rathma155

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Hi, i'm currently using a router and i'd like to know if there is a quick and easy way to keep refreshing your IP on a router without messing anything up. I'm on a static IP so it's a bit more difficult than I thought.

Even if I change my static IP I think servers tell who you are by your routers set IP. And I would also like to know if changing this will interfere with already forwarded ports.

I used to be able to do;

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

But on a static IP it doesn't work.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
The router WAN IP or the Local LAN IP of the computer. It sounds like you want to change the WAN IP to prevent someone from tracking your movements online by your IP address. Changing your LAN IP address will not prevent this, as your LAN address is 'NATed' to your WAN address. The LAN address of your PC's are not 'visible' behind a router/NAT device.

If you have a static address (WAN) assigned by your ISP then you are out of luck. If you have a dynamic address assigned by your ISP then you can refresh the address through your routers software, but you would have to write a script to do so; even still your ISP may give you the same IP address, as they may bind it to your router or modem MAC address.

As for forwarded ports, they would be messed up only if you changed the internal LAN address.