no online connection

hi. i have recently removed the spysheriff and related viruses from a
computer at work. now there is no access to the internet or the outlook. i'm
thinking the removal process also removed files needed for these. i have run
the ccleaner, hijackthis, killbox, winsockfix, ewido security and related
type utilities, but still there is nothing. is there a fix for this that i
am overlooking or do i need to reinstall windows (i hope not)? are there
missing files that i can download somewhere and put back in their right
places to fix this? any thoughs?

dell
windows 2000 sp4

dl

In the first instance
see help re system file checker and run that, you may need your win cd

"escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi. i have recently removed the spysheriff and related viruses from a
> computer at work. now there is no access to the internet or the outlook.
i'm
> thinking the removal process also removed files needed for these. i have
run
> the ccleaner, hijackthis, killbox, winsockfix, ewido security and related
> type utilities, but still there is nothing. is there a fix for this that
> am overlooking or do i need to reinstall windows (i hope not)? are there
> missing files that i can download somewhere and put back in their right
> places to fix this? any thoughs?
>
> dell
> windows 2000 sp4

is there s specific file i need to look for? i ran a search for 'system file
checker' and a boatload of files came up on the list. not sure which one i
need to run, a .exe file i assume? i have the disc in case i need it. is
there a step by step process to run this file that you can send me, to see if
this might fix the problem of no online connection?

thanks

"DL" wrote:

> In the first instance
> see help re system file checker and run that, you may need your win cd
>
> "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi. i have recently removed the spysheriff and related viruses from a
> > computer at work. now there is no access to the internet or the outlook.
> i'm
> > thinking the removal process also removed files needed for these. i have
> run
> > the ccleaner, hijackthis, killbox, winsockfix, ewido security and related
> > type utilities, but still there is nothing. is there a fix for this that
> > am overlooking or do i need to reinstall windows (i hope not)? are there
> > missing files that i can download somewhere and put back in their right
> > places to fix this? any thoughs?
> >
> > dell
> > windows 2000 sp4

dl

Syntax: ( using Start/Run)

sfc/scannow

> is there s specific file i need to look for? i ran a search for 'system
file
> checker' and a boatload of files came up on the list. not sure which one
> need to run, a .exe file i assume? i have the disc in case i need it. is
> there a step by step process to run this file that you can send me, to see
if
> this might fix the problem of no online connection?
>
> thanks
>

> "DL" wrote:
>
> > In the first instance
> > see help re system file checker and run that, you may need your win cd
> >
> > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > hi. i have recently removed the spysheriff and related viruses from a
> > > computer at work. now there is no access to the internet or the
outlook.
> > i'm
> > > thinking the removal process also removed files needed for these. i
have
> > run
> > > the ccleaner, hijackthis, killbox, winsockfix, ewido security and
related
> > > type utilities, but still there is nothing. is there a fix for this
that
> > > am overlooking or do i need to reinstall windows (i hope not)? are
there
> > > missing files that i can download somewhere and put back in their
right
> > > places to fix this? any thoughs?
> > >
> > > dell
> > > windows 2000 sp4

i ran the sfc/scannow as you recommend and got this error message:

"cannot find the file 'sfc/scannow' (or one of its components). make sure
the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
available."

"DL" wrote:

> Syntax: ( using Start/Run)
>
> sfc/scannow
>
> "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > is there s specific file i need to look for? i ran a search for 'system
> file
> > checker' and a boatload of files came up on the list. not sure which one
> > need to run, a .exe file i assume? i have the disc in case i need it. is
> > there a step by step process to run this file that you can send me, to see
> if
> > this might fix the problem of no online connection?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > In the first instance
> > > see help re system file checker and run that, you may need your win cd
> > >
> > > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> outlook.
> > > i'm
> have
> > > run
> related
> that
> there
> right

try sfc SPACE /scannow

sfc is the command
/scannow is a parameter/switch
there's gotta be a space between...

escalante wrote:
> i ran the sfc/scannow as you recommend and got this error message:
>
> "cannot find the file 'sfc/scannow' (or one of its components). make sure
> the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
> available."
>

> "DL" wrote:
>

>>Syntax: ( using Start/Run)
>>
>>sfc/scannow
>>
>>"escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>is there s specific file i need to look for? i ran a search for 'system
>>
>>file
>>
>>>checker' and a boatload of files came up on the list. not sure which one

>>>need to run, a .exe file i assume? i have the disc in case i need it. is
>>>there a step by step process to run this file that you can send me, to see
>>
>>if
>>
>>>this might fix the problem of no online connection?
>>>
>>>thanks

>>outlook.

