BitTorrent on a crappy wifi connection.

syn1kk

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
so ya... i just transitioned from a 10Mbs blazing connection seated right on the new england backbone curtesy of Boston University to something... a little less glamours shall we say?

Its basically a wifi connection that is averaging 0.5 bars of signal strenth ( ~5Mbs) by windows standards of measurement.

I'm guessing the only way to get good BitTorrent speeds needs some change right? I know that connecting directly via ethernet will solve it...

But do any of you know of good BitTorrent speeds via wifi??? Like personal stories that show if it is true?

----------

I know that BitTorrent requires a high throughput if you want any decent speeds. With my current connection I can't achieve that ...

----------

Maybe I could increase signal strength somehow? Suggestions? What do you guys use?

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I have had good bitTorrent speeds with wifi. I have Comcast, the best I have seen is 4Mbit down at speakeasy.

As for my Torrent speed: Knoppix DVD iso (3.11 Gb/ <2 hrs) ~= 3.5 Mbit

If you are used to a 10 Mbit connection from the university this would be slow. Did you get a new ISP or just add a wireless router to your current setup? Some routers perform better than others. See Tom's router guide

Rumor has it that some ISP's cap torrent traffic.