Sign in with
Your question

Wood case is complete! UPDATED: More pictures added!

Last response: in Components
January 7, 2007 8:47:56 PM

Finally finished the custom case I have been working on :)  Here are some pics. Wiring isn't fully complete due to the fact that I have a new OCZ psu waiting for me in my University package room. I don't have pics of it up and running, but the UV lights look amazing and when the lights are off you can't even tell there is a side on it.

Temps are also unbelievable. CPU temps dropped 3-4C but my system temp dropped 7-9C and my PWM temp (a problem spot on this mobo) dropped an amazing 12-20C! Under load the PWM used to hit about 85C after a few hours under prime, now the highest it got was 65C and there isn't even a fan blowing directly on it. I may add one in later, but Abit support said not to worry if it is under 110C :wink:
[/img]
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
January 7, 2007 8:52:33 PM

LOL, that's awesom.

I'd love to say i have a wooden pc :p 
January 7, 2007 8:54:34 PM

Thanks :)  I will post some better pics once I get my new PSU all routed beautifully and set up. There is not a single wire left unsleeved in the entire case right now and there never will be.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 7, 2007 8:56:09 PM

That looks nice. Good Job.

How long did it take you to finish the wooden case.

CAN YOU BUILD ME ONE PLZ.... 8)
January 7, 2007 9:05:59 PM

Thanks! I honestly don't know how long the whole thing took, it was quite awhile. It was built totally from a design of mine in this thread. That being said, everything was guesswork and a lot of time was spent pondering how everything was going to work BEFORE cutting into my expensive wood :) 
January 7, 2007 9:07:09 PM

I can build you one... say $500? :twisted:
January 7, 2007 9:07:15 PM

Does it float?

:lol: 
January 7, 2007 9:11:48 PM

For awhile...
January 7, 2007 9:15:24 PM

FANTASTIC. I would buy one.
January 7, 2007 9:17:35 PM

Very nice. I especially like the PSU housing. Hey does it have a window :lol: 
January 7, 2007 9:19:24 PM

Very, very nice! That is is one sharp looking case, I'd be proud to show it off on the internet! When you get it all completely finished, up and running, please show us more pictures!
January 7, 2007 9:21:38 PM

Quote:
I can build you one... say $500? :twisted:

Does it fly. JK.

I see that you have an Swiftech liquid cooling. Where did you get the 1/2" ID UV Blue Tubing.

I just installed my Swiftech Storm Rev 2/Swiftech MCP655/HW Labs Black Ice Xtreme II Dual 120mm Radiator/Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservoir/Tygon 1/2in. ID 5/8in. OD Ultra Soft Vinyl yesterday.

The Tygon 1/2in. ID 5/8in. OD Ultra Soft Vinyl currently which is installed on my system bends like crazy. Iam looking at better 1/2in. ID tubbing just like in your system.
January 7, 2007 9:35:26 PM

Very Sweet case, Well Done.

This is one nice case, craftsmanship is excellent and you should be very proud of it.

It get my vote for best case. 1st Place :) 

Finally a case for a Media Center PC. Matches my Oak Entertainment Center.
January 7, 2007 9:48:32 PM

You are an inspriation to us all!

Beautiful work, very beautiful.
January 7, 2007 9:51:13 PM

So, sell your case for $$$ and make a new one.

My idea is to make a glass fish tank case with teh components sealed inside. so it looks like its under water... and of course... fishys...
January 7, 2007 9:54:33 PM

:wink: Yo Nice Job!
January 7, 2007 9:57:17 PM

That would be awesome if you paint them components outside to match the wooden case.
January 7, 2007 9:59:59 PM

What an ambitious project. It looks great. Congrats on a job well done!

PS you need to update your signature; otherwise, there will be some seriously disappointed purchasers of the Super Lanboy!
a c 83 ) Power supply
January 7, 2007 10:05:01 PM

Just amazing.....

I WANT!!!!!!
January 7, 2007 10:14:12 PM

Woow =)
Awsome build there
I would never pay 500$ for that but...
...200$+ no problem.

Did somthing simular a couple a years back and it worked ok but I got tired on the way and I never got to that "finish" so to say.
January 7, 2007 10:20:17 PM

Thanks guys! I got the tubing at Performance-pcs.com but found it for under $1 per foot at voyeurmods.com which isn't a site anymore apparently.