>>have

>>related

>>that

>>there

>>right

i ran the sfc /scannow and inserted the windows 2000 cd like it prompted. it
ran the scan and it said this:

"please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are
intact and in their original versions." then it said it had to copy some
files from the cd to the dll cache. but nothing seems to have changed.
explorer still says "the page cannot be found" and when i send/receive in
outlook it still is saying "the server could not be found". seems there is a
broken link somewhere with online applications. all other applications run
normal without problems. do i simply need to reinstall expolorer & outlook,
rather than all of windows 2000?

"Dan Seur" wrote:

> try sfc SPACE /scannow
>
> sfc is the command
> /scannow is a parameter/switch
> there's gotta be a space between...
>
> escalante wrote:
> > i ran the sfc/scannow as you recommend and got this error message:
> >
> > "cannot find the file 'sfc/scannow' (or one of its components). make sure
> > the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
> > available."
> >

> > "DL" wrote:
> >

> >>Syntax: ( using Start/Run)
> >>
> >>sfc/scannow
> >>
> >>"escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >>file

> >>if

> >>outlook.

> >>have

> >>related

> >>that

> >>there

> >>right

dl

From Start.......Winupdate
Does it connect?
If not, do you have a Firewall? if so disable for a few mins and try again

If still no connection, what type of connection? - Dial up or cable etc?

> i ran the sfc /scannow and inserted the windows 2000 cd like it prompted.
it
> ran the scan and it said this:
>
> "please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are
> intact and in their original versions." then it said it had to copy some
> files from the cd to the dll cache. but nothing seems to have changed.
> explorer still says "the page cannot be found" and when i send/receive in
> outlook it still is saying "the server could not be found". seems there
is a
> broken link somewhere with online applications. all other applications
run
> normal without problems. do i simply need to reinstall expolorer &
outlook,
> rather than all of windows 2000?
>
> "Dan Seur" wrote:
>
> > try sfc SPACE /scannow
> >
> > sfc is the command
> > /scannow is a parameter/switch
> > there's gotta be a space between...
> >
> > escalante wrote:
> > > i ran the sfc/scannow as you recommend and got this error message:
> > >
> > > "cannot find the file 'sfc/scannow' (or one of its components). make
sure
> > > the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
> > > available."

when i run the "start-run-winupdate" i get the "...cannot find file...
required libraries..." error again for this. we do have a firewall in the
office but i'm not sure how to diable it. we run a dsl cabled connection.

"DL" wrote:

> From Start.......Winupdate
> Does it connect?
> If not, do you have a Firewall? if so disable for a few mins and try again
>
> If still no connection, what type of connection? - Dial up or cable etc?
>
> "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i ran the sfc /scannow and inserted the windows 2000 cd like it prompted.
> it
> > ran the scan and it said this:
> >
> > "please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are
> > intact and in their original versions." then it said it had to copy some
> > files from the cd to the dll cache. but nothing seems to have changed.
> > explorer still says "the page cannot be found" and when i send/receive in
> > outlook it still is saying "the server could not be found". seems there
> is a
> > broken link somewhere with online applications. all other applications
> run
> > normal without problems. do i simply need to reinstall expolorer &
> outlook,
> > rather than all of windows 2000?
> >
> > "Dan Seur" wrote:
> >
> > > try sfc SPACE /scannow
> > >
> > > sfc is the command
> > > /scannow is a parameter/switch
> > > there's gotta be a space between...

