Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Question] How can we benefit the site.

Last response: in Site Feedback
May 15, 2012 7:54:50 PM

As it could be clearly seen - I am new here so please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong format in the wrong place, I've read the stickies but could not get a clear idea, searching just came up with a lot of technical "support" questions.

For the longest while I was a silent reader who enjoyed the articles and news but I've reached the boiling point. I hold great respect to this website as it educated me quite a lot and helped a few good people even if only indirectly. Which brings me to my question: is there anything we/I could do to benefit, improve, promote or support for this place?

Thank you in advance, sorry again if starting the thread in the wrong section.

More about : question benefit site

May 16, 2012 5:55:22 PM

Click on the advertising links.

If you need to purchase an item shown in an ad, or any other thing a company sells that is advertizing on Toms, buy it as a result of clicking an ad link. Toms will make a few more pennies as a result of you purchasing from an ad link. This funds the site and is the actual source of income for Toms Hardware.
May 16, 2012 6:22:56 PM

At a basic level, simply give good advice in response to the questions asked. A technical Forum is judged by the information and advice it displays so its reputation is enhanced by the quality of contributions.

Related resources
May 24, 2012 7:33:35 PM

Best answer selected by Jerom.
May 25, 2012 3:48:09 AM

Jerom said:
Best answer selected by Jerom.

n
n
nIf the bills aren't paid, there won't be a Tom's Hardware so I do my part and hope everyone does too,
n
nThanks for the vote..
n
n
:)  .
May 26, 2012 6:28:22 AM

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/34515-45-skimwords-...

:D  :D 

If this has been going on for longer than a day, my AdBlocker is letting me down because I knew nothing about this until this morning.

I know Tom's has to earn money but frankly, I'd rather pay a subscription thanm see stupid links like the one in XP, linked in my post above.

May 27, 2012 1:30:19 AM

A very peculiar problem for you indeed. I don't see what you speak of.

Here are 2 screen-shots, first of the UK site with me not logged in, and the other I am logged in.
My ad-block is off on both. The ads changed positions but that's about all.
I normally use the .com U.S. site because I hear so much bad news about all the others.
If the pics are too small, click on them, they should open in a new window/tab at full size.

Best solution

June 5, 2012 12:14:03 AM

Actually, I don't believe we are pay per click, but rather impressions. The ad revenue helps to fund the reporters and editorial teams, and also pays for bandwidth.

Though, from this perspective, the best thing you can do to help Tom's is actually just participate in the community. If you see something you want to say something about, post. If you view an article you find particularly informative, share that bad mamajama on Reddit or Facebook or Twitter and let your friends know. The highest compliment anyone can pay us is the referral to a friend or acquaintance. :) 
June 5, 2012 5:11:57 AM

@ Joe,

You mean I've been doing my weekly 'click-a-thon' and buying through advertisers rather than getting a somewhat better price elsewhere... in vain? Oh well, no harm, no foul.

On to more important things:

You said
Quote:
Though, from this perspective, the best thing you can do to help Tom's is actually just participate in the community
so that means my best answer award is not legitimate as Saga Lout said earlier:
Quote:
At a basic level, simply give good advice in response to the questions asked. A technical Forum is judged by the information and advice it displays so its reputation is enhanced by the quality of contributions.
and that is a far more accurate answer to the actual question asked by the OP than mine. I am a man of honor and integrity, along with a limited amount of humor, and I'm not smiling now.

I hereby decline the best answer award and humbly request it be properly awarded to Saga Lout, the contributor with the true best answer.

Respectfully,
~Tigsounds~

June 5, 2012 7:11:03 AM

I accept the award with good grace, Tig, but pass it on to Joe who deserves it far more than I.

June 7, 2012 2:33:22 PM

Best answer selected by jpishgar.
June 7, 2012 2:33:32 PM

Done and done!
June 7, 2012 2:58:04 PM

jpishgar said:
Done and done!

Well done Joe, now everybody should be happy. :) 
!