > again
    > > >
    > > > If still no connection, what type of connection? - Dial up or cable etc?
    > > >
    > > > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > prompted.
    > > > it

    > are
    > some
    > changed.
    > in
    > there
    > > > is a
    > applications
    > > > run
    > > > outlook,

    > make
    > > > sure
    > are

    > > > 'system

    > which
    > > > one

    > need
    > > > it. is
    > me,
    > > > to see

    > win
    > > > cd

    > message

    > > > from a

    > these.

    > and

    > > > this

    > are

    > their

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hard to know what this hw pci device is, without looking at your sys.
    Suggest you go into hardware devices, look for the exclamation marked item,
    see if you get any clues as to what it is. If you dont uninstall the item
    then reboot see if win finds the item
    You mention winupdate; it is a particularly BAD idea sourceing any hw
    drivers from winupdate, use only the manu.web site for drivers, do NOT use
    winupdate.

    > yep, everything is clicked in the local area connection properties
    dialogue
    > box, as it should be. sidenote and maybe this is the problem - i rebooted
    > for the first time in a while and i remembered that there is a problem
    with
    > the pci device. it is looking for new hardware. when i click on disk
    manager
    > and look at the properties for it, it says 'this device is not configured
    > correctly (code 1). to reinstall the drivers for this device, click
    > reinstall driver.' i did this and search for a windows update but i don't
    > think it finds anything. before it iis finished it says that 'windows was
    > unable to locate a driver for ths device. to search another location click
    > back, or if you do not want to install a driver now click finish.' is
    this a
    > related problem or something completely different? where would i find the
    > proper driver?
    >
    > "DL" wrote:
    >
    > > From Start/Settings/Network and Dial up connections
    > > This will show your network connections, depending how you connect it
    should
    > > show either a Local Area connection (LAN) and or a dial up connection.
    > > If using LAN it should be enabled.
    > > Check properties for the connection
    > > At the very least Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked.
    > > Possibly also Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, if you are
    > > connected to a network
    > >
    > > If Dial up, the properties should be self explanatory
    > >
    > > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > when i run the "start-run-winupdate" i get the "...cannot find file...
    > > > required libraries..." error again for this. we do have a firewall in
    the
    > > > office but i'm not sure how to diable it. we run a dsl cabled
    connection.

    > > again

    > > prompted.

    > > are
    > > some
    > > changed.
    > > in
    > > there
    > > applications

    > > make
    > > are

    > > which

    > > need
    > > me,

    > > win

    > > message

    > > these.

    > > and

    > > are

    > > their

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    it only ever says 'pci device' and nothing more., so i am not sure what it
    could be. if it helps, whenever i try to load the driver, it always looks in
    the c:/winnt/inf file folder first. maybe this is where some files should be
    that are affecting my online applications. maybe not. i unistalled the pci
    device and rebooted. it gave me the same dialogue box about looking for new
    hardware and prompted me to find the driver, same as ever. i put in the
    windows cd to see if there was anything there, but nothing. then i put in the
    office 2000 disc but still no driver there either. i loaded up mozilla just
    to see if the problem was with explorer, but got the same error where i can't
    connect. man, i'm stumped!

    "DL" wrote:

> [...]
    > > unable to locate a driver for ths device. to search another location click
    > > back, or if you do not want to install a driver now click finish.' is
    > this a
    > > related problem or something completely different? where would i find the
    > > proper driver?
    > >
    > > "DL" wrote:
    > >
    > > > From Start/Settings/Network and Dial up connections
    > > > This will show your network connections, depending how you connect it
    > should
    > > > show either a Local Area connection (LAN) and or a dial up connection.
    > > > If using LAN it should be enabled.
    > > > Check properties for the connection
    > > > At the very least Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked.
    > > > Possibly also Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, if you are
    > > > connected to a network
    > > >
    > > > If Dial up, the properties should be self explanatory

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Step back one,
    In Settings/Network & Dialup
    Your LAN is enabled?

> [...]
    > > > for the first time in a while and i remembered that there is a problem
    > > with
    > > > the pci device. it is looking for new hardware. when i click on disk
    > > manager
    > > > and look at the properties for it, it says 'this device is not
    configured
    > > > correctly (code 1). to reinstall the drivers for this device, click
    > > > reinstall driver.' i did this and search for a windows update but i
    don't
    > > > think it finds anything. before it iis finished it says that 'windows
    was
    > > > unable to locate a driver for ths device. to search another location
    click
    > > > back, or if you do not want to install a driver now click finish.' is
    > > this a
    > > > related problem or something completely different? where would i find

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    yep, my LAN is connected and working properly. it is sending & receiving
    packets normally. under properties & configure, here is what it says:

    - all components are checked and in use.
    - using a 3com 3c920 integrated fast ethernet controller (3c905c-tx
    compatible)
    - device type: network adapters
    - manufacturer: 3com
    - location: pci bus 2, device 12, function 0

    says the device is working properly.

    - the driver provider is microsoft and is in a system32 folder.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    do you think a system restore to day 'x' before all of this happened will
    fix the problems i am having? will it put everything back in its right
    place. everything was fine before the spysheriff showed up.

    "escalante" wrote:

    > yep, my LAN is connected and working properly. it is sending & receiving
    > packets normally. under properties & configure, here is what it says:
    >
    > - all components are checked and in use.
    > - using a 3com 3c920 integrated fast ethernet controller (3c905c-tx
    > compatible)
    > - device type: network adapters
    > - manufacturer: 3com
    > - location: pci bus 2, device 12, function 0
    >
    > says the device is working properly.
    >
    > - the driver provider is microsoft and is in a system32 folder.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    You can try, but I would tend towards a firewall problem

    > do you think a system restore to day 'x' before all of this happened will
    > fix the problems i am having? will it put everything back in its right
    > place. everything was fine before the spysheriff showed up.
    >

    > "escalante" wrote:
    >
    > > yep, my LAN is connected and working properly. it is sending &
    receiving
    > > packets normally. under properties & configure, here is what it says:
    > >
    > > - all components are checked and in use.
    > > - using a 3com 3c920 integrated fast ethernet controller (3c905c-tx
    > > compatible)
    > > - device type: network adapters
    > > - manufacturer: 3com
    > > - location: pci bus 2, device 12, function 0
    > >
    > > says the device is working properly.
    > >
    > > - the driver provider is microsoft and is in a system32 folder.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
    maybe relevent

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > You can try, but I would tend towards a firewall problem
    >
    > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > do you think a system restore to day 'x' before all of this happened
    will
    > > fix the problems i am having? will it put everything back in its right
    > > place. everything was fine before the spysheriff showed up.
    > >

    > > "escalante" wrote:
    > >
    > > > yep, my LAN is connected and working properly. it is sending &
    > receiving
    > > > packets normally. under properties & configure, here is what it says:
    > > >
    > > > - all components are checked and in use.
    > > > - using a 3com 3c920 integrated fast ethernet controller (3c905c-tx
    > > > compatible)
    > > > - device type: network adapters
    > > > - manufacturer: 3com
    > > > - location: pci bus 2, device 12, function 0
    > > >
    > > > says the device is working properly.
    > > >
    > > > - the driver provider is microsoft and is in a system32 folder.

Connection Windows