Server Slow down after August Windows Update

Hi,

Today I did installed the windows update as stated below on both of my
Windows 2000 Server:

1. KB 899588
2. KB 896727
3. KB 890830
4. KB 899587
5. KB 899591
6. KB 896423
7. KB 893756
After the installation and restart, I discover that the both of servers were
running very slow, the netwrok connection icon no longer show and symantec
antivirus auto-protection was disable.

Please advice ASAP. Thank You very much.

Mann

Mann wrote:

> Today I did installed the windows update as stated below on both of my
> Windows 2000 Server:
>
> 1. KB 899588
> 2. KB 896727
> 3. KB 890830
> 4. KB 899587
> 5. KB 899591
> 6. KB 896423
> 7. KB 893756
> After the installation and restart, I discover that the both of servers were
> running very slow, the netwrok connection icon no longer show and symantec
> antivirus auto-protection was disable.
>
> Please advice ASAP. Thank You very much.
Hi,

You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
on the computer?

If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x
due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
uninstall it:

Start Regedit.exe

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Reboot the computer.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> Mann wrote:
>
> > Today I did installed the windows update as stated below on both of my
> > Windows 2000 Server:
> >
> > 1. KB 899588
> > 2. KB 896727
> > 3. KB 890830
> > 4. KB 899587
> > 5. KB 899591
> > 6. KB 896423
> > 7. KB 893756
> > After the installation and restart, I discover that the both of servers were
> > running very slow, the netwrok connection icon no longer show and symantec
> > antivirus auto-protection was disable.
> >
> > Please advice ASAP. Thank You very much.
> Hi,
>
> You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
> on the computer?
>
> If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.
>

> PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
> here:
>
> PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x
> due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
> http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202
>

> This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
> uninstall it:
>
> Start Regedit.exe
>
> Locate the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
> Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)
>
> Locate the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
> Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)
>
> Reboot the computer.

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Hi Torgeir,

Thank you! After I uninstall the APC software, the server was working fine
now. But the bad news is, it only work for 1 server. My the other server was
still having the same problem.

mann