A Problem with Adding 2nd Hard Drive to Windows 2000

I have a Dell PowerEdge 500SC server running Windows 2000 Server. (Bios
Revision A03)

It currently has one IBM Deskstar 60 GB hard drive.

I just bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO).

Both drives are set to "cable select" with the original IBM drive being the
Master, and Maxtor being the Slave.

Upon boot-up, I got this error:

"Boot Record Signature AA55 Not Found
The system did not load because of a computer disk hardware configuration
problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk."

What can I do to resolve this?

Thank you.
24 answers Last reply
More about problem adding hard drive windows 2000

    I just installed a Maxtor 160Gig second drive into two 500SC servers running
    W2K3 in the same config you have (cable select/slave) with no issues.

    According to the drive installation booklet you must be running Windows 2000
    SP3 or higher (higher meaning XP, Windows 2003, etc).

    Did you follow the instructions? By that I mean, did you first physically
    install the drive, second, run the installation CD (before trying to access
    the drive in Windows!)? The instructions worked well for me. I have the
    full 160GB formatted as one drive.

    -Frank

    Bob wrote:
    > I have a Dell PowerEdge 500SC server running Windows 2000 Server. (Bios
    > Revision A03)
    >
    > It currently has one IBM Deskstar 60 GB hard drive.
    >
    > I just bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO).
    >
    > Both drives are set to "cable select" with the original IBM drive being the
    > Master, and Maxtor being the Slave.
    >
    > Upon boot-up, I got this error:
    >
    > "Boot Record Signature AA55 Not Found
    > The system did not load because of a computer disk hardware configuration
    > problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk."
    >
    > What can I do to resolve this?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Using a "cable select" ribbon cable to connect the two
    hard drives and the drives are positioned accordingly on
    the cable? But if using a normal cable, then the drives
    must be jumpered as Master and Slave.

    > Using a "cable select" ribbon cable to connect the two
    > hard drives and the drives are positioned accordingly on
    > the cable? But if using a normal cable, then the drives
    > must be jumpered as Master and Slave.

    My Dell 500SCs both came with cable select cables installed.

    -Frank

    That's good news, Frankster!

    My Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO) is an OEM drive.
    That means, it came without any instructions or CD. Just the bare drive.
    :(

    Can you tell me what programs the installation CD contains? Which programs
    do I need to run? (I hope I can gather all of those from the Maxtor.com
    website.)

    My 500SC has bios A03. Do I need any update, or is that revision adequate?

    As a test, I installed this same HD on a brand new Dell Dimension computer
    (as a slave drive). It runs Windows XP. It had no problem recognizing the
    drive and I was able to partition and format it as well. Now, I just need
    to make it work on my Dell PowerEdge 500SC.

    Thanks for your help!

    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed a Maxtor 160Gig second drive into two 500SC servers
    running
    > W2K3 in the same config you have (cable select/slave) with no issues.
    >
    > According to the drive installation booklet you must be running Windows
    2000
    > SP3 or higher (higher meaning XP, Windows 2003, etc).
    >
    > Did you follow the instructions? By that I mean, did you first physically
    > install the drive, second, run the installation CD (before trying to
    access
    > the drive in Windows!)? The instructions worked well for me. I have the
    > full 160GB formatted as one drive.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Dell PowerEdge 500SC server running Windows 2000 Server. (Bios
    > > Revision A03)
    > >
    > > It currently has one IBM Deskstar 60 GB hard drive.
    > >
    > > I just bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO).
    > >
    > > Both drives are set to "cable select" with the original IBM drive being
    > > the
    > > Master, and Maxtor being the Slave.
    > >
    > > Upon boot-up, I got this error:
    > >
    > > "Boot Record Signature AA55 Not Found
    > > The system did not load because of a computer disk hardware
    configuration
    > > problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk."
    > >
    > > What can I do to resolve this?
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    Yup, cable-wise, I think everything is correct. I just don't have the
    "installation CD" that you referred to because it's an OEM drive. :-(

    > > Using a "cable select" ribbon cable to connect the two
    > > hard drives and the drives are positioned accordingly on
    > > the cable? But if using a normal cable, then the drives
    > > must be jumpered as Master and Slave.
    >
    > My Dell 500SCs both came with cable select cables installed.
    >
    > -Frank

    The CD contains, basically, a program that does a registry adjustment to
    allow for LBA (large block support - or similar) to allow the entire drive
    to be recognized. It also partitions and formats the drive, giving you a
    choice of a data drive (what I chose) or a boot drive.