I thought about using thin wood paneled wallpaper sort of stuff to cover the drive housings, but somewhat liked the looks of the brushed aluminum inside.

Yes, it has a window. Front side is 100% clear and slides in from the top, backside is 80% smoked plexi but when the lights are off you can see the UV glow very easily, but nothing else. Looks pretty cool.
January 7, 2007 10:26:20 PM

looks awsome man :D 

so when are you going to ship it to me :lol: 
January 7, 2007 10:26:41 PM

Thanks for a quick reply.

Keep us posted. Keep the pictures coming when all is done with the side panels. :D 
January 7, 2007 10:33:37 PM

Thanks sir.

I will be getting my PSU tom after class and have 5 hours to mess with stuff before work :)  Don't have a camera myself but gave the girlfriend one for christmas and my dad will be up to my school sometime in the next week and a half I think. Will post some lighted pics then, can use my 1 MP cell camera to tie over with some crappy pics tomorrow.
January 7, 2007 10:37:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks sir.

I will be getting my PSU tom after class and have 5 hours to mess with stuff before work :)  Don't have a camera myself but gave the girlfriend one for christmas and my dad will be up to my school sometime in the next week and a half I think. Will post some lighted pics then, can use my 1 MP cell camera to tie over with some crappy pics tomorrow.

very cool man.

oh and is your mma fight still on next month?
January 7, 2007 11:00:22 PM

dude thats fucking beautiful. i love it so much.

wish i could afford $500, id buy one for sure.

oh well. im very tempted to build one myself.
January 7, 2007 11:01:59 PM

Saturday the 20th. Will let you know how it goes if I remember. Thanks again for all the positive feedback guys! I really want to get some pics of the *complete* project as the others don't quite justify it.
January 7, 2007 11:03:32 PM

Heh, thanks. Good to be appreciated by a man of the cloth. I wonder if selling these things would be a good idea...I mean, I could produce a few in a weekend now that I've done it once...
January 7, 2007 11:11:03 PM

dude you should. how much do materials run you?
January 7, 2007 11:16:01 PM

oh and im not ackshally a reverend or anything.

nobody has ever made that mistake before. i wonder if people just assumed i am. i gotta find out.
January 7, 2007 11:25:28 PM

Can you show how you attached the MB inside and how the drive rails and such are attached? How about that PSU, how is it attached? Its a great looking case. Did you steal from another case to get your buttons to turn it off and on?
January 7, 2007 11:31:50 PM

Quote:
My idea is to make a glass fish tank case with teh components sealed inside. so it looks like its under water... and of course... fishys...

Good idea. I've seen it done before actually.

I was thinking a complete glass case. This of course would be ridiculously expense because I would have to pay someone to cut the glass (not like I can do it in my garage). I was thinking of making it extra wide to so I could attach 2 x (2 x 120mm) rads for separate cooling loops (one for CPU/Chipset, one for GPU's). Also part of the extra wide would be a plate of glass separating the computer from a full length reservoir. Meaning, the last 2-3" of width on the right side would be reservoir for my cooling loops, of course separated into 2 compartments.

We are talking probably $800-1000, and about 6 months of design to get this to work. But if I pull this off.... I guarantee you I will the envy of everyone for about a day.... till everyone gets over it lol. :wink:

---tool

go to maximumpc.com and enter in the rig of the month challenge, you could win some money and the rig is a VERY worthwhile entry. I've seen some bad rigs win, ones far worse than yours. Great job, keep up the good work. :p 
January 7, 2007 11:38:15 PM

Your case = L33t. Nuff said.
January 7, 2007 11:44:09 PM

That's really awesome, great work. It looks amazing, post more pics when you can :) 
January 7, 2007 11:52:47 PM

It looks amazing!!
great job
post more pics plz!!
That case roX
January 8, 2007 12:10:24 AM

Nice... very nice. Anti-static too! At least I think it should be...
January 8, 2007 12:15:36 AM

Quote:
Saturday the 20th. Will let you know how it goes if I remember. Thanks again for all the positive feedback guys! I really want to get some pics of the *complete* project as the others don't quite justify it.

wow, I thought I was the only mma fighter in pc forums :D 
Same nickname on Sherdog?
January 8, 2007 12:20:50 AM

very awesome job.

