IE/Explorer apps hang midstream

Windows 2000 Server, SP4, fully patched (via automatic updates & Safe
Mode)

Suddenly, various IE/Explorer apps will not completely load; they
startup but hang in mid-load.
EX:
1) Start | Search | Files or Folders -- the Search screen loads, but
the hourglass remains, and the cursor does not appear/I cannot click
in any fields to type
2) Starting IE -- the browser loads, but then hangs upon "Web site
found..."
3) Windows Explorer - loads and the directory tree appears in the
left-hand pane; but when I try to expand or double-click into a
directory, it does nothing

All of these work fine in Safe Mode. I also did a full virus scan in
Safe Mode and real mode, but there is nothing. I also run SpyBot and
Ad-aware and removed the few tracking cookies it found.

I updated the video and network drivers; I also downloaded and
installed the latest IE6 from Microsoft (via Firefox, which installed
and works fine). Checked the Run... registry entries and found nothing
that shouldn't be there.

Suggestions? Am I heading for a re-install of the server?

Thanks,

--EdB
1 answer Last reply
More about explorer apps hang midstream

    FIXED!

    It was the APC PowerChute software referred to in a similar thread:

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 04:37:04 GMT, balancer@iname.com (EdB) wrote:

    >Windows 2000 Server, SP4, fully patched (via automatic updates & Safe
    >Mode)
    >
    >Suddenly, various IE/Explorer apps will not completely load; they
    >startup but hang in mid-load.
    >EX:
    >1) Start | Search | Files or Folders -- the Search screen loads, but
    >the hourglass remains, and the cursor does not appear/I cannot click
    >in any fields to type
    >2) Starting IE -- the browser loads, but then hangs upon "Web site
    >found..."
    >3) Windows Explorer - loads and the directory tree appears in the
    >left-hand pane; but when I try to expand or double-click into a
    >directory, it does nothing
    >
    >All of these work fine in Safe Mode. I also did a full virus scan in
    >Safe Mode and real mode, but there is nothing. I also run SpyBot and
    >Ad-aware and removed the few tracking cookies it found.
    >
    >I updated the video and network drivers; I also downloaded and
    >installed the latest IE6 from Microsoft (via Firefox, which installed
    >and works fine). Checked the Run... registry entries and found nothing
    >that shouldn't be there.
    >
    >Suggestions? Am I heading for a re-install of the server?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >--EdB

Internet Explorer Explorer Windows