cheap OS SW for real?

I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like
that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.

http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html
8 answers Last reply
More about cheap real

    Stay away from bogus web sites that claim to sell
    software at "too good to be true" prices. You'll be
    very sorry! Only purchase software locally or from
    a proven, reputable web site. Example:

    You can get a good price for an OEM version
    of Windows XP Professional here:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=37-102-153&DEPA=6

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "jtsnow" wrote:

    | I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
    | OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
    | (there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
    | hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like
    | that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.

    Look for additional info, such as "OEM" (only legal on the original machine
    it was sold with), "Academic" (you have to prove that you are a student or
    teacher), "NFR" (not for resale). Avoid these. The site you linked to in
    your post may very well be pirated software. The only info is what you
    yourself can cut and paste from Microsoft. There is no mention of "retail
    box, sealed, proof of authenticity included" or anything to indicate what
    you will actually get. The fact that there is a picture of a retail box
    shown means nothing because it is not accompanied by a statement "actual
    product shown". The picture is out of the MS Press kit.

    Also, the retail price for the Windows 2000 Pro is the price for the Upgrade
    version and not the full version. Do they even say so? I have seen sites I
    know to be real pirate sites and the layout and product offerings on this
    one are very nearly the same, although the other one was cheaper.

    Keep in mind that by Summer you most likely will have to let Microsoft test
    your system for genuineness in order to keep up to date with patches and
    enhancements. I'll bet a virtual steak dinner that nothing on this site
    will pass.

    But give this vendor a fair chance: Email this site and ask if the product
    is genuine Microsoft retail boxed with the certificate of authenticity seal
    still affixed.

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
    >OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
    >(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
    >hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something
    >like that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
    >

    > http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

    Please cross-post instead of multi-posting in the future.

    jtsnow wrote:
    >I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
    >OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
    >(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
    >hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something
    >like that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.

    OEM software - no support from Microsoft and buying over ebay - hard to tell
    if it is legit or not.

    ie: Sounds too good to be true, probably is.

    (Did you even bother to read the FAQ for the web page you sent?)
    ( http://fansoft.info/faq.html )

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

    Following this thread-- what is the difference between cross-posting and
    multi-posting?

    Happy wrote:
    > Following this thread-- what is the difference between cross-posting and
    > multi-posting?

    Multi-Posting means the OP (original poster) made an effort to individually
    open and post into several newsgroups with the same stuff.
    Cross-Posting means the OP (original poster) posted the same message once,
    but sent it to many newsgroups.

    With multiposting, if the readers (and potential repliers) were to reply to
    group, it would only reply to that once group, not all the other places the
    OP posted to. With Crossposting, if it is replied to, by default it is
    replied to in all groups.

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html#why

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible
    for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are getting into before
    you jump in with both feet.

    Never mind the 'not work after 30 days' - it probably won't work. Period.

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
    >OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
    >(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
    >hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something
    >like that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
    >

    > http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

    Oh it will work allright. The pirates have to keep good customer relations.
    :)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Oh it will work allright. The pirates have to keep good customer relations.
    > :)

    At least until they've maxed out their credit card accounts.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm