multi-boot probem

Hi,

I'm running Win2000 in partition 1 and installed Win XP in partition 2.
since then only XP would boot and there was no multi-boot choice on startup.
I re-installed Win2000 hoping the multi boot choice was added automatically
but now I boot to 2000 again.

I've tried editing my boot.ini but the system didn't like it and only lets
me boot to 2000.

can someone tell me how to set this up??

thanks to all, rob
2 answers Last reply
More about multi boot probem

    In news:O%23A87FZoFHA.3408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    promicro <promicro@cshore.com> had this to say:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running Win2000 in partition 1 and installed Win XP in partition
    > 2. since then only XP would boot and there was no multi-boot choice
    > on startup. I re-installed Win2000 hoping the multi boot choice was
    > added automatically but now I boot to 2000 again.
    >
    > I've tried editing my boot.ini but the system didn't like it and only
    > lets me boot to 2000.
    >
    > can someone tell me how to set this up??
    >
    > thanks to all, rob

    I'm not sure who put it in this format but this would be the logical fix:

    Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
    At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
    Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
    installation of Windows you want to repair.
    Typically this will be #1
    Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
    Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
    Take out the CD ROM and type exit

    You can get more info here:

    http://thpc.info/dual/bootcfg.html

    Galen
    --

    "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
    its solution is its own reward."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Either 1) you're somehow installing both into the same partition, or,
    more likely 2) both partitions are primary, and when you install into
    partition 1, it's made the active primary partition, and when you
    install into partition 2, it's made the active primary partition..

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:07:11 -0400, "promicro" <promicro@cshore.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm running Win2000 in partition 1 and installed Win XP in partition 2.
    >since then only XP would boot and there was no multi-boot choice on startup.
    >I re-installed Win2000 hoping the multi boot choice was added automatically
    >but now I boot to 2000 again.
    >
    >I've tried editing my boot.ini but the system didn't like it and only lets
    >me boot to 2000.
    >
    >can someone tell me how to set this up??
    >
    >thanks to all, rob

Partition Boot Windows XP Windows