    I just looked at the Maxtor website and I believe the one you want is
    "Maxblast 4 For Windows". Have a look yourself.

    > That's good news, Frankster!
    >
    > My Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO) is an OEM drive.
    > That means, it came without any instructions or CD. Just the bare drive.
    > :(
    >
    > Can you tell me what programs the installation CD contains? Which
    > programs
    > do I need to run? (I hope I can gather all of those from the Maxtor.com
    > website.)
    >
    > My 500SC has bios A03. Do I need any update, or is that revision
    > adequate?
    >
    > As a test, I installed this same HD on a brand new Dell Dimension computer
    > (as a slave drive). It runs Windows XP. It had no problem recognizing
    > the
    > drive and I was able to partition and format it as well. Now, I just need
    > to make it work on my Dell PowerEdge 500SC.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >

    > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >> I just installed a Maxtor 160Gig second drive into two 500SC servers
    > running
    >> W2K3 in the same config you have (cable select/slave) with no issues.
    >>
    >> According to the drive installation booklet you must be running Windows
    > 2000
    >> SP3 or higher (higher meaning XP, Windows 2003, etc).
    >>
    >> Did you follow the instructions? By that I mean, did you first
    >> physically
    >> install the drive, second, run the installation CD (before trying to
    > access
    >> the drive in Windows!)? The instructions worked well for me. I have the
    >> full 160GB formatted as one drive.
    >>
    >> -Frank
    >>
    >> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a Dell PowerEdge 500SC server running Windows 2000 Server. (Bios
    >> > Revision A03)
    >> >
    >> > It currently has one IBM Deskstar 60 GB hard drive.
    >> >
    >> > I just bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO).
    >> >
    >> > Both drives are set to "cable select" with the original IBM drive being
    >> > the
    >> > Master, and Maxtor being the Slave.
    >> >
    >> > Upon boot-up, I got this error:
    >> >
    >> > "Boot Record Signature AA55 Not Found
    >> > The system did not load because of a computer disk hardware
    > configuration
    >> > problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk."
    >> >
    >> > What can I do to resolve this?
    >> >
    >> > Thank you.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thanks, Frankster.

    Does Maxblast 4 for Windows modify the Dell PowerEdge 500SC bios? Does it
    modify my original IBM Deskstar boot drive? And finally, does it modify my
    new Maxtor drive?

    > The CD contains, basically, a program that does a registry adjustment to
    > allow for LBA (large block support - or similar) to allow the entire drive
    > to be recognized. It also partitions and formats the drive, giving you a
    > choice of a data drive (what I chose) or a boot drive.
    >
    > I just looked at the Maxtor website and I believe the one you want is
    > "Maxblast 4 For Windows". Have a look yourself.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > That's good news, Frankster!
    > >
    > > My Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO) is an OEM
    drive.
    > > That means, it came without any instructions or CD. Just the bare
    drive.
    > > :(
    > >
    > > Can you tell me what programs the installation CD contains? Which
    > > programs
    > > do I need to run? (I hope I can gather all of those from the Maxtor.com
    > > website.)
    > >
    > > My 500SC has bios A03. Do I need any update, or is that revision
    > > adequate?
    > >
    > > As a test, I installed this same HD on a brand new Dell Dimension
    computer
    > > (as a slave drive). It runs Windows XP. It had no problem recognizing
    > > the
    > > drive and I was able to partition and format it as well. Now, I just
    need
    > > to make it work on my Dell PowerEdge 500SC.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help!
    > >

    > > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    > >> I just installed a Maxtor 160Gig second drive into two 500SC servers
    > > running
    > >> W2K3 in the same config you have (cable select/slave) with no issues.
    > >>
    > >> According to the drive installation booklet you must be running Windows
    > > 2000
    > >> SP3 or higher (higher meaning XP, Windows 2003, etc).
    > >>
    > >> Did you follow the instructions? By that I mean, did you first
    > >> physically
    > >> install the drive, second, run the installation CD (before trying to
    > > access
    > >> the drive in Windows!)? The instructions worked well for me. I have
    the
    > >> full 160GB formatted as one drive.
    > >>
    > >> -Frank
    > >>
    > >> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    (Bios

    > > configuration

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    - No modification to the original IBM drive (I have one of these also in
    mine)
    - No modification to the BIOS (in fact, the BIOS screen will remain adjusted
    to No Drive Installed, rather than showing the type).
    - It does modify the new drive in the sense that it partitions and formats
    it, that's all.

