James987

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
So,

I've tried google

results: nothing

basically my friend had an old computer that wasn't working so we decided to fix it up and make it a server or somthing. BUT, i cant figure out what mobo it has and whats compatible with it.

Its a Compaq Presario 6000..thats all it says. Its INTEL pentium 4.. says its for xp all that jazz, wont boot now for some reason but i know it runs below 2.0 ghz. anyways, help would be appreciated.

thanks,
-=James=-

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
The M/B will cost more to replace than a new, low end box would cost.

On the bright side, you've got a really classy addition to your pile of junk systems.

James987

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
nonononono

lol i forgot to specify sorry...

it wont boot into windows, it gives disk boot errors or some crud. it just needs a reformat, its happened to me before. maybe a new hd at most. so ill reformazz it and run cpu z.

anyone know where i can get windows xp home discs? i have pro and dont have the discs for the comaq, my friend dosn't have them either. theres an xp home sticker on it though with a valid sn so thats not a prob..just need the disc =S

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
You could always order a media kit from M$. You would have to specify that it is an OEM version of the OS as the keys for OEM won't install on a retail, etc.

Or you could order the restore CD's from compaq. You would need the compaq part number for your pc. IE Presario R5007, blah blah blah

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
You'll note that it says Compaq on the actual key sticker. This inducates that to use that key you'll need an OEM version of Homey that will see the Compaq key.

Retail won't work. At least it's not supposed to, I've seen it happen but only under the rarest of conditions during a blue moon after a rather involved dance to the Sysgods while holding ones tounge upside down.

xnex7

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
It could be one of these boards:
MS-6577 (Giovani, Giovani2) made by MSI
P4SD-LA (Oxford) made by ASUS

Both of these are P4 boards

ASUS also produced A7V8X-LA for the Presario 6000 series but it's for an AMD chip.

An easy way to tell is use the model number to look up a bios update at the hp website.

James987

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
You could always order a media kit from M$. You would have to specify that it is an OEM version of the OS as the keys for OEM won't install on a retail, etc.

Or you could order the restore CD's from compaq. You would need the compaq part number for your pc. IE Presario R5007, blah blah blah

how do i do that?

oh and i found out its model # 6SPXE1

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
It's always nice to see people that read the entire post before replying.

basically my friend had an old computer that wasn't working so we decided to fix it up and make it a server or somthing. BUT, i cant figure out what mobo it has and whats compatible with it.

If it dosn't work then CPU-z won't be any help at all. :wink:

He would need windows working, yes. I at least assumed he would get that out of the way before-hand.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
You could goto your local computer store that is a Microsoft Partner, or a store that is certified for Compaq/HP repair and tell them what you need. In some cases they may even have a disk arround the shop that they would sell to you or in some cases give to you.

James987

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
soooo

i spooke to soon

wow

it booted for one thing

wow

lol..you'll never belive this..

i put a wireless card in backwards...like..took off the long metal bit and turned the whole card around because i thought the pci slot was in backwards...wtf was i thinking...

i took that out...

it booted again woohoo

then i turned it off to reformatt..put the disc in

guess what..

graphics card..unresonsive.. dosnt take other graphics cards that i have lying around and well.. nothings showing up on screen so owell...

hello mr. dumpster.... *toss*

lol

-james