What does Take Ownership mean?

On Folder Redirection, as specified in the docs, I cannot look at users
folders on the server unless I either logon as them or take ownership.

If I take Ownership, does this mean they will not be able to use their
share and can I give ownership back?

Thanks for help.

<needin4mation@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Folder Redirection, as specified in the docs, I cannot look at users
> folders on the server unless I either logon as them or take ownership.
>
> If I take Ownership, does this mean they will not be able to use their
> share and can I give ownership back?
>
> Thanks for help.

Ownership can't be given away. Its purpose is to prevent accessing of
objects without the original owner's knowledge. Loss of ownership doesn't
affect access to the object(s).

In other words, the administrator is not God. If admin doesn't have access
to a given user's home folder and contents, for example, he can gain access
through ownership but not without the user's knowledge.