backupping an entire logical drive

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I want to make a backup of my c: drive so that I can reinstall all
my software more quickly, i.e. by restoring my c:. Since I have
another copy of windows on another partition, I can log onto
the other partition and copy my c: drive from there, hopefully
no files will be locked. Or, I can simply copy the entire volume,
but I don't know which software will do this.

What is the best approach, to simply copy the files, or to copy
the c: drive image, and if so which software (preferable free)
will enable me to do this. Lastly, I want the save to fit into
just one dvd disc, so any software will need to be able to
create an image of real files (which are in total 3GB) and
ignore the other 30GB or so.

tia
--

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23VFT5qdoFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
telepele <telepele> had this to say:

> I want to make a backup of my c: drive so that I can reinstall all
> my software more quickly, i.e. by restoring my c:. Since I have
> another copy of windows on another partition, I can log onto
> the other partition and copy my c: drive from there, hopefully
> no files will be locked. Or, I can simply copy the entire volume,
> but I don't know which software will do this.
>
> What is the best approach, to simply copy the files, or to copy
> the c: drive image, and if so which software (preferable free)
> will enable me to do this. Lastly, I want the save to fit into
> just one dvd disc, so any software will need to be able to
> create an image of real files (which are in total 3GB) and
> ignore the other 30GB or so.
>
> tia

Nothing free that I'm aware of. Try Image for Windows or Image for DOS or
Acronis True Image though. I've used both, replaced Norton Ghost 2k3, and
found that I like the boot disk option with Acronis better.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:48:28 +0100, <telepele> wrote:

>I want to make a backup of my c: drive so that I can reinstall all
>my software more quickly, i.e. by restoring my c:. Since I have
>another copy of windows on another partition, I can log onto
>the other partition and copy my c: drive from there, hopefully
>no files will be locked. Or, I can simply copy the entire volume,
>but I don't know which software will do this.
>
>What is the best approach, to simply copy the files, or to copy
>the c: drive image, and if so which software (preferable free)
>will enable me to do this. Lastly, I want the save to fit into
>just one dvd disc, so any software will need to be able to
>create an image of real files (which are in total 3GB) and
>ignore the other 30GB or so.

XXCLONE will make a bootable backup drive:

http://www.xxclone.com/

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

O.k. just discovered win2k backup. Before I try suggested utilities
I would like to know if win2k backup is o.k. for what I need?

My setup is that I always have win2k installed twice, (once on C
and once on D), and I can always select which one I boot
on startup, on the standard windows boot menu.

Assuming I want to backup D, so that I can restore it from C,
can I use the win2k backup while logged into D?

Can I backup D while logged into C?

Are there any possible problems?

If, while logged onto C, I format D, and then do a restore to D,
will D be the same as before?

tia