lost toolbar and icons

turned my pc on this morning and it booted up but i had no toolbar or icons.
i can get into my programs by using the task manager to open the program i
want to use.
does anybody have a fix for this problem.
2 answers Last reply
More about lost toolbar icons

    toolbar or icons for what application? Did you mean no desktop?

    Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
    string value of;
    "Shell"="Explorer.exe"
    found at
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    The profile may also be corrupt so try creating a new account and logging on
    with that or these may help you.

    No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

    What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "reddy015" wrote:
    | turned my pc on this morning and it booted up but i had no toolbar or
    icons.
    | i can get into my programs by using the task manager to open the program i
    | want to use.
    | does anybody have a fix for this problem.

    Yes I have no desktop at all. no icons and no toolbar. I can use tak manager
    to open programs,
    will try your suggestions tonite hope it workss thank you.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > toolbar or icons for what application? Did you mean no desktop?
    >
    > Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
    > string value of;
    > "Shell"="Explorer.exe"
    > found at
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    >
    > The profile may also be corrupt so try creating a new account and logging on
    > with that or these may help you.
    >

    > No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194
    >
    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP
    >
    > What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    > network.
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "reddy015" wrote:
    > | turned my pc on this morning and it booted up but i had no toolbar or
    > icons.
    > | i can get into my programs by using the task manager to open the program i
    > | want to use.
    > | does anybody have a fix for this problem.

Microsoft Task Manager Icons Windows