    I am one that is usually suspect of drive utilities. In the olden days
    (smile!) I used to go to great lengths to do everything manually so as not
    to rely on any proprietary format that might not work in another machine. So
    I think I understand your concern. I will say however that I have "got over"
    those days and now simply make sure I perform suitable backups of important
    data so I can recover the data to another machine if/when necessary.

    Having said that, I will also say that I really liked the Maxtor Maxblast
    software. It worked well and as near as I can tell would work just as well
    on any W2K SP3 or above computer. Bottom line, I was happy with it and feel
    comfortable that it is sound software.

    > Thanks, Frankster.
    >
    > Does Maxblast 4 for Windows modify the Dell PowerEdge 500SC bios? Does it
    > modify my original IBM Deskstar boot drive? And finally, does it modify
    > my
    > new Maxtor drive?
    >

    > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >> The CD contains, basically, a program that does a registry adjustment to
    >> allow for LBA (large block support - or similar) to allow the entire
    >> drive
    >> to be recognized. It also partitions and formats the drive, giving you a
    >> choice of a data drive (what I chose) or a boot drive.
    >>
    >> I just looked at the Maxtor website and I believe the one you want is
    >> "Maxblast 4 For Windows". Have a look yourself.
    >>
    >> -Frank
    >>
    >> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > That's good news, Frankster!
    >> >
    >> > My Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO) is an OEM
    > drive.
    >> > That means, it came without any instructions or CD. Just the bare
    > drive.
    >> > :(
    >> >
    >> > Can you tell me what programs the installation CD contains? Which
    >> > programs
    >> > do I need to run? (I hope I can gather all of those from the
    >> > Maxtor.com
    >> > website.)
    >> >
    >> > My 500SC has bios A03. Do I need any update, or is that revision
    >> > adequate?
    >> >
    >> > As a test, I installed this same HD on a brand new Dell Dimension
    > computer
    >> > (as a slave drive). It runs Windows XP. It had no problem recognizing
    >> > the
    >> > drive and I was able to partition and format it as well. Now, I just
    > need
    >> > to make it work on my Dell PowerEdge 500SC.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help!
    >> >

    >> > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >> > running

    >> > 2000

    >> > access
    > the

    > (Bios

    > 6L200PO).

    > being

    >> > configuration

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thanks, Frank. I'm downloading the Maxblast software now from Maxtor.com.

    Will report back if it works or not. Thanks again. :)

    > - No modification to the original IBM drive (I have one of these also in
    > mine)
    > - No modification to the BIOS (in fact, the BIOS screen will remain
    adjusted
    > to No Drive Installed, rather than showing the type).
    > - It does modify the new drive in the sense that it partitions and formats
    > it, that's all.
    >
    > I am one that is usually suspect of drive utilities. In the olden days
    > (smile!) I used to go to great lengths to do everything manually so as not
    > to rely on any proprietary format that might not work in another machine.
    So
    > I think I understand your concern. I will say however that I have "got
    over"
    > those days and now simply make sure I perform suitable backups of
    important
    > data so I can recover the data to another machine if/when necessary.
    >
    > Having said that, I will also say that I really liked the Maxtor Maxblast
    > software. It worked well and as near as I can tell would work just as well
    > on any W2K SP3 or above computer. Bottom line, I was happy with it and
    feel
    > comfortable that it is sound software.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Frankster.
    > >
    > > Does Maxblast 4 for Windows modify the Dell PowerEdge 500SC bios? Does
    it
    > > modify my original IBM Deskstar boot drive? And finally, does it modify
    > > my
    > > new Maxtor drive?
    > >

    > > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    > >> The CD contains, basically, a program that does a registry adjustment
    > >> allow for LBA (large block support - or similar) to allow the entire
    > >> drive
    > >> to be recognized. It also partitions and formats the drive, giving you
    > >> choice of a data drive (what I chose) or a boot drive.
    > >>
    > >> I just looked at the Maxtor website and I believe the one you want is
    > >> "Maxblast 4 For Windows". Have a look yourself.
    > >>
    > >> -Frank
    > >>
    > >> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > > drive.
    > > drive.

    > > computer
    > > need

    > > the

    > > (Bios

    > > 6L200PO).

    > > being

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Frank, I'm downloading the MaxBlast 4 Bootable CD .ISO Image File right now.

    My Maxtor drive is 200 GB. Do I also need the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler (or,
    does MaxBlast 4 already contain it?)?

    Link:
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=11

    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    > - No modification to the original IBM drive (I have one of these also in
    > mine)
    > - No modification to the BIOS (in fact, the BIOS screen will remain
    adjusted
    > to No Drive Installed, rather than showing the type).
    > - It does modify the new drive in the sense that it partitions and formats
    > it, that's all.
    >
    > I am one that is usually suspect of drive utilities. In the olden days
    > (smile!) I used to go to great lengths to do everything manually so as not
    > to rely on any proprietary format that might not work in another machine.
    So
    > I think I understand your concern. I will say however that I have "got
    over"
    > those days and now simply make sure I perform suitable backups of
    important
    > data so I can recover the data to another machine if/when necessary.
    >
    > Having said that, I will also say that I really liked the Maxtor Maxblast
    > software. It worked well and as near as I can tell would work just as well
    > on any W2K SP3 or above computer. Bottom line, I was happy with it and
    feel
    > comfortable that it is sound software.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Frankster.
    > >
    > > Does Maxblast 4 for Windows modify the Dell PowerEdge 500SC bios? Does
    it
    > > modify my original IBM Deskstar boot drive? And finally, does it modify
    > > my
    > > new Maxtor drive?
    > >

    > > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    > >> The CD contains, basically, a program that does a registry adjustment
    > >> allow for LBA (large block support - or similar) to allow the entire
    > >> drive
    > >> to be recognized. It also partitions and formats the drive, giving you
    > >> choice of a data drive (what I chose) or a boot drive.
    > >>
    > >> I just looked at the Maxtor website and I believe the one you want is
    > >> "Maxblast 4 For Windows". Have a look yourself.
    > >>
    > >> -Frank
    > >>
    > >> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > > drive.
    > > drive.

    > > computer
    > > need

    > > the

    > > (Bios

    > > 6L200PO).

    > > being

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Since the on-line description says....

    "Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler is a one step executable that enables support
    for drives larger than 137 Gigabytes in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and XP
    Service Pack 1."

    I'd guess that you might need it. However, XP is now at SP2. So... I
    suppose it is entirely likely that SP2 included this type of "fix". So, I
    can't be sure. I just used the CD straight out, according to the
    instructions, and everything worked. I didn't try to install the drive
    "manually" in advance.

    > Frank, I'm downloading the MaxBlast 4 Bootable CD .ISO Image File right
    > now.
    >
    > My Maxtor drive is 200 GB. Do I also need the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler
    > (or,
    > does MaxBlast 4 already contain it?)?
    >
    > Link:
    > http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=11
    >

    > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >> - No modification to the original IBM drive (I have one of these also in
    >> mine)
    >> - No modification to the BIOS (in fact, the BIOS screen will remain
    > adjusted
    >> to No Drive Installed, rather than showing the type).
    >> - It does modify the new drive in the sense that it partitions and
    >> formats
    >> it, that's all.
    >>
    >> I am one that is usually suspect of drive utilities. In the olden days
    >> (smile!) I used to go to great lengths to do everything manually so as
    >> not
    >> to rely on any proprietary format that might not work in another machine.
    > So
    >> I think I understand your concern. I will say however that I have "got
    > over"
    >> those days and now simply make sure I perform suitable backups of
    > important
    >> data so I can recover the data to another machine if/when necessary.
    >>
    >> Having said that, I will also say that I really liked the Maxtor Maxblast
    >> software. It worked well and as near as I can tell would work just as
    >> well
    >> on any W2K SP3 or above computer. Bottom line, I was happy with it and
    > feel
    >> comfortable that it is sound software.
    >>
    >> -Frank
    >>
    >> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, Frankster.
    >> >
    >> > Does Maxblast 4 for Windows modify the Dell PowerEdge 500SC bios? Does
    > it
    >> > modify my original IBM Deskstar boot drive? And finally, does it
    >> > modify
    >> > my
    >> > new Maxtor drive?
    >> >

    >> > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message

    >> > drive.
    >> > drive.

