IE/Explorer apps hang midstream

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 13, 2005 8:37:04 AM

Windows 2000 Server, SP4, fully patched (via automatic updates & Safe
Mode)

Suddenly, various IE/Explorer apps will not completely load; they
startup but hang in mid-load.
EX:
1) Start | Search | Files or Folders -- the Search screen loads, but
the hourglass remains, and the cursor does not appear/I cannot click
in any fields to type
2) Starting IE -- the browser loads, but then hangs upon "Web site
found..."
3) Windows Explorer - loads and the directory tree appears in the
left-hand pane; but when I try to expand or double-click into a
directory, it does nothing

All of these work fine in Safe Mode. I also did a full virus scan in
Safe Mode and real mode, but there is nothing. I also run SpyBot and
Ad-aware and removed the few tracking cookies it found.

I updated the video and network drivers; I also downloaded and
installed the latest IE6 from Microsoft (via Firefox, which installed
and works fine). Checked the Run... registry entries and found nothing
that shouldn't be there.

Suggestions? Am I heading for a re-install of the server?

Thanks,

--EdB
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 7:38:37 PM

FIXED!

It was the APC PowerChute software referred to in a similar thread:

!