Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 7, 2007 11:30:24 PM

Ok everyone....ive decided its not worth spending money on a new processor for socket 478...im new to overclocking and ive benn overclocking my Radeon X1600 pro.....im a newbie :(  ....can someone help me over clock my P4?

my mother board is a Seanix 8IG1000MK

im not even sure how much i wanna overclock it....id like to make a difference though for gaming :!:

any help greatly appeciated :D 
January 7, 2007 11:57:10 PM

It's not quite as easy to overclock a processor.
You will have to change the Front Side Bus in the bios, and possibly add a higher voltage setting to your processor as well.
You may be able to get a decent overclock out of a lower end P4, since they didnt run quite as hot as some of the later ones.
January 7, 2007 11:58:21 PM

i realize that i do have to go into the BIOS but i dont know about voltage and how to change it
Related resources
January 8, 2007 12:00:15 AM

Try just upping the FSB for now.
You won't have to mess with the voltage until you get a higher overclock.
Start by upping it slowly, since going too high can kill the system.
January 8, 2007 12:01:25 AM

how slow would u say? and what u mean kill the system?...as in fry my entire comp?
January 8, 2007 12:02:29 AM

Yea. Just take the FSB up a few, then restart.
You will need to get a program to test the stability of your system.
There are plenty of overclocking pages on here.
Just do a search.
January 8, 2007 12:12:06 AM

alright thanks....and did u mean like a temp monitor or a performance monitor or something ive never heard of?
January 8, 2007 12:26:15 AM

You won't fry your computer that fast. If you go to high the worst thing that will happen is it shuts down. Just always keep your voltages at or below the max voltage for that cpu. And don't let the temps get to high. If you do those 2 things it won't fry ever. If you are going above those it will still last a while.
January 8, 2007 12:26:47 AM

There are stress test type programs that you can run on your system to make sure that it's going to be stable.
Overclocking your system can make it less stable, that is the reason for running the program.
Tomshardware did two articles on overclocking about two weeks ago.
I'm not sure of the program, but you can find the information in the forums.
January 8, 2007 12:29:09 AM

Use prime 95 for stress testing. I don't know how your going to monitor your temp because all the temp programs I know of don't support that cpu. Speedfan maybe, it's just not the most accurate.
January 8, 2007 4:31:44 AM

alright thanks....but how much should i overclock it?
January 8, 2007 5:23:52 AM

i had a p4 in that socket with a msi mobo and i got mine overclocked to 3.3 stable with a thermatake 80cm 5500rpm fan, fuck it was loud lol
January 8, 2007 6:30:04 AM

Well 5500 RPM's on 80mm should be loud, lol.

Must have sounded like a damn jet engine or two.
January 8, 2007 7:44:22 AM

so i wont fry my comp instantly no matter how dumb i am?...okay...il figure out the top voltage for the 2.4 P4...and slowly raise FSB...but for some reason i cant find an FSB in BIOS :(  :( 
January 8, 2007 10:09:36 AM

yer it was hell loud could hear it even with headfones on but i encoded vids to nero digital and only got 4fps encoding speed so i need it hell clocked, now wit my core 2 duo i get 24fps
January 8, 2007 3:10:44 PM

Hey ... I have 3.06GHz P4 Northwood CPU and want to OC it too ... :D  ....
(Using Abit VT7 board)

Problem with it is that I cannot change the multiplier (x23) .... Want to maximize the use of PC3200 (DDR 400) RAM....

Tested it at 3.3GHz but not stable ... PC kept crashing with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error.... (did raise VDIMM to 2.7 - 2.8v while original is 2.65v) .... FSB raised from 133 to 143MHZ...

Any suggestion?
January 8, 2007 11:12:22 PM

i determined i dont have the BIOS setting for FSB or multipilyier...what can i do?!?!
January 9, 2007 12:10:35 AM

I actually built a few systems recently with old 2.4ghz chips not sure the series - i think they did not have HT.

The systems have been in use 3-6 months, no problems running 2.93ghz , i think? it was over 2.90ghz with asus p4s800d-x.

i took out the chips out the old systems and rebuilt them - they run pretty good for cheapy gaming systems
January 9, 2007 12:12:33 AM

yer same mine was a 2.4 no HT i think it was 533fsb.
January 9, 2007 4:11:26 AM

Quote:
I actually built a few systems recently with old 2.4ghz chips not sure the series - i think they did not have HT.

