Need OTA HDTV Antenna Recommedations in Whittier, CA

Hi y'all.

I recently purchased an RCA DTC-100 receiver and will be using it to
receive DirectTV and OTA HDTV programming. I live in a two-story
house and have a direct line-of-sight to the transmitter towers on Mt.
Wilson less than 15 miles away. Over 90% of my OTA programming is
coming from Mt. Wilson including all of the HDTV. My sat dish is on
my roof about 25 feet up. My wife insists that I not put up a "big
ugly antenna" on my roof to receive OTA signals(please, no flames).
So I bought a Terk TV44 clip on antenna but I was very disappointed.
Hell, my rabbit ears inside my house had better reception!

What I would like is an antenna that is compact and that I could pipe
the signal through the same coax as my satellite with the use of
diplexers (like I was doing with the Terk) so that I wouldn't have to
run additional wires into the house(another wife requirement).

Thanx for any help.
7 answers Last reply
More about need hdtv antenna recommedations whittier

    You are right, the TV44 does not seem to work. If rabbit ears work why
    not a better set with a pre-amp built in maybe you can even find one at
    looks OK. Also are the OTA channels UHF, VHF or both. If UHF a small 4
    bow-tie type antenna should work well. (I don't, however, know much
    about sending the antenna signal down a Dish cable.)
    Good luck.

    El Mojado wrote:
    > Hi y'all.
    >
    > I recently purchased an RCA DTC-100 receiver and will be using it to
    > receive DirectTV and OTA HDTV programming. I live in a two-story
    > house and have a direct line-of-sight to the transmitter towers on Mt.
    > Wilson less than 15 miles away. Over 90% of my OTA programming is
    > coming from Mt. Wilson including all of the HDTV. My sat dish is on
    > my roof about 25 feet up. My wife insists that I not put up a "big
    > ugly antenna" on my roof to receive OTA signals(please, no flames).
    > So I bought a Terk TV44 clip on antenna but I was very disappointed.
    > Hell, my rabbit ears inside my house had better reception!
    >
    > What I would like is an antenna that is compact and that I could pipe
    > the signal through the same coax as my satellite with the use of
    > diplexers (like I was doing with the Terk) so that I wouldn't have to
    > run additional wires into the house(another wife requirement).
    >
    > Thanx for any help.

    Duplex is industry standard. As I said in an earlier post I had reception
    problems develop over time that was finally found to be duplexer in the
    cable. I ran a separate OTA cable and the problem disappeared.

    mojado44@yahoo.com (El Mojado) wrote in

    > Hi y'all.
    >
    > I recently purchased an RCA DTC-100 receiver and will be using it to
    > receive DirectTV and OTA HDTV programming. I live in a two-story
    > house and have a direct line-of-sight to the transmitter towers on Mt.
    > Wilson less than 15 miles away. Over 90% of my OTA programming is
    > coming from Mt. Wilson including all of the HDTV. My sat dish is on
    > my roof about 25 feet up. My wife insists that I not put up a "big
    > ugly antenna" on my roof to receive OTA signals(please, no flames).
    > So I bought a Terk TV44 clip on antenna but I was very disappointed.
    > Hell, my rabbit ears inside my house had better reception!

    Try a zenith silver sensor (sold at Sears and elsewhere). I'm around 40
    miles away from Mt Wilson and get the major channels in L.A.

    I live 45 miles from my towers. I have the same experiencs with a
    terk 55, i.e. terrible. Old rabbit ears worked better. What a scam.

    I got a 15-880 amplified indoor antenna from radio shack for $50. It
    gets pretty much all the stations but I have to move it a few degrees
    between stations to point right at the towers. Since you are closer
    it will probably pick your stations up no problem. I'd give it a try,
    you can always return it.

    I am currently installing a channel master 4228 outside so I can get
    all stations without having to mess with anything, and maybe getting
    some more stations. But it's about 4'X4' so it's pretty ugly.

