Netgear WG302 wired to wireless problem

PaperShredder

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I have a Netgear WG302 v1 wireless access point and a Netgear WG311 v3 wireless network card. I connect to the AP using WPA-PSK, tkip, using WZC. On the wireless computer I can access the Internet, use remote desktop, VNC, map network drives etc to wired and other wireless computers.

From a wired client to a wireless client I am unable to use remote desktop, map a network drive or use VNC. I can ping the wireless clients from the wired clients though.

I am also unable to log on to a Windows 2003 domain using the wireless connection, it times out.

If I switch the wireless computer over to a wired connection all of the above works fine.

I have disabled all firewalls and lowered the MTU. I have installed the latest firmware.

Wireless to wired – No problems
Wireless to wireless – No problems
Wired to wireless – ping works but that’s about it
Wireless domain login - fails

Any ideas?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I use a USR AP, but it should apply.

You should have a option in the AP setup to let the Router handle the DHCP Function. In the Lan set (AP) set it obtain automaticly. And dhcp server off, you want the router to handle these functions.

See if this has any affect. Also look at the router connection info. You may have a different ID being passed through with the wireless.

PaperShredder

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I followed your advice and everything is working perfectly now - thank you.

In my case it seems like simply having the WG302 DHCP server feature enabled causes wired to wireless communication to fail. As soon as I disable the DHCP server feature everything works perfectly.

I have done a bit of testing and it doesn't matter if the IP settings of the WG302 itself are assigned manually or provided by the router DHCP server, as long as the DHCP server feature is off in the DG302 everything is fine. Switch it on and wired to wireless fails within seconds.

Is it meant to work this way or is this a firmware bug? It doesn't make any sense to me...

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
When it is off, it is alowing the Router to handle the DHCP function. When on most case it is a differnent subnet. They are design this way, gives alot more option during configuration. A lot of uses want to totally seperate their wireless users, and this features does that.

PaperShredder

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Ok, that bit is clear.

But isn't it strange that the access point wont work properly if DHCP is enabled? The same thing happens to wireless computers that have been assigned IP's statically, outside of the DHCP IP range. When the DHCP box is ticked I can not get to them from wired computers, ping works though.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I will try to explain.

On a static IP, the PC does not register it's presence. Unless you are running your own Named server and have it hard coded.

On access points with DHCP they / mine puts the IP range in a different subnet. Which is like a different zipcode. But there is no host to record the information. The reason for not finding them on the wireless side. Sometime you can connect if you know the IP address.

If you were to look at USR 5453 AP, it manages 2 different SSID's. One for Private and one for public. So if you want to provide internet access to users and keep your wireless private/secure. Design for comercial use, bussiness who wish to provide wireless to their guest. These are normally DMZ, and have no direct connect to there lans.