    >> > computer
    > recognizing
    >> > need

    > issues.

    >> > the

    >> > (Bios

    >> > 6L200PO).

    >> > being

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Oh... I see what you mean... sorry... My CD already contained it! That was
    the "registry adjuster" I was speaking of.

    -Frank

    > Since the on-line description says....
    >
    > "Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler is a one step executable that enables support
    > for drives larger than 137 Gigabytes in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and XP
    > Service Pack 1."
    >
    > I'd guess that you might need it. However, XP is now at SP2. So... I
    > suppose it is entirely likely that SP2 included this type of "fix". So, I
    > can't be sure. I just used the CD straight out, according to the
    > instructions, and everything worked. I didn't try to install the drive
    > "manually" in advance.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Frank, I'm downloading the MaxBlast 4 Bootable CD .ISO Image File right
    >> now.
    >>
    >> My Maxtor drive is 200 GB. Do I also need the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler
    >> (or,
    >> does MaxBlast 4 already contain it?)?
    >>
    >> Link:
    >> http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=11
    >>

    >> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >>> - No modification to the original IBM drive (I have one of these also in
    >>> mine)
    >>> - No modification to the BIOS (in fact, the BIOS screen will remain
    >> adjusted
    >>> to No Drive Installed, rather than showing the type).
    >>> - It does modify the new drive in the sense that it partitions and
    >>> formats
    >>> it, that's all.
    >>>
    >>> I am one that is usually suspect of drive utilities. In the olden days
    >>> (smile!) I used to go to great lengths to do everything manually so as
    >>> not
    >>> to rely on any proprietary format that might not work in another
    >>> machine.
    >> So
    >>> I think I understand your concern. I will say however that I have "got
    >> over"
    >>> those days and now simply make sure I perform suitable backups of
    >> important
    >>> data so I can recover the data to another machine if/when necessary.
    >>>
    >>> Having said that, I will also say that I really liked the Maxtor
    >>> Maxblast
    >>> software. It worked well and as near as I can tell would work just as
    >>> well
    >>> on any W2K SP3 or above computer. Bottom line, I was happy with it and
    >> feel
    >>> comfortable that it is sound software.
    >>>
    >>> -Frank
    >>>
    >>> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >> it

    >> recognizing

    >> issues.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    One more thing. Because of the struggles that I was having with my Dell
    PowerEdge 500SC and this new Maxtor 200GB harddrive, I decided to install
    this drive on my newest Dell Dimension desktop computer so that I could
    transfer 100 GB of data over to this new drive.

    That Dell Dimension desktop computer runs on Windows XP. Unlike the
    PowerEdge 500SC, the Dell Dimension recognized the new Maxtor 200GB
    immediately. I then used the Windows XP -> My Computer -> Manage ->
    Partition hard drive. It formatted the drive fully.

    Next, I transferred all of the necessary 100 GB over to this new drive (IT
    TOOK HOURS!!!). Afterwards, I removed this drive from the desktop computer
    as I plan to re-install it in my Dell PowerEdge 500SC.

    My question is, when I re-install this 200GB HD to my 500SC, and use the
    MaxBlast 4 software, would I be able to keep all these data? Or, do I have
    to re-format, re-partition, re-copy the 100GB of data again?

    Thanks!

    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    > - No modification to the original IBM drive (I have one of these also in
    > mine)
    > - No modification to the BIOS (in fact, the BIOS screen will remain
    adjusted
    > to No Drive Installed, rather than showing the type).
    > - It does modify the new drive in the sense that it partitions and formats
    > it, that's all.
    >
    > I am one that is usually suspect of drive utilities. In the olden days
    > (smile!) I used to go to great lengths to do everything manually so as not
    > to rely on any proprietary format that might not work in another machine.
    So
    > I think I understand your concern. I will say however that I have "got
    over"
    > those days and now simply make sure I perform suitable backups of
    important
    > data so I can recover the data to another machine if/when necessary.
    >
    > Having said that, I will also say that I really liked the Maxtor Maxblast
    > software. It worked well and as near as I can tell would work just as well
    > on any W2K SP3 or above computer. Bottom line, I was happy with it and
    feel
    > comfortable that it is sound software.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Frankster.
    > >
    > > Does Maxblast 4 for Windows modify the Dell PowerEdge 500SC bios? Does
    it
    > > modify my original IBM Deskstar boot drive? And finally, does it modify
    > > my
    > > new Maxtor drive?
    > >

    > > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    > >> The CD contains, basically, a program that does a registry adjustment
    > >> allow for LBA (large block support - or similar) to allow the entire
    > >> drive
    > >> to be recognized. It also partitions and formats the drive, giving you
    > >> choice of a data drive (what I chose) or a boot drive.
    > >>
    > >> I just looked at the Maxtor website and I believe the one you want is
    > >> "Maxblast 4 For Windows". Have a look yourself.
    > >>
    > >> -Frank
    > >>
    > >> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > > drive.
    > > drive.

    > > computer
    > > need

    > > the

    > > (Bios

    > > 6L200PO).

    > > being

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    You're a test pilot Bob! LOL! I have no idea :)

> [...]
    > over"
    >> those days and now simply make sure I perform suitable backups of
    > important
    >> data so I can recover the data to another machine if/when necessary.
    >>
    >> Having said that, I will also say that I really liked the Maxtor Maxblast
    >> software. It worked well and as near as I can tell would work just as
    >> well
    >> on any W2K SP3 or above computer. Bottom line, I was happy with it and
    > feel
    >> comfortable that it is sound software.
    >>
    >> -Frank
    >>
    >> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, Frankster.
    >> >
    >> > Does Maxblast 4 for Windows modify the Dell PowerEdge 500SC bios? Does
    > it
    >> > modify my original IBM Deskstar boot drive? And finally, does it

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Frankster wrote:
    >>Using a "cable select" ribbon cable to connect the two
    >>hard drives and the drives are positioned accordingly on
    >>the cable? But if using a normal cable, then the drives
    >>must be jumpered as Master and Slave.
    >
    > My Dell 500SCs both came with cable select cables installed.

    Then the drives should be jumpered as "Cable Select" or
    "CS". They should not be jumpered as "Master" and "Slave".

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    >> My Dell 500SCs both came with cable select cables installed.
    >>
    > Then the drives should be jumpered as "Cable Select" or "CS". They should
    > not be jumpered as "Master" and "Slave".
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Yes, that is true. And that is what I did. No problems.

    -Frank
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Bob wrote:
    > I have a Dell PowerEdge 500SC server running Windows 2000 Server. (Bios
    > Revision A03)
    >
    > It currently has one IBM Deskstar 60 GB hard drive.
    >
    > I just bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO).
    >
    > Both drives are set to "cable select" with the original
    > IBM drive being the Master, and Maxtor being the Slave.

    Can you expand on what you mean here?

    If it doesn't work the way you have it, you could try (at
    your own risk of course) with the drives plugged the
    opposite way round, ie the first where the second is and
    vice versa.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > > Both drives are set to "cable select" with the original
    > > IBM drive being the Master, and Maxtor being the Slave.
    > >
    > Can you expand on what you mean here?

    Certainly. The appropriate jumpers are applied to both IBM and Maxtor
    drives to go "cable select". Then using the cable, I connected the one
    labeled "Master" to the existing IBM Deskstar drive; I connected the one
    labeled "Slave" to the Maxtor drive.

    "Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in message
    > Bob wrote:
    > > I have a Dell PowerEdge 500SC server running Windows 2000 Server. (Bios
    > > Revision A03)
    > >
    > > It currently has one IBM Deskstar 60 GB hard drive.
    > >
    > > I just bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB hard drive (Model 6L200PO).
    > >

    > If it doesn't work the way you have it, you could try (at
    > your own risk of course) with the drives plugged the
    > opposite way round, ie the first where the second is and
    > vice versa.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >

    > --
    >
    > Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Bob wrote:
    >>>Both drives are set to "cable select" with the original
    >>> IBM drive being the Master, and Maxtor being the Slave.
    >>
    >>Can you expand on what you mean here?
    >
    > Certainly. The appropriate jumpers are applied to both
    > IBM and Maxtor drives to go "cable select". Then using
    > the cable, I connected the one labeled "Master" to the
    > existing IBM Deskstar drive; I connected the one
    > labeled "Slave" to the Maxtor drive.