    I have an indoor OTA amplified antenna that works great when you have good
    line of sight. Flat, indiscreet, easy to use. Even has an extra input. Got
    it at Best Buy, think it is a Jensen.

    in article 5948648043.8554256396.38092@news.verizon.net, darius at
    noone@here.invalid wrote on 4/15/04 4:15 PM:

    > mojado44@yahoo.com (El Mojado) wrote in
    >
    >> Hi y'all.
    >>
    >> I recently purchased an RCA DTC-100 receiver and will be using it to
    >> receive DirectTV and OTA HDTV programming. I live in a two-story
    >> house and have a direct line-of-sight to the transmitter towers on Mt.
    >> Wilson less than 15 miles away. Over 90% of my OTA programming is
    >> coming from Mt. Wilson including all of the HDTV. My sat dish is on
    >> my roof about 25 feet up. My wife insists that I not put up a "big
    >> ugly antenna" on my roof to receive OTA signals(please, no flames).
    >> So I bought a Terk TV44 clip on antenna but I was very disappointed.
    >> Hell, my rabbit ears inside my house had better reception!
    >>

    > Try a zenith silver sensor (sold at Sears and elsewhere). I'm around 40
    > miles away from Mt Wilson and get the major channels in L.A.

    All the digital tv broadcasts off Mt. Wilson are UHF. I'm in Redondo Beach,
    about 30 miles from Mt. Wilson. I recently installed a Channel Master
    3021/4221 UHF only antenna. It passed the ugly test with my wife and
    neighbors. For a picture see this URL:

    http://www.channelmaster.com/images/3021_4221.jpg

    I pull in all the digital stations that are broadcast from Mt. Wilson
    (nearly 20 channels with some HD programming on at least seven or eight).
    It's installed on a 10' mast with no amplifier and about a 50' cable run to
    my receiver. I pointed it by eye (for me, about 30 degrees east of north). I
    simply took an auto club map and drew a line from my location to Mt. Wilson
    and measured the angle. You could also go to www.antennaweb.org , but they
    give a bearing relative to magnetic north.

    I ordered the antenna at my local Ace Hardware store on a Monday and picked
    it up the following Thursday. I paid $27 plus tax (no shipping).
    Alternatively you can order it from the Ace site and have it shipped for
    free to the store...but in that case the local store doesn't get any profit.

    Here's a link to a page at the Ace hardware site

    http://www.acehardware.com/entry.jsp?source=PE&entry=1291860

    good luck

    --jay

    "El Mojado" <mojado44@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi y'all.
    >
    > I recently purchased an RCA DTC-100 receiver and will be using it to
    > receive DirectTV and OTA HDTV programming. I live in a two-story
    > house and have a direct line-of-sight to the transmitter towers on Mt.
    > Wilson less than 15 miles away. Over 90% of my OTA programming is
    > coming from Mt. Wilson including all of the HDTV. My sat dish is on
    > my roof about 25 feet up. My wife insists that I not put up a "big
    > ugly antenna" on my roof to receive OTA signals(please, no flames).
    > So I bought a Terk TV44 clip on antenna but I was very disappointed.
    > Hell, my rabbit ears inside my house had better reception!
    >
    > What I would like is an antenna that is compact and that I could pipe
    > the signal through the same coax as my satellite with the use of
    > diplexers (like I was doing with the Terk) so that I wouldn't have to
    > run additional wires into the house(another wife requirement).
    >
    > Thanx for any help.

    A Radio Shack 15-1880 works pretty well if put at an upstairs window
    facing in the general direction of the tower. However, BE SURE to rotate
    the UHF loop so that it looks like a figure-8. It comes out of the box lying
    on its side like the symbol for infinity, and gives poor reception that way.

    I am in the South San Francisco Bay area, and can get all the SF digital
    stations about 30 miles away, and even a Novato station about 45 miles
    away with a single antenna location. ( I can also get some relatively close
    stations even though they are in an entirely different direction.)

    I would like to get KRCB-DT, which is about 70 miles away. This does not
    come in routinely. However, using a Zenith Silver Sensor directly attached
    to a ChannelMaster 7775 preamp, I have been able to lock in KRCB-DT
    most of the time when the weather is hot and dry (but not at all when
    the weather is cold or wet).

    Surprisingly, I can pick up an analog station that is 90 miles away fairly
    well. The reception is stable, although there is snow, if I put the antenna
    in a "hot spot" for that channel. The line of sight to this (and also to KRCB)
    is mostly over the water of SF Bay.

    Paul

    --
    Email: lastname at best dot com. No spam please.
    All spam will be complained to sender's ISP.

HDTV Programming Home Theatre