> sure

> 'system

> one

> it. is
> to see

> cd

> from a

> this

dl

From Start/Settings/Network and Dial up connections
This will show your network connections, depending how you connect it should
show either a Local Area connection (LAN) and or a dial up connection.
If using LAN it should be enabled.
Check properties for the connection
At the very least Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked.
Possibly also Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, if you are
connected to a network

If Dial up, the properties should be self explanatory

> when i run the "start-run-winupdate" i get the "...cannot find file...
> required libraries..." error again for this. we do have a firewall in the
> office but i'm not sure how to diable it. we run a dsl cabled connection.
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > From Start.......Winupdate
> > Does it connect?
> > If not, do you have a Firewall? if so disable for a few mins and try
again

> > If still no connection, what type of connection? - Dial up or cable etc?
> >
> > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > i ran the sfc /scannow and inserted the windows 2000 cd like it
prompted.
> > it
> > > ran the scan and it said this:
> > >
> > > "please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files
are
> > > intact and in their original versions." then it said it had to copy
some
> > > files from the cd to the dll cache. but nothing seems to have
changed.
> > > explorer still says "the page cannot be found" and when i send/receive
in
> > > outlook it still is saying "the server could not be found". seems
there
> > is a
> > > broken link somewhere with online applications. all other
applications
> > run
> > > normal without problems. do i simply need to reinstall expolorer &
> > outlook,
> > > rather than all of windows 2000?

make
> > sure

> > 'system

> > one

> > it. is
> > to see

> > cd

> > from a

> > this

are

yep, everything is clicked in the local area connection properties dialogue
box, as it should be. sidenote and maybe this is the problem - i rebooted
for the first time in a while and i remembered that there is a problem with
the pci device. it is looking for new hardware. when i click on disk manager
and look at the properties for it, it says 'this device is not configured
correctly (code 1). to reinstall the drivers for this device, click
reinstall driver.' i did this and search for a windows update but i don't
think it finds anything. before it iis finished it says that 'windows was
unable to locate a driver for ths device. to search another location click
back, or if you do not want to install a driver now click finish.' is this a
related problem or something completely different? where would i find the
proper driver?

"DL" wrote:

> From Start/Settings/Network and Dial up connections
> This will show your network connections, depending how you connect it should
> show either a Local Area connection (LAN) and or a dial up connection.
> If using LAN it should be enabled.
> Check properties for the connection
> At the very least Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked.
> Possibly also Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, if you are
> connected to a network
>
> If Dial up, the properties should be self explanatory
>
> "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when i run the "start-run-winupdate" i get the "...cannot find file...
> > required libraries..." error again for this. we do have a firewall in the
> > office but i'm not sure how to diable it. we run a dsl cabled connection.
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > From Start.......Winupdate
> > > Does it connect?
> > > If not, do you have a Firewall? if so disable for a few mins and try
> again
> > >
> > > If still no connection, what type of connection? - Dial up or cable etc?
> > >
> > > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> prompted.
> > > it

> are
> some
> changed.
> in
> there
> > > is a
> applications
> > > run
> > > outlook,

> make
> > > sure
> are

> > > 'system

> which
> > > one

> need
> > > it. is
> me,
> > > to see

> win
> > > cd

> message

> > > from a

> these.

> and

> > > this

> are

> their

dl

Hard to know what this hw pci device is, without looking at your sys.
Suggest you go into hardware devices, look for the exclamation marked item,
see if you get any clues as to what it is. If you dont uninstall the item
then reboot see if win finds the item
You mention winupdate; it is a particularly BAD idea sourceing any hw
drivers from winupdate, use only the manu.web site for drivers, do NOT use
winupdate.

> yep, everything is clicked in the local area connection properties
dialogue
> box, as it should be. sidenote and maybe this is the problem - i rebooted
> for the first time in a while and i remembered that there is a problem
with
> the pci device. it is looking for new hardware. when i click on disk
manager
> and look at the properties for it, it says 'this device is not configured
> correctly (code 1). to reinstall the drivers for this device, click
> reinstall driver.' i did this and search for a windows update but i don't
> think it finds anything. before it iis finished it says that 'windows was
> unable to locate a driver for ths device. to search another location click
> back, or if you do not want to install a driver now click finish.' is
this a
> related problem or something completely different? where would i find the
> proper driver?
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > From Start/Settings/Network and Dial up connections
> > This will show your network connections, depending how you connect it
should
> > show either a Local Area connection (LAN) and or a dial up connection.
> > If using LAN it should be enabled.
> > Check properties for the connection
> > At the very least Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked.
> > Possibly also Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, if you are
> > connected to a network
> >
> > If Dial up, the properties should be self explanatory
> >
> > "escalante" <escalante@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > when i run the "start-run-winupdate" i get the "...cannot find file...
> > > required libraries..." error again for this. we do have a firewall in
the
> > > office but i'm not sure how to diable it. we run a dsl cabled
connection.

