Morinav

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Ok, so I built this computer:

Processor: Core2Duo E6300
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965-S3
Ram: GeIL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 5-5-5-15 1.8V
PSU: FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN, 12cm FAN, version 2.0
Video Card: eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO
HD: Maxtor 7200 RPM EIDE 300GB
DVD: Some kinda BENQ EIDE DVD Burner
Case Fans: 2 Antex Tricools 120mm (intake and side exhause) and 1 generic 120mm (rear exhaust)
CPU Fan: Stock Intel fan with a rice sized dab of Arctic Silver 5

I immediately flashed the bios to the most recent revision (version 6, I believe) and overclocked it with these settings:

Advanced BIOS Features
- Disabled CPUID Max to 3
- Disabled No-Execute Memory Protection
- Disabled C1E
- Disabled TM2
- Disabled EIST
- Disabled Virtualization Technology

PC Health Status
- Disabled Smart Fan Control Method

Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)
- CPU Clock Ratio (CPU Multiplier) at 7x
- CPU Host Frequency (FSB) at 400MHz
- PCI Express Frequency at 100MHz
- Disabled CIA2
- System Memory Multiplier at 2.00 (1:1 Ratio)
- DRAM Timing at 5-5-5-15
- FSB OverVoltage +0.2V (1.4V)
- (G)MCH Voltage +0.1V (1.55V)
- CPU Voltage at 1.300V

I ran Prime 95 for 10.5 hours with 0 errors, temps were pretty stable with them being at 45 C at idle and about 55 C at full load.

Now, when I tried running actual programs, I've had some trouble. I've gotten stop errors on multiple occassions when running Battlefield 2142, World of Warcraft, playing music and just browsing the net. I've reset my BIOS back to default settings and I am still getting stop errors. I turned off the reboot-by-default setting on stop errors and have been logging them. Here are the errors I've had so far.

Error 1 (default BIOS):
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x0000005A, 0x00000002, 0x0000000, 0xF215068F)

afd.sys - Address F215068F base at F2150000, Datastamp 41107eb5

Error 2 (OC'ed):
BAD_POOL_CALLER
Stop: 0x000000c2 (0x00000041, 0x86543000, 0x000D8768, 0x0003FEFDF)

Error 3 (default BIOS):
Generic error
STOP: 0x000008E (0xC000005, 0cF6F4FF0D, 0xBA0D2AB0, 0x00000000)

ks.sys - address F6F4FF0D base at F6F47000, Datastamp 41107ef6

Error 4 (default BIOS again):
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

STOP: 0x000004E (0x0000008F, 0x000268FD, 0x0002C3FD, 0x00000000)

And that's that. Any idea what's causing this? Do I have some damaged hardware, maybe a corrupt install? I've looked on Microsoft's website and only found a fix for the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error, at least for WinXP SP2. So yeah, what should I do?

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
it looks like the PSU expert (mpilchfamily) missed something, :lol:

if you look at the specs of the PSU, it has only 450watts and 18A on the + 12V rail.
this is not enough for this setup i think?

correct me if i'm wrong, mpilchfamily

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
450W is plenty enough for such a moderate system.

Random errors could be caused by faulty memory. Run memtest86+ for couple of hours.
This could also be a faulty PSU after all, so before you RMA the memory or sth, check the psu.
You could use another graphics card to see if the problems persist.
Did you try to run prime95 since the problem occured?
Can you isolate a single activity that for sure cause the crash? Can be useful when you want to check if it is repaired,
See if it is software related. Run knoppix or other linux livecd. BTW: most linux livecd systems have memtest on them.
If it runs fine from a cd then maybe you have malware or corrupted disk.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
thanks for correcting me and not flaming me,
I checked the label on the FSP site, no data on the combined 12V rail ;-)
but, now we are back to where we started,
----------------------------------------------------
1ste error:

first error is afd.sys
this is a file from winsock
-----------------------------------------------------
second error:

(google)
The Stop 0xC2 message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations in the following ways:

* By allocating a memory pool size of zero bytes.
* By allocating a memory pool that does not exist.
* By attempting to free a memory pool that is already free.
* By allocating or freeing a memory pool at an IRQL that was too high.

