Boot.ini and IDE controller

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 14, 2005 9:41:36 AM

I moved the drive in which Win2K normally boots from my built-in IDE1 to my IDE3
controller. I did not change the multi(0) designation in boot.ini. Yet my system
booted up fine. Is "multi" actually looked at in the Win2k bootup at all for IDE
disks ? If so, what does it mean in this regard ?
August 14, 2005 9:41:37 AM

Edward Diener wrote:
> I moved the drive in which Win2K normally boots from my built-in IDE1 to
> my IDE3 controller. I did not change the multi(0) designation in
> boot.ini. Yet my system booted up fine. Is "multi" actually looked at in
> the Win2k bootup at all for IDE disks ? If so, what does it mean in this
> regard ?

this link has some info on how boot.ini works

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Wind...

had you been using Linux... you would have had a problem booting however
as you'd have changed the harddrive from hda1 to hda3
!