Unarmed Strike as Melee Weapon

Does anyone know why NWN and SoU both accept unarmed strike as a melee
weapon for the purposes of weapon focus and improved criticals, but with the
release of HotU, the new feats and prestige classes no longer accept them.
Prime examples are overwhelming critical, and the weaponmaster prestige
class. Was this a deliberate change or just an oversight. I've got a monk
I've been playing for awhile and wanted to multiclass with weaponsmaster but
I can't and I really don't want to start a new character.

It was deliberate on the reasoning that a Weaponsmaster becomes almost
One with his weapon and a fist is already attached so you are one with
it if you are a monk.

On 10-Apr-2004, Mark Nelson <manelson@knology.net> wrote:

> It was deliberate on the reasoning that a Weaponsmaster becomes almost
> One with his weapon and a fist is already attached so you are one with
> it if you are a monk.

Which is flawed, since in 3e the Weapon Master PrC was allowed with Unarmed
Strike as your weapon of choice. Why they chose not to allow it seems silly,
but that's about all you can expect from a PC game.

Dale Stockham wrote:
> Does anyone know why NWN and SoU both accept unarmed strike as a melee
> weapon for the purposes of weapon focus and improved criticals, but with the
> release of HotU, the new feats and prestige classes no longer accept them.
> Prime examples are overwhelming critical, and the weaponmaster prestige
> class. Was this a deliberate change or just an oversight. I've got a monk
> I've been playing for awhile and wanted to multiclass with weaponsmaster but
> I can't and I really don't want to start a new character.

You could do a Monk/Weapon Master using the Kama if you wanted. Okay so
you'd have to spend extra's doing up unarmed as well but you don't lose
the Monk's unarmed bonuses with Kama so you could simply forget the
Unarmed feats and stick with Kama.

Personally I'm not into that I prefer straight forward Unarmed, but
that's just the way I role play my Monk.

LR

--
Baruch Habba Bashem Adonai
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord

LoneRiver