This Stop message is typically due to a faulty driver or software.

Possible Resolutions:

* A Stop 0xC2 messages might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
* A Stop 0xC2 messages might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (such as disk controllers, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.
* If you encounter a Stop 0xC2 message while upgrading to Windows XP, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.
third error:

Ks.sys is part of the AVstream function (some support files for multimedia applications, this error is probably caused by the gfx or sound driver.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms802464.aspx

fourth error:

already solved?

it looks like a bad videocard or videocard driver?
or a bad sounddriver. try to disable the soundcard (bios!)
if not, try to swap videocards with a friend or other computer lying around?

keep us informed.

dermotti

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
The obvious first step is to go back to stock speeds and see if you can replicate these errors.

Just sounds like you have a unstable overclock imho

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Ya I agree wiff ya here, I remember the 805 getten some of thee errors and I solved the problems by ram timings, descresed the ram from 200 to 166 and oc'ed the cpu at that. Worked for me.

Morinav

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

All of these errors, except the BAD_POOL_CALLER have occured at stock BIOS settings. Once I started getting errors, I imediately un-OC'ed my system, but the errors persist.

They seem to occur at random, too. I just got another new error when I tried to open firefox.

BAD_POOL_HEADER
STop: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE1386000, 0xE1386808, 0x0D010800)

How would I go about checking my PSU? Voltemeter?

I think I'm going to try a memory test next. You guys recommended, memTest86+, but I've only seen version of memTest86+ that can be run from bootdisks. Is there any way to run it from windows?

Barring that, I'll test the video card. I've noticed that my screens will occasionally flicker to black then back on a few times in rapid succession. It's very quick, but it's there. Seems to happen when I open or close applications. Not sure if that's indicitive of a faulty card or not. I might try borrowing a card from someone else and seeing if that's the problem or not.

dermotti

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
The problem is, you may have already corrupted your OS by overclocking.

I would go back to stock settings, reinstall your OS, and troubleshoot from there.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
so windows can be hurt from overclocking?
how exactly does it happen?

as i said from the beginig : start with memory and see if you can roule it out.
if it shows errors the os is not the problem. it could be basically the psu or the motherboard or, of course, the ram.

if it doessnt show errors than at least you know you have good ram.
It can still be psu or motherboard or the gpu.

Actually you should begin with booting another os (as linux from livecd) to see if it misbehives too.
you can get a lot of information this way.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
uninstall sound drivers and disable onboard sound for now and see if the errors come up. This sounds like a dx issue or driver hd conflict, maybe corrupt files or something like that power would be different. Second f8 boot up last good known reg.
Try this microsoft fix

Morinav

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Ok, I ran memTest86+ and my computer failed miserably within 10 minutes. So I'm thinking it's the RAM. I'll be calling NewEgg tomorrow and have them take it back (only had this stuff about 15 days) and I'll pick up some better RAM modules.

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
have you tried upping the voltage to the memory. check the usable range of voltages that your memory can handle then raise the voltage in increments. i think 1.8v is the lowest voltage and will need more even at stock speeds.

jonkc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006

I would go back to stock settings, reinstall your OS, and troubleshoot from there.

Sorry, I usually don't post any type of inflamatory remarks but that is the Dumbest thing I have ever heard...
How do you corrupt your OS by overclocking your hardware?

I work in the support business for a living and where I do not claim to know everything I believe that I can say with some measure of confidence that it is not possible to corrupt your OS by overclocking your PC UNLESS you have f'd up your HDD in the process....

As for the OP's errors, they point most assuredly to Faulty RAM that was probably damaged when he OC'd his system... I have run into his "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" many times and 99% of the time that points to Bad RAM...

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Yes - I laughed long and hard at the person that told me that the first time. I was actually very unpleasant about it, as I recall. I am only mentioning this due to the embarrassment I felt when the other person was proven right.

Gomerpile actually had to remind me of this issue again, a year or two later, on these forums!

Several things can cause data corruption while OCing. Attend.
(I'm only covering one cause, due to its relative simplicity.)

