Unable to boot Win2k after disk copy

My initial setup:

2 40 GB Hard Disks off of HPT 374 Raid controller, with Raid not implemented.
BIOS set to boot off of the Raid controller and the Raid controller set to boot
off of the first hard disk. Under Disk Management the first hard disk is Disk1,
second is Disk2 ( Disk0 is a zip drive off of my IDE controller ) . Win2K NTFS
system ( C: ) is partition 2 of Disk1. A shared FAT32 partition between Windows
and Linux, mounted as c:\WinLinux, is partition 3 of Disk1. An extended
partition, which is partition 2 of Disk2 holds a logical NTFS partition ( H: )
and another logical NTFS partition ( D: ). My boot.ini has a single OS displayed:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNTNEW
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNTNEW="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect

I buy 2 160 GB Hard Disks and install them as the next drives in the Raid
controller. Again I am not using Raid at all but have been using my hard drive
under the Raid controller so that I can free up the 4 slots of my IDE controller
for DVD drives, Zip drives and the like. The order of drives in my Raid
controller now looks like:

HDD0 - 40 GB ( Boot )
HDD1 - 40 GB
HDD2 - 160 GB
HDD3 - 160 GB

and this corresponds to

Disk1
Disk2
Disk3
Disk4

under Win2k Disk Management.

I boot into Win2K. I can now see HDD2 as Disk3 and HDD3 as Disk4 in Disk
Management. I disable as much startup programs using anything on my H: and D:
drives as I can, and use a utility ( Drive Backup Professional from Paragon
Software ) to copy Disk2 to Disk4. I then direct Win2k to change the drive
letters for h: and d: to point to my new hard disk. This takes a few boots, but
finally I am up and running with Disk4 now having my H: and D: drives. So far so
good.

Now I want to move my Win2k system drive, HDD0/Disk1 to my other 160 GB drive,
HDD2/Disk 3 and then tell me Raid controller to boot off of HDD2. I am not going
to change boot.ini since once I boot off of HDD2, it will just take the place of
HDD0 as the boot drive. I do the copy ( using Drive Backup Professional 7.0
again ), and it does it under Win2k using a Hot Backup feature. I then reboot my
system, go into my HPT 374 controller's BIOS, and tell it to boot off of HDD2.
Now the order of my drives under the Raid controller is:

HDD2 ( Boot )
HDD0
HDD1
HDD3

Remember that HDD2 is a replica of HDD0 and that HDD3, not HDD1, now contains my
H: and D: drives from before, so I should need nothing from HDD0 and HDD1, my
two 40 GB drives. It seems I should be OK. I start the boot process for Win2k
but after an initial screen with the progress bar and an initial graphical
screen, where the system will now go into the screen where the username/password
is displayed, instead I get a stop error saying that the registry has an error
and the system quickly reboots.

Does anybody know what might be happening here ?

Is the registry expecting something else for the layout of the drives ?

Thank you !

Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000
the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows
2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the
floppy), and copy Windows 2000 versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini
to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you
wish to boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the
operating system located on the first partition of the primary or first
drive (drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,2"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,2"

Another possibility is to try loading the controller driver also from
floppy. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must
contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine,
not a DOS/Win9x, so the "NT" boot sector gets written to the floppy), then
copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a
correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.

In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows 2000 will load a
boot device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then
also copy the correct manufacturer raid controller driver to the floppy but
renamed to ntbootdd.sys

Something like this below;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,1"
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,2"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,1"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,2"

Yet another possibility. From a parallel install, run regedt32.exe, then
from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive, then navigate to the
%systemroot%\system32\config
directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
controlset, then navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
"CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
"LogEvent"=dword:00000001
"Overwrite"=dword:00000001
Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
the stop error.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Edward Diener" wrote:
> [...]
| HDD0
| HDD1
| HDD3
|
| Remember that HDD2 is a replica of HDD0 and that HDD3, not HDD1, now
contains my
| H: and D: drives from before, so I should need nothing from HDD0 and HDD1,
my
| two 40 GB drives. It seems I should be OK. I start the boot process for
Win2k
| but after an initial screen with the progress bar and an initial graphical
| screen, where the system will now go into the screen where the
username/password
| is displayed, instead I get a stop error saying that the registry has an
error
| and the system quickly reboots.
|
| Does anybody know what might be happening here ?
|
| Is the registry expecting something else for the layout of the drives ?

As I explained in the previous post, after you image you should boot the first
time with NO other drives connected to insure that the correct signature is
written to the new system drive and parition. When Win2K says new hardware has
been installed, reboot. Now you can re-enable the other drives.

If you still have problems with "NTLDR not found" or you don't want to
re-image, then you'll need to run a repair install by booting from the
CD, electing to install, then select the repair option when the installer
sees the existing Win2K. That will roll you back to the SP level of your
CD, but will get the drive assignments sorted out.

The registry error sounds like an artifact of the imaging process, though
it is hard to be sure.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.