In my directory for NT (I use Win2K) the directory starts with about 50 files
that beging with $NTuninstall...... Are these files necessary or can they be
deleted ?

Just trying to clean up my system.

Thanks,
TK

They are Rollbacks if you decide to go to add/remove and uninstall a patch /
hotfix. Personally its up to you. I say if you have the GIGABYTES...why not
--
"Talk Nerdy to Me"

TKinHawaii wrote:

> In my directory for NT (I use Win2K) the directory starts with about 50 files
> that beging with $NTuninstall...... Are these files necessary or can they be
> deleted ?
>
> Just trying to clean up my system.

Hi,

They can be deleted (as long as it is ok to not be able to
uninstall the updates later on).

To remove the uninstall folders (and their corresponding entries in
Add Remove Programs), you can use this utility by fellow MVP Doug Knox
(Windows 2000 and XP):

Remove Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry Entries
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

Alternatively (Windows 2000 and XP):

In the link below there is VBScript that I have written that will
remove the uninstall folder (and the Add/Remove Programs entry if
one exists) for all hotfixes that creates $ntuninstall... folders
under the Windows folder.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.general/msg/fcf646e33a238075?dmode=source

Note: This will not uninstall the updates themselves, only the
uninstall folder and the Add/Remove Programs entry.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: