cheap OS SW for real?

January 29, 2005 12:19:20 PM

I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like
that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.

http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

More about : cheap real

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:31:02 PM

Stay away from bogus web sites that claim to sell
software at "too good to be true" prices. You'll be
very sorry! Only purchase software locally or from
a proven, reputable web site. Example:

You can get a good price for an OEM version
of Windows XP Professional here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?descripti...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"jtsnow" wrote:

| I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
| OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
| (there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
| hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like
| that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:36:56 PM

Look for additional info, such as "OEM" (only legal on the original machine
it was sold with), "Academic" (you have to prove that you are a student or
teacher), "NFR" (not for resale). Avoid these. The site you linked to in
your post may very well be pirated software. The only info is what you
yourself can cut and paste from Microsoft. There is no mention of "retail
box, sealed, proof of authenticity included" or anything to indicate what
you will actually get. The fact that there is a picture of a retail box
shown means nothing because it is not accompanied by a statement "actual
product shown". The picture is out of the MS Press kit.

Also, the retail price for the Windows 2000 Pro is the price for the Upgrade
version and not the full version. Do they even say so? I have seen sites I
know to be real pirate sites and the layout and product offerings on this
one are very nearly the same, although the other one was cheaper.

Keep in mind that by Summer you most likely will have to let Microsoft test
your system for genuineness in order to keep up to date with patches and
enhancements. I'll bet a virtual steak dinner that nothing on this site
will pass.

But give this vendor a fair chance: Email this site and ask if the product
is genuine Microsoft retail boxed with the certificate of authenticity seal
still affixed.

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o APKd.68079$Tf5.43685@lakeread03...
>I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
>OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
>(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
>hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something
>like that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
>

> http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

January 29, 2005 2:40:29 PM

Please cross-post instead of multi-posting in the future.

jtsnow wrote:
>I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
>OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
>(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
>hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something
>like that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.

OEM software - no support from Microsoft and buying over ebay - hard to tell
if it is legit or not.

ie: Sounds too good to be true, probably is.

(Did you even bother to read the FAQ for the web page you sent?)
( http://fansoft.info/faq.html )

--
<- Shenan ->
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

Following this thread-- what is the difference between cross-posting and
multi-posting?
"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Please cross-post instead of multi-posting in the future.
>
> jtsnow wrote:
>>I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace
>>the OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh
>>install (there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is
>>there some hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or
>>something like that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips
>>appreciated.
>

> OEM software - no support from Microsoft and buying over ebay - hard to
> tell
> if it is legit or not.
>
> ie: Sounds too good to be true, probably is.
>
> (Did you even bother to read the FAQ for the web page you sent?)
> ( http://fansoft.info/faq.html )
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

January 29, 2005 9:29:35 PM

Happy wrote:
> Following this thread-- what is the difference between cross-posting and
> multi-posting?

Multi-Posting means the OP (original poster) made an effort to individually
open and post into several newsgroups with the same stuff.
Cross-Posting means the OP (original poster) posted the same message once,
but sent it to many newsgroups.

With multiposting, if the readers (and potential repliers) were to reply to
group, it would only reply to that once group, not all the other places the
OP posted to. With Crossposting, if it is replied to, by default it is
replied to in all groups.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html#why

--
<- Shenan ->
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible
for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are getting into before
you jump in with both feet.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:46:43 PM

Never mind the 'not work after 30 days' - it probably won't work. Period.

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o APKd.68079$Tf5.43685@lakeread03...
>I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
>OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
>(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
>hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something
>like that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
>

> http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:46:44 PM

Oh it will work allright. The pirates have to keep good customer relations.
:)

"Andrew Murray" <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Never mind the 'not work after 30 days' - it probably won't work. Period.
>
> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o APKd.68079$Tf5.43685@lakeread03...
>>I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace
>>the OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh
>>install (there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is
>>there some hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or
>>something like that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips
>>appreciated.
>>

>> http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:46:45 PM

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Oh it will work allright. The pirates have to keep good customer relations.
> :)

At least until they've maxed out their credit card accounts.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm