Saving Attachments

I occasionally receive e-mails on OE with Word attachments I wish to save.
If I click on File | Save Attachments, they get sent to the default MyDoc.
But suppose I first open the Word file to look it over. If I then click on
"Save As", the default location looks like this:

C\Docs & Settings\PT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content
IE5\4LMBWXAV.

The "Save As" window also shows several such word files from previous saves.

What's curious is that this folder doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, even
with all system and hidden files/folders displayed.

Any explanation?

--
PT
3 answers Last reply

    Because its a temporary file, a cookie.

    "PT" wrote:

    > I occasionally receive e-mails on OE with Word attachments I wish to save.
    > If I click on File | Save Attachments, they get sent to the default MyDoc.
    > But suppose I first open the Word file to look it over. If I then click on
    > "Save As", the default location looks like this:
    >
    > C\Docs & Settings\PT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content
    > IE5\4LMBWXAV.
    >
    > The "Save As" window also shows several such word files from previous saves.
    >
    > What's curious is that this folder doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, even
    > with all system and hidden files/folders displayed.
    >
    > Any explanation?
    >
    > --
    > PT

    C:\Documents and Settings\PT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 is where OE saves all temporary files. All your mail and
    newsgroup messages and attachments until you save them somewhere else.

    Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 is a Hidden folder not accessable from
    Windows Explorer.

    To view:
    C:\Documents and Settings\PT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 AND \Content.MSO (If you have any MS Office programs)

    Start | Run | Type: cleanmgr | OK | Highlight Temporary Internet Files |
    View Files button

    Or...

    Start | Run | Type: %TEMP% | OK |

    You will probably have to click the Folders button on the Tool Bar.
    Click: [+] Temporary Internet Files
    Click: [+] Content.IE5
    Click: Random named folders
    View
    You can also view Content.MSO

    Or Paste into the Start | Run box...

    C:\Documents and Settings\PT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5

    Note: Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) will *not* clean:
    C:\Documents and Settings\PT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5

    I don't know why you can view the Content.IE5 folder with Disk Cleanup but
    it won't clean the folder.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Oa8aIOkBFHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    PT <xyz@xyz.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I occasionally receive e-mails on OE with Word attachments I wish to
    > save. If I click on File | Save Attachments, they get sent to the
    > default MyDoc. But suppose I first open the Word file to look it
    > over. If I then click on "Save As", the default location looks like
    > this:
    >
    > C\Docs & Settings\PT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content
    > IE5\4LMBWXAV.
    >
    > The "Save As" window also shows several such word files from previous
    > saves.
    >
    > What's curious is that this folder doesn't show up in Windows
    > Explorer, even with all system and hidden files/folders displayed.
    >
    > Any explanation?
    >
    > --
    > PT

    Reason you have a problem is because, by inaction, you are accepting both
    default "save" location AND default file name (this applies to both Mail
    attachments AND docs in Word).
    BOTH of the attributes (location and name) are USER-definable.

    When you select "Save As" ... you get a window, with a default location BUT
    ALSO with icons on the top bar which allow you to browse (and, indeed,
    create a new folder) to a different location. Using these icons, you can
    choose exactly where you want it saved.
    Similarly, the pre-entered "temp" file-name is also user-editable - cursor
    is already in this field, just amend (or clear and completely re-name) to
    whatever you want to call it (n.b. you don't need to add a file extension,
    that's done automatically)

    The procedure is bog-standard elementary Windows practice for user-created
    files, but it's not the first time that that fact has been overlooked for
    e_mail apps. Problem solved, I trust?

    Sincerely, Len

    "PT" <xyz@xyz.com> wrote in message
    >I occasionally receive e-mails on OE with Word attachments I wish to save.
    > If I click on File | Save Attachments, they get sent to the default MyDoc.
    > But suppose I first open the Word file to look it over. If I then click
    > on
    > "Save As", the default location looks like this:
    >
    > C\Docs & Settings\PT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content
    > IE5\4LMBWXAV.
    >
    > The "Save As" window also shows several such word files from previous
    > saves.
    >
    > What's curious is that this folder doesn't show up in Windows Explorer,
    > even
    > with all system and hidden files/folders displayed.
    >
    > Any explanation?
    >
    > --
    > PT

Default Microsoft Windows XP