The systems have been in use 3-6 months, no problems running 2.93ghz , i think? it was over 2.90ghz with asus p4s800d-x.

i took out the chips out the old systems and rebuilt them - they run pretty good for cheapy gaming systems
I run mine(2.4A) on a P4C800E-Deluxe 24/7(pretty much) @3726. :)  It makes the power meter on my house spin pretty good, but it performs admirably....obviously nothing like an Athlon x2 or C2D. :oops: 
January 9, 2007 5:34:57 AM

YES FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE FSB IN BIOS!!!...now...how far u think i can change it before i need to adjust voltage?
January 9, 2007 5:56:37 AM

Quote:
YES FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE FSB IN BIOS!!!...now...how far u think i can change it before i need to adjust voltage?
If you're just using the stock HS/F and a decent case(good airflow), you can probably get ~3.15- 3.30(175-183FSB) on stock voltage. Do increase the FSB incrementally, though. i.e. Bump the FSB by ~10MHz then test for stability and watch temps. Then another 10MHz, etc. Once you get to the point were it won't POST(boot) or starts crashing out of programs... go back into the BIOS and start dropping the FSB 'til you find a stable setting. You should check out this overclocking article...you'll find it interesting. GL :) 

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjAzLCws...
January 9, 2007 5:25:15 PM

I got my brother's P4 up to 3.1Ghz on stock voltage. It would have easily went to 3.4+ if his motherboard would have had a voltage option....

As to 1tanker, congrats nice O.C.

As to sbinh, I would check to see if you can change the frequency of the ram. By overclocking your processor, your ram is also being pushed faster, and could be the source of your problem.

Best of Luck
January 9, 2007 5:47:42 PM

Thanks ... Cannot directly change the RAM freq .. but can set the RAM-PCI ratio (it depends on CPU-AGP-PCI ratio also)

I will play around with it when have time ...
January 9, 2007 9:48:32 PM

i cant even reach 2.6 GHZ (220 fsb and 12 multiplyer)without it crashing.. after a bit......the tmep only increases from about 25C to 30 about....i dont think thats much but hey...im a newbie
January 9, 2007 10:01:34 PM

Did you increase voltages on the cpu, ram, mch, fsb? Also if you can loosen the timings on the ram and set the ram multi to the lowest possible.
January 9, 2007 10:17:53 PM

all ive done is take fsb from 200 to 220...does it help if i go from 200 to 210 to 220 instead of the direct 20 Mhz jump?
January 9, 2007 10:49:49 PM

No not really right now. But when it starts hitting the limit yeah. Add more voltage before you try anything else.
January 9, 2007 11:35:31 PM

i absolutley do not know how to add more volage....but right now its running at 2.7Ghz!...il see how far i can go...i belive it is helping by going very slowly......what about temps though?..its about 30C in bios....normal is 25 without OC......and also what if i burn it out?....will i beable to go into bios even without a cpu?...and one more question while im at it...if for anyreason i cant access bios and/or cmos is there a way to clear smos from motherboard?
January 9, 2007 11:55:09 PM

No you won't be able to access Bios without a cpu. Those temps are pretty low. That is Idle temps though keep in mind. To clear the cmos there is usually a jumper but if it can't be found just take out the battery on your mobo and reinsert it. You will need to set date time and stuff. Try to get to 3ghz thats what games usually require for the recommended requirements.

O ya if your doing it slowly and its working better it's probably because your mobo does have a voltage feature tucked away and it's on auto and it's adding voltage as needed. I have found on my mobo it always adds more voltage than needed though. At 3.2 ghz my mobo puts 1.427+ volts when it runs perfectly stable at stock voltage of 1.325. So if you can find it turn down the voltage as it is probably giving way more voltage than needed causing more heat. Also it probably over the max voltage set by Intel.
January 10, 2007 1:13:05 AM

ok il try to get it to 3Ghz.....and is the voltage a problem?....if its adding more voltage...can it destroy system?....and to be clear mobo means motherboard?
January 10, 2007 1:21:44 AM

Quote:
Is the voltage a problem?....if its adding more voltage...can it destroy system?....and to be clear mobo means motherboard?

1. It can be.

2. Very possible. If there is enough voltage to cause electromigration (which is a slow process). Also it won't destroy the system but the cpu which is probably really cheap now to get a better one anyway. The only way it can destroy the whole system is if the powersupply sucks and can't keep up with the new power demands causing it to go out. (PSU's like to take other parts with them)

3. Yes
January 10, 2007 1:45:23 AM

cant thank you enough!....now to find out which power supply i have.....i managed to get it to 2.75....2.70 to be safe....and it seems stable...2.8 it unstable though...il try to get it there again later.....thanks a ton...i wish i could repay you somehow....youve easily been the most helpful out of everyone thats helped me
January 10, 2007 1:47:45 AM

Thanks. :D 

Edit: with 300mhz OC your probably actually on the same voltage and the stress on your PSU probably didn't increase at all.
January 10, 2007 1:55:37 AM

ive just been terribly afraid of having my system totally become destroyed....i dont care if my cpu if wrecked.....it just gives me a reason to buy a new one :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2007 1:56:38 AM

Quote:

Which one, the 2.4A Northwood, 2.4B Northwood, 2.4C Northwood, 2.4E Prescott, or 2.4A Prescott?

