Which of these cases?

Zoom77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I bought the following parts:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (will be OCed to about 2.8 - 3GHz)
STT DDR2-800 2GB (2x1GB) CL4
Asus P5B-E
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Western Digital WD1500ADFD
Asus nVidia GeForce 7600GS 256MB

Now I missing the PSU and the case. Which of the following cases is better:

Thermaltake Soprano
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/midtower/soprano/soprano_index.asp

Thermaltake Matrix VX
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/midtower/matrixvx/vd3000_index.asp

Antec Super LANBOY
http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=15001

Antec PlusView II
http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=01002

Zoom77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks.

Any comments about the cases? I found the super Lanboy at a good price and I am thinking to buy it. Apart from not being big enough to fit the biggest video cards (not a problem for me as I am not a hard core gamer) is there any other disadvantage with the super Lanboy?

It is made of Aluminium which is supposed to be good to keep the case cool, it comes with 2 12cm fans, and from what I read the construction is OK.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I really liked my Lanboy. It is very light and easy to mod if you chose to do so. It isn't huge inside, but it is one of the smallest cases that supports a standard ATX mobo with comfort. Creativity in wire routing can make it extremely clean and I received many compliments on the tidiness and looks of the case. Nothing like my new case though... :wink:

themelonator13

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I have a thermaltake aguila case and im very happy with it the fans are near silent and the case is sturdy. i would go with the matrix, front doors can get annoying when going to lannies and can get in the way of knobs from fan controlers or audigy/ x-fi panels unless they have a good amount of clearance. I dont really know how much space the suprano cases have between the front and the bezel. Also the tooless pci design on the matrix(same as aguila) is much better than the one on the soprano.

i would get a better graphics card though the x1900gt is pretty nice for not that much more than a gs

i have a 600w version of this psu and it has worked great for me, kinda on the loud side though but still hardly noticable mostly air noise
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171016

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
yeah if you arnt that much limited get the p180 its sooo much better =D

or if you like showing things off, the plus view 2 is also good.

[side note] if your going for a larger than usual psu, for the p180, you may need to take the bottom 120mm fan out due to space limitations.

also the p180 creates the absolute best windtunnels and has very good cooling power. comes with 3 preinstalled 12cm fans three speed.

:eek: :eek:

Zoom77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Yes the P-180 looks really nice. But I am not sure if it will fit where I want it. In the specs it says that it is 21.3" high. Does this include the rabbler feet and the top exhaust thing? If not how tall it in total?

keith97

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Actaully, I paid $70, a little expensive but I didn't want a exotic large case. I like the light aluminum and its simple look with 2 120mm fans.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I really like my p160w. Such a great case that is simple, not cramped, great for modding or looking classy just by itself and comes with a motherboard tray. Also comes with temperature sensors and stealth drives (Sick of those doors). There's enough space for complete open air flow and there's enough space to fit a 8800 GTX without a problem (moving hard drives and such).
And I got mine for only $129.99 CAD.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Not to argue - but my P180B came with the vent cover for the top.

I did a lot of research, and have been very satisfied with my P180B. Great looks, excellent cooling (supports 5 120mm fans, comes with 3 installed), looks great, lots of extra design features (rubberized PSU cage, rubber gromets for HD installs, drive rails, and washable air filters), and did I mention that it looks really good!!

Ok I am biased, and the selection of a case is personal - however I would reccomend the P180 series from Antec based off of my experience. If you like windows, flashy lights, and UFO styling - then this case isn't for you.

Cheers.

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I prefer a cheap $25 case, that way I have no problems cutting 120mm holes in the side and back exactly where I want them.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hey Zoom,

I would second third and fourth the suggestions for the P180.

I just purchased one for my Father-in-Law and they are an excellent case and very nice to work on. Sorry if it is too large for your setting.

PS.. The P180 is a pretty heavy case and therefore not that mobile but doable.

You might also think of a smaller/similar case as in the Sonata II.

It comes with a 450W smartpower PSU which may or may not meet your needs.

This is a very very quiet case.

Happy hunting!!!

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I like the Thermaltake Matrix VX.

No doors !
Great Air Flow
The usb/firewire/audio ports are at the top where they belong (if you plan on putting this on the floor or under the desk.
Good reputation.

Zoom77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks, but is it 21.3" with or without the top vent and the rubber feet? How much is the total height?

I like that case but I am playing with millimeters here. If it is half an inch more than what I expect it will not fit :(

Zoom77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks! The max my space will fit is 22.3". So I hope I will be ok.

Does the top vent have a filter, and can the exhaust thing be easily removed?

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Zoom,

The thing about a case is ease of use/maintenance.

If you buy some of the cheaper cases and NEVER change components ofter the initial build you MAY be OK. Problem with cheaper cases is possibly airflow/heat dissipation. Typically cheaper cases are harder to work on as well.

You may have NO issues at all with a cheaper case. You may have heat issues as well. You may be able to mod the cheaper case for better airflow (therefore paying more money for the case in the end).

I like to pay a little more and get something easier to work on..

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I really liked my Lanboy. It is very light and easy to mod if you chose to do so. It isn't huge inside, but it is one of the smallest cases that supports a standard ATX mobo with comfort. Creativity in wire routing can make it extremely clean and I received many compliments on the tidiness and looks of the case. Nothing like my new case though... :wink:

hey have you named your new case.

ya know like antec has the sonata II, or coolermaster has
their centurion and preatorion.

you could call it.

tool 46&2
or
cage case=for the mma thing
or

the tool woody :lol: =my personal favorate

G

The lanboy is awesome, great airflow, good space, simple, and looks pretty sweet in black.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I like the Thermaltake Matrix VX.

No doors !
Great Air Flow
The usb/firewire/audio ports are at the top where they belong (if you plan on putting this on the floor or under the desk.
Good reputation.
I will second these comments on the Thermaltake Matrix VX. The case fits a 8800GTX and is smaller and lighter than the other cases, with the exception of the Lanboy. I've done extensive research on this as I need to travel with and put my computer in cramped places.

It seems everyone has their own recommendations about what case you should get. It would be best to identify your specific needs (aluminum/cooling/etc) and weight/space requirements and go from there. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. You won't be unhappy with any of those cases.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I personally like the Soprano out of those choices. A lot is personal taste on cases though. The Lanboy is a pretty good case. If you're not planning to ever upgrade to current King Kong sized cards then its more about what you think looks good as all those cases have decent cooling options.

I don't think you mentioned a budget. I also like these cases: Apollo, Zero (amazing cooling potential), Gigabyte (pre-cut holes for future water-cooling?). Those are some of my top picks for a case if it was my $ anyway. But any of those will "do you well".

TRENDING THREADS