System won't boot after move

bankarin

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Hey all. I've got a homebuilt system that was running great until after we changed apartments. My kids (or someone helping with the move) apparently turned the case upside down (It's a desktop style Antec case) and somehow broke the stock Intel heatsink and fan off it. They also managed to break off one of the heatsink legs so it won't latch onto the mobo anymore. I went out and bought a Gigabyte G-Power lite cooler (was a temp measure until I got my tax return), cleaned the system out and installed it and now the system starts to power up and turns right off. I did take off the heatsink and fan for the video card to give it a cleaning, put fresh thermal paste on it and put it back in the system. I don't think that's what caused the problem though. I've removed the mobo and double checked for any possible grounds, went down to just the Video card and CPU to try and boot but no go. I lifted and inspected the Mobo for any cracks and I did see some wrinkling in the general area where the heatsink connected to the underside of the mobo, but nothing looks broken. I'd like some advice so I know if I'm out a desktop until taxes or if I can get back and save the system. I'll list the specs for reference.

Mobo: Asus P5B-VM
Video: BFG 7800GT
RAM: 2GB (1GB x2) G.Skill DDR2 800
Sound: SB X-FI
CPU: E6600
HD: 1 WD Caviar SE 1 Maxtor Both SATA
Burner: Mad Dog DL

Thanks in advance all.

bankarin

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks. I did do a complete breakdown and reassemble and still no go. I'm thinking that the MB did crack in one of the middle layers and I'm out until taxes. My girl's going to want to kill me though cause the stuff I have saved on a wish list isn't exactly cheap...lol. New video card was already on the list, but now I've had to add a MB, Case and PS. Anyone know where Asus is selling it's new R.O.G. MB's? If anyone else can think of a possible fix that'll save my current build it'd be great. If not, well, at least I'll be set for another 6 months. Thanks again!