multi-boot probem

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 15, 2005 12:07:11 PM

Hi,

I'm running Win2000 in partition 1 and installed Win XP in partition 2.
since then only XP would boot and there was no multi-boot choice on startup.
I re-installed Win2000 hoping the multi boot choice was added automatically
but now I boot to 2000 again.

I've tried editing my boot.ini but the system didn't like it and only lets
me boot to 2000.

can someone tell me how to set this up??

thanks to all, rob

More about : multi boot probem

August 15, 2005 3:32:05 PM

In news:o %23A87FZoFHA.3408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
promicro <promicro@cshore.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Win2000 in partition 1 and installed Win XP in partition
> 2. since then only XP would boot and there was no multi-boot choice
> on startup. I re-installed Win2000 hoping the multi boot choice was
> added automatically but now I boot to 2000 again.
>
> I've tried editing my boot.ini but the system didn't like it and only
> lets me boot to 2000.
>
> can someone tell me how to set this up??
>
> thanks to all, rob

I'm not sure who put it in this format but this would be the logical fix:

Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
Take out the CD ROM and type exit

You can get more info here:

http://thpc.info/dual/bootcfg.html

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
August 15, 2005 9:39:41 PM

Either 1) you're somehow installing both into the same partition, or,
more likely 2) both partitions are primary, and when you install into
partition 1, it's made the active primary partition, and when you
install into partition 2, it's made the active primary partition..

!