New Graphics card - Now PSU keeps cutting out, Help!

kimball

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Hi There,

I've recently acquired a new graphics card and my system spec is now:

Intel Pentium D Dual Core 3.4Ghz = 6.8Ghz CPU
PC Chips P23G VIA P4M800 Motherboard
Xpertvision 7600gt AGP 8x Graphics Card
1gb DDR 400 PC3200 RAM
Maxtor 80gb ATA Hard disk
Maxtor 120gb ATA Hard disk
16x DVD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive
X-Blade gaming case with blue led case fans and 450w PSU

Since upgrading my card, it now seems that when playing graphics intensive games (notably company of heroes and battlefield 2142), after a varying amount of time, anywhere between 30 mins and 3 hours, the power just cuts out. :x

The red power light on the front stays on and I have to disconnect the power lead and leave it 5 or so minutes. Then when I reconnect the power lead I hear a click and then the PC will power on as normal. After the first cut-out it seems I can only get 20-30mins max of gaming before it cuts out again, unless I leave the machine overnight.

Could this be a dodgy PSU? I'd assume 450w is enough for my rig, and don't really want to splash out on another PSU if the problem lies elsewhere - are there any other possible issues which might cause my PC to cut out like this?

Thanks!
Kim

kimball

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Okey I will have to try and work out the Amperage of the +12v rails when I get home, I'm just curious though could the symptoms I have outlined indicate a dodgy or overloaded PSU?

I've never had problems like this before so am unsure if it's definitely the PSU that's the problem.

kimball

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Oops - wrong! Didn't connect any power leads to the card, I don't recall seeing any although I must admit I installed it in a hurry. Guess I may be overloading the motherboard then? Although looking at pics of the card I can't see any molex connectors though:

http://www.ginger6.com/xpertvision-256mb-7600gt-tvdvi-retail-p-11724.html

Saying that there was a couple of cables in the box, think one was a Power Splitter (2x4pin to 6pin) so maybe it should be connected to the PSU direct.

Thank you for all the help, much appreciated as I must admit I'm a touch clueless on this front!

kimball

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Thanks I guess this must be the problem then - I actually had to install a molex splitter cable for the second hard disk, will have to do the same again to power the card I guess. Is using splitter cables this much safe?

kimball

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Ok thanks, I will check the Amps on the +12v rail when I get home and let you know. You're a legend for all this help too! :D