fc (file compare)

I've got two pdf files that are supposed to be the same, but one file is one
byte larger than the other. fc reports no differences encountered, while fc
/b reports that the file sizes don't match but does not provide any
indication as to what the origin of the extra byte is.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:39:12 GMT, "Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote:

>I've got two pdf files that are supposed to be the same, but one file is one
>byte larger than the other. fc reports no differences encountered, while fc
>/b reports that the file sizes don't match but does not provide any
>indication as to what the origin of the extra byte is.

See if COMP works better for these non-text file types:

COMP /? returns:

Compares the contents of two files or sets of files.

COMP [data1] [data2] [/D] [/A] [/L] [/N=number] [/C] [/OFF[LINE]]

data1 Specifies location and name(s) of first file(s) to compare.
data2 Specifies location and name(s) of second files to compare.
/D Displays differences in decimal format.
/A Displays differences in ASCII characters.
/L Displays line numbers for differences.
/N=number Compares only the first specified number of lines in each file.
/C Disregards case of ASCII letters when comparing files.
/OFF[LINE] Do not skip files with offline attribute set.

To compare sets of files, use wildcards in data1 and data2 parameters.