> > again

> > prompted.

> > are
> > some
> > changed.
> > in
> > there
> > applications

> > make
> > are

> > which

> > need
> > me,

> > win

> > message

> > these.

> > and

> > are

> > their

it only ever says 'pci device' and nothing more., so i am not sure what it
could be. if it helps, whenever i try to load the driver, it always looks in
the c:/winnt/inf file folder first. maybe this is where some files should be
that are affecting my online applications. maybe not. i unistalled the pci
device and rebooted. it gave me the same dialogue box about looking for new
hardware and prompted me to find the driver, same as ever. i put in the
windows cd to see if there was anything there, but nothing. then i put in the
office 2000 disc but still no driver there either. i loaded up mozilla just
to see if the problem was with explorer, but got the same error where i can't
connect. man, i'm stumped!

"DL" wrote:

> [...]
> > unable to locate a driver for ths device. to search another location click
> > back, or if you do not want to install a driver now click finish.' is
> this a
> > related problem or something completely different? where would i find the
> > proper driver?
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > From Start/Settings/Network and Dial up connections
> > > This will show your network connections, depending how you connect it
> should
> > > show either a Local Area connection (LAN) and or a dial up connection.
> > > If using LAN it should be enabled.
> > > Check properties for the connection
> > > At the very least Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked.
> > > Possibly also Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, if you are
> > > connected to a network
> > >
> > > If Dial up, the properties should be self explanatory

dl

Step back one,
In Settings/Network & Dialup
Your LAN is enabled?

> [...]
> > > for the first time in a while and i remembered that there is a problem
> > with
> > > the pci device. it is looking for new hardware. when i click on disk
> > manager
> > > and look at the properties for it, it says 'this device is not
configured
> > > correctly (code 1). to reinstall the drivers for this device, click
> > > reinstall driver.' i did this and search for a windows update but i
don't
> > > think it finds anything. before it iis finished it says that 'windows
was
> > > unable to locate a driver for ths device. to search another location
click
> > > back, or if you do not want to install a driver now click finish.' is
> > this a
> > > related problem or something completely different? where would i find

yep, my LAN is connected and working properly. it is sending & receiving
packets normally. under properties & configure, here is what it says:

- all components are checked and in use.
- using a 3com 3c920 integrated fast ethernet controller (3c905c-tx
compatible)
- device type: network adapters
- manufacturer: 3com
- location: pci bus 2, device 12, function 0

says the device is working properly.

- the driver provider is microsoft and is in a system32 folder.

do you think a system restore to day 'x' before all of this happened will
fix the problems i am having? will it put everything back in its right
place. everything was fine before the spysheriff showed up.

"escalante" wrote:

> yep, my LAN is connected and working properly. it is sending & receiving
> packets normally. under properties & configure, here is what it says:
>
> - all components are checked and in use.
> - using a 3com 3c920 integrated fast ethernet controller (3c905c-tx
> compatible)
> - device type: network adapters
> - manufacturer: 3com
> - location: pci bus 2, device 12, function 0
>
> says the device is working properly.
>
> - the driver provider is microsoft and is in a system32 folder.

dl

You can try, but I would tend towards a firewall problem

> do you think a system restore to day 'x' before all of this happened will
> fix the problems i am having? will it put everything back in its right
> place. everything was fine before the spysheriff showed up.
>

> "escalante" wrote:
>
> > yep, my LAN is connected and working properly. it is sending &
receiving
> > packets normally. under properties & configure, here is what it says:
> >
> > - all components are checked and in use.
> > - using a 3com 3c920 integrated fast ethernet controller (3c905c-tx
> > compatible)
> > - device type: network adapters
> > - manufacturer: 3com
> > - location: pci bus 2, device 12, function 0
> >
> > says the device is working properly.
> >
> > - the driver provider is microsoft and is in a system32 folder.

dl

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
maybe relevent