How does Newegg sell anything with so many bad customer reviews?

cognitoo

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I'm considering buying parts for a new build or a prebuilt system from Newegg. Is it just me or are there an overwhelmingly large number of negative customer reviews on the products for sale?? I find it hard to believe that with so many negative reviews on the PC's from i******er and c*******er that anyone is really ever happy with their purchase. So many DOA's and "cut wires" and "loose parts inside the case" and "it died after 3 days", "6 blue screens a day", "worst customer service ever", "this is my 3rd RMA" ... and onaand on and on............. :ouch:

Are the products sold on that site really that questionable / unreliable?

Thanks, Cog

Solution
cognitoo, I agree whole heartedly with you regarding your concern about the 460W PSU. 460W does seem too low to me too especially with a GTX 260.

Please refer to: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253543-33-power-supply-question-gtx260

According to information from the above link, the GTX 260 needs about 160 Watts just for the card. A certain card manufacturer's website recommends a minimum of 500 Watts for the system using a GTX 260.

Personally, I prefer a PSU overkill rather than deal with the power fluctuations created during operation when a marginal (or barely adequate) PSU is used in a system.

Instead of buying a stock (or customized) computer from HP (good reputation), I would suggest that you look into building your own...
I recently built an Intel i-7 system with most of the parts purchased from Newegg - Newegg is a great source! I never had any issues with their parts, service, or anything.

On May 19th. I ordered a video card from Newegg. It is scheduled for delivery on Monday, May 24th. - frankly, I was a little pleasantly surprised at the ultra prompt service from Newegg as well as from UPS.

Unfortunately, we hear only about the few people complaining about stuff including the weather! Reminds me of Shakespeare: "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is often interred with their bones!"

To sum up - Newegg is great! Their products, price, shipping, etc., are great!

cognitoo

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Thanks Umbrales for your reply.

I'm still wondering about the reliability of the cyberpower and ibuypower systems sold at Newegg. Anyone have anything really good to say about their experience with one of those systems? I am very colse to buying an HP from that site as I know HP has a very solid background and the system has a gtx 260 in it ... but a 460W power supply?? Seems low.

Cog

cognitoo, I agree whole heartedly with you regarding your concern about the 460W PSU. 460W does seem too low to me too especially with a GTX 260.

Please refer to: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253543-33-power-supply-question-gtx260

According to information from the above link, the GTX 260 needs about 160 Watts just for the card. A certain card manufacturer's website recommends a minimum of 500 Watts for the system using a GTX 260.

Personally, I prefer a PSU overkill rather than deal with the power fluctuations created during operation when a marginal (or barely adequate) PSU is used in a system.

Instead of buying a stock (or customized) computer from HP (good reputation), I would suggest that you look into building your own. If you decide to build your own, then you can pick the parts from different manufacturers after reading customer reviews.

Probably the biggest advantage of building your own is that you will have a clean license of Windows OS (recommend Win 7, 64-bit) without all the junk that companies like HP, Dell, Compaq, etc., add to the OS before shipping. Before building my own computer, I was plagued by problem after problem on a daily basis on my fairly new Dell desktop. This was what prompted me to bite the bullet, read up on new builds, and after 2 months and several hours of reading, I went ahead and built my own i-7 system. After I had it running in 2 days, I read up on overclocking the CPU and did that. Fun way to gain knowledge. Another advantage is the fact that you have the flexibility to upgrade/add components when you wish to do so.

Thanks to the members on this and other forums for guidance. There is a wealth of information right here at Tom's Hardware!

Good luck cognitoo!

Solution