Boot.ini and IDE controller

I moved the drive in which Win2K normally boots from my built-in IDE1 to my IDE3
controller. I did not change the multi(0) designation in boot.ini. Yet my system
booted up fine. Is "multi" actually looked at in the Win2k bootup at all for IDE
disks ? If so, what does it mean in this regard ?
1 answer Last reply
More about boot controller

    Edward Diener wrote:
    > I moved the drive in which Win2K normally boots from my built-in IDE1 to
    > my IDE3 controller. I did not change the multi(0) designation in
    > boot.ini. Yet my system booted up fine. Is "multi" actually looked at in
    > the Win2k bootup at all for IDE disks ? If so, what does it mean in this
    > regard ?

    this link has some info on how boot.ini works

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsNT/AdminTips/Booting/PurposeoftheBOOT.INIFile.html

    had you been using Linux... you would have had a problem booting however
    as you'd have changed the harddrive from hda1 to hda3

Controller Boot Windows