The bus carries data to/from everything at a certain speed, shall we say 266MHz. Okay fine, at this speed the PCI bus is running at 33MHz, the AGP @ 66MHz, whatever whatever whatever. [/theory]

Now, onboard IDE and SATA controllers are connected to the PCI/PCI-E bus. Every time the FSB is bumped up 1MHz, the PCI bus is bumped up 1/8MHz. So at +8MHz FSB you've got +1MHz PCI (assuming unlocked buses and a C2D CPU here). e.g. 274MHz FSB = 34MHz PCI. 400MHz FSB = 50MHz PCI.
Since the HDD and IDE/SATA controller also communicate using a frequency, this frequency will also be affected by the OC.

Now, the HDD has to move data from the interface (controller, cable) to the medium (disk platter). If the HDD is expecting, say, 8 bits to arrive in time interval T, but 9 bits arrive instead, it can have interesting effects.

Synchronisation is a real [dog of the feminine persuasion] during OCing.

dermotti

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006

Sorry, I usually don't post any type of inflamatory remarks but that is the Dumbest thing I have ever heard...

I work in the support business for a living and where I do not claim to know everything I believe that I can say with some measure of confidence that it is not possible to corrupt your OS by overclocking your PC UNLESS you have f'd up your HDD in the process....

As for the OP's errors, they point most assuredly to Faulty RAM that was probably damaged when he OC'd his system... I have run into his "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" many times and 99% of the time that points to Bad RAM...

Any time your system crashes you risk data corruption.

I don't know what kind of support you do, but where i come from we eliminate all variables and take a course of action.

Best course of action in the OP's situation is to

A. Eliminate his hardware being an issue by putting it at stock settings.
B. Eliminate his OS as an issue by reinstalling it fresh.

Trying to troubleshoot your OS while its possibly corrupted, and with your system overclocked, is just plain idiotic and a waste of time.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Ok, I ran memTest86+ and my computer failed miserably within 10 minutes. So I'm thinking it's the RAM. I'll be calling NewEgg tomorrow and have them take it back (only had this stuff about 15 days) and I'll pick up some better RAM modules.

Any kind of errors on a computer can be caused by faulty power supply. This includes memory errors.
I advise you to check the power supply on another computer or another power supply on your computer, if possible.
If PSU is good than the RAM is bad.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
You can also test one ram module at the time.
It should be unlikely that both af them are bad.

If one of them is good and the other is bad than it is a memory problem.
If both are bad than you either are in bad luck or it is not the memory and you should test the psu.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Yes - I laughed long and hard at the person that told me that the first time. I was actually very unpleasant about it, as I recall. I am only mentioning this due to the embarrassment I felt when the other person was proven right.
Now, the HDD has to move data from the interface (controller, cable) to the medium (disk platter). If the HDD is expecting, say, 8 bits to arrive in time interval T, but 9 bits arrive instead, it can have interesting effects.

Synchronisation is a real [dog of the feminine persuasion] during OCing.

As far as i know permanent damage to the filesystem can occure only if you WRITE to it. I dont think any decent OS changes its system files during normal function. So this makes such an error unlikely.
The only way to do this would be to make data intended for other files to be written in the system files area on the disk.
I wonder if overclocking the hdd controller can causes this to happen...

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I will have to agree with jonkc the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is probably a bad ram, i just had this happen last week and it was bad ram

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Uh, duh, whenever your system crashes you can damage OS files that are in use. I've experienced MANY corrupted files from overclocking-related crashes.

Get ready to slap your forhead then, because "f's up HDD" can also refer to the data on the drive, not just a physically damaged drive. I work in the support business too, and I've seen one crash damage one OS file before, from overclocking

I have run into his "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" many times and 99% of the time that points to Bad RAM...

That last comment was the first smart thing you said.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL can be anything.
It deasnt mean anything. Its not less or equal period.
Sounds like the programmers forgot to finish it. Maybe they got stunned?
The mystery will prevail since the ms is not free software.

Hay, lets have a contest on what it is not less or equal.

driver irql is not less or equal Britney Spears' talent.
driver irql is not less or equal the size of your t-shirt
driver irql is not less or equal the holes in your teeth