coupla questions- is everything in it customized, or could you pop out your mobo and stick in another down the line, ATX, microATX, and such? also how much does that thing weigh? and would the wood make heat an issue if you werent using watercooling?
January 8, 2007 12:27:01 AM

Quote:

wow, I thought I was the only mma fighter in pc forums :D 
Same nickname on Sherdog?

cool you to huh.

man some of those sherdoggers are very inmature.
compared to thg or techreport and some other forums.
January 8, 2007 12:35:49 AM

that's all about the thread and the answers you get. Sometimes I put on the "mask" too and I have lots of fun with those guys. But generally i'm polite :D 

Ready to see cro cop highkicking sylvia's head? :D 
January 8, 2007 12:49:05 AM

I am only a lurker at Sherdog. I never have anything to say that isn't going to get bashed to the ground by immature fakers or some guy hiding behind post count.

Materials cost about $150 mostly because I destroyed my Antec SuperLanboy in the process.

Yes, I can take out any pieces I want, everything is interchangeable including mobo/hdd/dvd burner etc. Only thing is I don't know if a different radiator will fit the way this one does as the box was cut to 3/16" longer than the current rad.

Mobo tray and drive rails are just screwed in using brass screws, nothing fancy. PSU is mounted on what I would call *tacky* tape and a secret suction cup underneath to prevent it from sliding around. Saving the details of that one to reveal later if I don't decide to build a few more for sale :p  I can say that it is incredibly solid and I wouldn't hesitate to turn it upside down.

With the airflow I have, I don't think wood would cause a heat issue but I will probably never know as it was designed to be a water cooled rig :) 

Weight? Not sure? Not any heavier than a big steel case full of water and a heavy PSU. 50 lbs? I may weigh it sometime, got me curious.
January 8, 2007 12:50:27 AM

yeah cro cop is gonna beat the big oaf.

sad that gsp injured his knee as he was gonna do the same
thing to serra as he did to hughes :lol: 
January 8, 2007 12:54:59 AM

The time will come...
January 8, 2007 1:02:22 AM

agian goodluck in your upcoming fight.

and after you win by k.o or ref stoppage post alink of a video
if you can.

oh and some more pics of your caes when it is all done :D 
January 8, 2007 1:02:24 AM

Very nice work. Beautiful finish. Are you sure you are not a cabinetmaker at heart.

I note that you have not included any extra cutout points for additional optical drives.

If you do decide to make another case out of wood, I would suggest that you consider using Birds-eye Maple (domestic North American - get the stuff with complex pattern) ) with Purpleheart (South American import - very hard, very dense, beautiful deep purple) trim. Use a plain oil, matt or satin, finish to bring out the colour and patterns.

I don't know where you are located, so the following URL will most likely be useful only as a reference point for what the woods look like. There are similar stores in the US.

For any number of very interesting hardwoods, this is a store that is very good: http://www.exotic-woods.com/
January 8, 2007 1:05:42 AM

I have to say well done. Great imagination and layout. I enjoyed following your progress before xmas so it was nice to see it happened and the final pics. Do you have stage by stage pics?
January 8, 2007 1:07:30 AM

Birds eye maple was going to be the wood of choice, but my local shop had nothing in 10" wide and all 8" wide was knotted and not as pretty as I would like. Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I am going to build another, I probably will as it was fun and a learning experience.

Sir, I know there is a camera crew that records all fights and sells a DVD for like $15 or something that they mail to your house, I will find out the name and see if they post any teaser clips on the web or anything like that.

Fights are called "Battle at the Barn" promoted by UCS (Ultimate Combat Sports) by my sisters boyfriend and girlfriend lives with them.
January 8, 2007 1:08:01 AM

Hmm... birdseye maple I like... but I think he'd be better with like padauk and Ziricote inlays just to give it a nice bold look. Purpleheart... I have that on part of my TGSS warr guitar.

As for the supply... I'd say http://www.righteouswoods.net/ would be better... but that's just me.
January 8, 2007 1:18:41 AM

Quote:
Sir, I know there is a camera crew that records all fights and sells a DVD for like $15 or something that they mail to your house, I will find out the name and see if they post any teaser clips on the web or anything like that.

Fights are called "Battle at the Barn" promoted by UCS (Ultimate Combat Sports) by my sisters boyfriend and girlfriend lives with them.

cool pm me when you have more info and ill buy a dvd or whatever.
January 8, 2007 1:25:41 AM

Very nice work on that case.
!