    Ah, OK. Quite often those CS cables only have blue and black
    connectors with no other indication.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Yes, besides the color-coordinated connectors, the words MASTER and SLAVE
    are also printed on the cable ribbon itself. Convenient.

    > >>Can you expand on what you mean here?
    > >
    > > Certainly. The appropriate jumpers are applied to both
    > > IBM and Maxtor drives to go "cable select". Then using
    > > the cable, I connected the one labeled "Master" to the
    > > existing IBM Deskstar drive; I connected the one
    > > labeled "Slave" to the Maxtor drive.
    > >

    > Ah, OK. Quite often those CS cables only have blue and black
    > connectors with no other indication.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:52:06 -0400, "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote:

    >One more thing. Because of the struggles that I was having with my Dell
    >PowerEdge 500SC and this new Maxtor 200GB harddrive, I decided to install
    >this drive on my newest Dell Dimension desktop computer so that I could
    >transfer 100 GB of data over to this new drive.
    >
    >That Dell Dimension desktop computer runs on Windows XP. Unlike the
    >PowerEdge 500SC, the Dell Dimension recognized the new Maxtor 200GB
    >immediately. I then used the Windows XP -> My Computer -> Manage ->
    >Partition hard drive. It formatted the drive fully.
    >
    >Next, I transferred all of the necessary 100 GB over to this new drive (IT
    >TOOK HOURS!!!). Afterwards, I removed this drive from the desktop computer
    >as I plan to re-install it in my Dell PowerEdge 500SC.
    >
    >My question is, when I re-install this 200GB HD to my 500SC, and use the
    >MaxBlast 4 software, would I be able to keep all these data? Or, do I have
    >to re-format, re-partition, re-copy the 100GB of data again?

    MaxBlast won't do any more than what you've already done using Disk
    Management on Windows XP. Are you sure you're not trying to boot from
    the Maxtor drive?

    >Thanks!
    >

    >"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >> - No modification to the original IBM drive (I have one of these also in
    >> mine)
    >> - No modification to the BIOS (in fact, the BIOS screen will remain
    >adjusted
    >> to No Drive Installed, rather than showing the type).
    >> - It does modify the new drive in the sense that it partitions and formats
    >> it, that's all.
    >>
    >> I am one that is usually suspect of drive utilities. In the olden days
    >> (smile!) I used to go to great lengths to do everything manually so as not
    >> to rely on any proprietary format that might not work in another machine.
    >So
    >> I think I understand your concern. I will say however that I have "got
    >over"
    >> those days and now simply make sure I perform suitable backups of
    >important
    >> data so I can recover the data to another machine if/when necessary.
    >>
    >> Having said that, I will also say that I really liked the Maxtor Maxblast
    >> software. It worked well and as near as I can tell would work just as well
    >> on any W2K SP3 or above computer. Bottom line, I was happy with it and
    >feel
    >> comfortable that it is sound software.
    >>
    >> -Frank
    >>
    >> "Bob" <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, Frankster.
    >> >
    >> > Does Maxblast 4 for Windows modify the Dell PowerEdge 500SC bios? Does
    >it
    >> > modify my original IBM Deskstar boot drive? And finally, does it modify
    >> > my
    >> > new Maxtor drive?
    >> >

    >> > "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message

    >> > drive.
    >> > drive.

    >> > computer
    >recognizing
    >> > need

    >issues.

    >> > the

    >> > (Bios

    >> > 6L200PO).

    >> > being

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    >I have a Dell PowerEdge 500SC server running Windows 2000
    > Server. (Bios Revision A03)

    Hey Bob! Tell us what happened! :)

    -Frank
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    It's all good now!

    MaxBlast 4 did the job!

    Thanks Frank!

    > >I have a Dell PowerEdge 500SC server running Windows 2000
    > > Server. (Bios Revision A03)
    >
    > Hey Bob! Tell us what happened! :)
    >
    > -Frank

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > It's all good now!
    >
    > MaxBlast 4 did the job!
    >
    > Thanks Frank!

    Good. I just hated not knowing. LOL! :)