Need Help/Feedback on new build

Tung

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
I'm a noob at computers, thats why I'm here in desperate need of your help/feedback. I'm building a new computer to replace my really old P4 2.4ghz. This build is going to be mostly used for video editing programs like Avid, PhotoShop, AfterEffects, etc. (I do plan to OC in the future, but not right away and I live in Canada if that matters)

Here are the components I have chosen:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz (will get quad eventually)
MB: Gigabyte 965p-Q6
RAM: Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024) *Changed because OCZ has too many problems and incompatibility.
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700 Watt Power Supply, Dual GPU, SLI (I'm totally clueless about PSU, so some help in this area would be appreciated)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 400GB SATA NCQ 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache (OEM) and 2 IDE Western Digital 250 GB From Old Computer
GPU: $250 Budget for Graphic cards (Any Recommendations?)
CASE: Have a list of all the ones I like, going to check them out in stores.
COOLER: I don't think I need one since I'm not OCing' right away. Stock Fans will probably be okay for now.

Is it all compatible? Please Help.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I'm a noob at computers, thats why I'm here in desperate need of your help/feedback. I'm building a new computer to replace my really old P4 2.4ghz. This build is going to be mostly used for video editing programs like Avid, PhotoShop, AfterEffects, etc. (I do plan to OC in the future, but not right away and I live in Canada if that matters)

Here are the components I have chosen:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz (will get quad eventually)
MB: P5W DH Deluxe Socket 775 Intel 975X + ICH7R Chipset
RAM: OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Gold XTC 2GB (2x1024MB) Dual Channel (Good?)
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600 Watt Power Supply, Dual GPU, SLI (I'm totally clueless about PSU, so some help in this area would be appreciated)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 400GB SATA NCQ 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache (OEM) and 2 IDE Western Digital 250 GB From Old Computer
GPU: $250 Budget for Graphic cards (Any Recommendations, Probably going with ATI since it gives more performance/price ratio)
CASE: Haven't decided on case yet, but it shouldn't be that important.
COOLER: I don't think I need one since I'm not OCing' right away. Stock Fans will probably be okay for now.

Is it all compatible? Please Help.

Is it all compatible? Yes... absolutely... now I would change a couple things.

Maybe get a mobo that has the ICH8R southbridge since it's slightly faster than the one you're looking at (although that doesn't really matter since you're not using RAID)

Something like this maybe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131070

Just a suggestion.

Now... for the video card... you're not going to need a really powerful GPU, maybe get like... an ATI card... Now... only the GeForce 8 series is DX 10 compatible but for what you're doing that doesn't seem to be relevant so I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102022

As for everything else... it looks good. That PSU looks fine for what you're doing. If you need anything else just let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Anyways, happy building!

EDIT: The case... what exactly are you looking for in a case and what's the budget on the case?

P.S. Welcome to the Forumz!

Tung

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
I'm looking at all the customer reviews for this board, and it looks like it has a few concerning of problems such as the on-board audio (alot of compliants about this one), floppy not working, CPU temp is too high (due to maybe MB misreading it), Some RAM types not compatible with this MB (Hope my ram is compatible), etc. Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but are there solutions to fixing these problems if I do come upon them? or should I be worry.

Not sure how to read on whether this is the 1.02g MOBO or not
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011413&cid=MB.157

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Yes... I did see the reviews... and no, you're not overanalylzing the situation.

Now... for any troubles should you get that board... although the board you had originally chosen is quite a nice board, I was just throwing the other out as an example, you could use BIOS updates as a solution to the problem... or get a soundcard I suppose.

Now... as for RAM compatibility... that all depends on how much you're going to OC... because 533 or 667 MHz is usually good enough for most people... even some OCers... but if you're really going high you can use that 800MHz. Again, it all depends on how much you're going to OC.

Now... I'm not really an expert per-sae when it comes to some of this stuff so do take what I say with a grain of salt. If you want some expert advice then you can ask DaSickNinja, or Wusy (that is if wusy is still around).

EDIT: Now that mobo on the link... looks pretty good. Great RAM support, of course has great CPU support, pretty good features overall. So I'd say... just ask a few more people around and you'll be pretty good to go.