Because at least two of those have HT.
January 10, 2007 6:16:41 AM

whats all this about pci....ram...otherstuff?
January 10, 2007 7:07:43 AM

Quote:

Which one, the 2.4A Northwood, 2.4B Northwood, 2.4C Northwood, 2.4E Prescott, or 2.4A Prescott?

Because at least two of those have HT.It sounds like he's using the 2.4C.(x12 multi..and 200FSB). Even with default vCore, he should be able to hit 240FSB(2880).

@OP. What RAM are you using? If it's valueRAM, or cheap no-name stuff, then 220MHz is probably all it'll run. Try using a Memory divider...320(80%). That will have your RAM running @ 176MHz on a 220FSB. That will allow a higher clock without RAM holding you back. GL :) 

PS. You can raise the vCore up to 1.65v without worrying(though i doubt you'll need that much). Just don't take it higher than 1.70v(this can kill it).
January 10, 2007 7:59:10 AM

my 2400mhz P4 prescott hit 4120 stable with water cooling, I'm not familiar with your board but I was using an Asus P4P800se.

the CPU was not HT'd which I suspect actually kept the temps down somewhat comparatively speaking and I artificially set my voltage limit to 1.65 the comp ran for 6 months before I opted to sell it off, I've since gotten the 2400mhz CPU back and sold it and also the motherboard which failed soon after..... should have kept an eye on the VRM's I guess... anyway Asus replaced it and it's since been sold.

p.s. overclocking any Intel CPU is brutally easy compared to the mess required to get an AMD to run zippier.
January 10, 2007 11:24:27 PM

yeah im using cheapy ram....im not enitrely sure how to up the Mhz on my ram tho...and yeah 220 seems stable enough...oh and whats a divider?

if it helps my cpu has hyperthreading
January 10, 2007 11:58:35 PM

heres pictures of my bios...hope it helps...oh boy do i hope it helps...

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2007 12:28:09 AM

Yeh, change your CPU host frequency to 220MHz and you have a 10% overclock.
January 11, 2007 12:45:57 AM

alright...but thats not very much though?...is there any way i can get it to 2.8.......usually it gets very unstable at that speed...how can i stablize?
January 11, 2007 12:54:03 AM

What mobo do u have anyway? Maybe it does have voltage options tucked away and you have to push a key combo like Ctrl+F1. That is the only way you can get it stable is if you raise votages on cpu and ram. You see in the bios were it sais memory frequency that is where the ram dividers are. Put it to the lowest possible like 1:1 or below. Some mobos express 1:1 but just having the number 2.
January 11, 2007 12:56:36 AM

my mobo is a seanix 8IG1000MK...u probly heard how crappy seanix is...and i hate how umpopular it is....but hey....why does the divider do?...so is that memory frequency my ram frequency?

i changed memory frequency from auto to 1.33 and kept the cpu at 220 fsb although im sure it can go higher
January 11, 2007 2:20:13 AM

Ok so there is a divider. the divider of 1.33 puts 585mhz effective. Can you put it to 1.0? Then it will run at 440mhz effective. Do that and then try OC'ing some more

Ram divider is the fsb speed multiplied by something such as 1, 1.33, 1.66, 2 and so on. It allows your ram to run at it's rated speed on slower fsb's. Like say your bus is 200mhz and you have 800mhz effective ram. So it has to multiply it by 2 to get the ram to run at 400mhz (800mhz effective).

BTW I never even heard of seanix before are they out of business?
January 11, 2007 2:32:07 AM

hmmmi think i understand a bit....it has 1.33 1.66 and 2....i tried 2 but i had to pull battery out of mobo to get it to boot....1.33 is lowest....theres also an "auto"....and so the lowere the ram freq...the higher the FSB?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2007 3:05:19 AM

Quote:
hmmmi think i understand a bit....it has 1.33 1.66 and 2....i tried 2 but i had to pull battery out of mobo to get it to boot....1.33 is lowest....theres also an "auto"....and so the lowere the ram freq...the higher the FSB?

No, the lower the RAM ratio, the lower its frequency. You're trying to overclock your CPU, but when you increase your FSB you increase RAM speed as well. Your RAM might run out of room to overclock before your CPU does. Dropping the ratio allows the RAM to run slower, so your next crash won't be a RAM limitation.
January 11, 2007 3:35:28 AM

i get it now...but wont that make my ram less fast?...so it would be a trade off......CPU speed for RAM speed?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2007 4:59:52 AM

Your RAM only has to have as much bandwidth as your front side bus, if it's in dual-channel mode you could use the lowest ratio without a noticeable loss in performance.
!