Bothersome Problem: Keyboard won't work until restart?

Alright, I've got another strange problem:
When I first turn my machine on and it boots into windows, the keyboard won't work. The lock lights turn on, but I can't use the keyboard for input. If I restart, everything's fine.
Now for the really weird parts:
If I restart the machine once it hits the BIOS screen, the keyboard works normally. Also, booting into Linux works fine, too.
I'm using a MS natural multimedia KB with the Intellitype 5.5. Never had a problem with the KB before on other machines. See my sig for the other components.
Any ideas? I've tried reinstalling both the intellitype and my mouse driver with no result. I've tried various BIOS settings and no joy. Other keyboards seem to work fine, so why is this one crazy under windows?
3 answers Last reply
More about bothersome problem keyboard work restart
  1. USB? What do you have set for USB compatibility in your BIOS?
  2. I've got the same problem with my computer. It started about 2 months ago. When I boot up, the keyboard seems to be working, but once I go into any program (word processor, mail program, etc) the keyboard won't work and I can't toggle the number lock either. If I do a restart, then the keyboard works fine. If I do a shut down and then start the computer again, I have the same problem with the keyboard.
  3. Human1 said:
    Alright, I've got another strange problem:
    When I first turn my machine on and it boots into windows, the keyboard won't work. The lock lights turn on, but I can't use the keyboard for input. If I restart, everything's fine.
    Now for the really weird parts:
    If I restart the machine once it hits the BIOS screen, the keyboard works normally. Also, booting into Linux works fine, too.
    I'm using a MS natural multimedia KB with the Intellitype 5.5. Never had a problem with the KB before on other machines. See my sig for the other components.
    Any ideas? I've tried reinstalling both the intellitype and my mouse driver with no result. I've tried various BIOS settings and no joy. Other keyboards seem to work fine, so why is this one crazy under windows?
Ask a new question

Read More

BIOS Keyboards Components