lost toolbar and icons

turned my pc on this morning and it booted up but i had no toolbar or icons.
i can get into my programs by using the task manager to open the program i
want to use.
does anybody have a fix for this problem.

toolbar or icons for what application? Did you mean no desktop?

Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
string value of;
"Shell"="Explorer.exe"
found at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

The profile may also be corrupt so try creating a new account and logging on
with that or these may help you.

No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"reddy015" wrote:
| turned my pc on this morning and it booted up but i had no toolbar or
icons.
| i can get into my programs by using the task manager to open the program i
| want to use.
| does anybody have a fix for this problem.

Yes I have no desktop at all. no icons and no toolbar. I can use tak manager
to open programs,
will try your suggestions tonite hope it workss thank you.