Question about 4:3 and 16:9 broadcasts

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 16, 2004 3:28:07 AM

I have just bought a HDTV (Hitachi T20-16:9) and got the HD box from TWC. I
have been somewhat disappointed with the HD broadcasts. It seems that most
HD programs are either a 4:3 transmission with a 16:9 picture in it (bars at
top) or a 16:9 transmission with a 4:3 picture in it (bars on sides). I may
be wrong, but it seems that most HDTV's sold are the 16:9 aspect ratio. Why
do they not just broadcast 16:9 transmissions with 16:9 pictures, or is that
just too simple.

More about : question broadcasts

Anonymous
April 16, 2004 3:28:08 AM

"Tommy Flynn" <xxxtflynn@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I have just bought a HDTV (Hitachi T20-16:9) and got the HD box from TWC.
> have been somewhat disappointed with the HD broadcasts. It seems that
most
> HD programs are either a 4:3 transmission with a 16:9 picture in it (bars
at
> top) or a 16:9 transmission with a 4:3 picture in it (bars on sides). I
may
> be wrong, but it seems that most HDTV's sold are the 16:9 aspect ratio.
Why
> do they not just broadcast 16:9 transmissions with 16:9 pictures, or is
that
> just too simple.

You are lucky that they didn't figured out yet to how to brodcast 4:3
transmission with a 16:9 picture in it that contains original 4:3 content
ununiformly scaled to 16:9 frame.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 3:28:08 AM

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:28:07 GMT, in article
<bUEfc.10257$zj3.6615@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Tommy Flynn"
<xxxtflynn@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I have just bought a HDTV (Hitachi T20-16:9) and got the HD box from TWC. I
>have been somewhat disappointed with the HD broadcasts. It seems that most
>HD programs are either a 4:3 transmission with a 16:9 picture in it (bars at
>top)

This is likely the result of a misconfiguration, unless you are watching
something like ER or West Wing which is normally broadcast letterbox on
the standard, non-HD channel. Occasionally they won't run HD for one
reason or another, and on the HD channel you'd have bars on all 4 sides.

If you are getting this on an HD channel, double check to see if the HD
box is set for 16:9 TV, 1080i output, and connected to your TV with the
component video connection. With which shows are you having this
problem?

>or a 16:9 transmission with a 4:3 picture in it (bars on sides). I may

This is fairly common, when HD is not available for the show. They
upconvert the 4:3 in this case.
--
Stephen Tu
stephtu@surfbest.net

Tune in to DiscoveryHD theater or INHD, these channels should always
be running 16:9 full screen (no bars) because they only broadcast HD
content. If this is true with your set then you are probably ok. If
not, then something isn't configured correctly.

Most programming (even on local HD channels) is 4:3. It's broadcast
upconverted so you'll get black vertical bars. To see what's on in HD
look at one of the on-line guides such as http://hdtvgalaxy.com. All
programs listed there should appear on your set in full screen with no
black bars (except for movies which sometimes will have top and bottom
bars to compensate for theatrical aspect ratio difference)

"Tommy Flynn" <xxxtflynn@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<bUEfc.10257$zj3.6615@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> I have just bought a HDTV (Hitachi T20-16:9) and got the HD box from TWC. I
> have been somewhat disappointed with the HD broadcasts. It seems that most
> HD programs are either a 4:3 transmission with a 16:9 picture in it (bars at
> top) or a 16:9 transmission with a 4:3 picture in it (bars on sides). I may
> be wrong, but it seems that most HDTV's sold are the 16:9 aspect ratio. Why
> do they not just broadcast 16:9 transmissions with 16:9 pictures, or is that
> just too simple.
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 6:03:14 AM

"Tommy Flynn" <xxxtflynn@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I have just bought a HDTV (Hitachi T20-16:9) and got the HD box from TWC.
> have been somewhat disappointed with the HD broadcasts. It seems that
most
> HD programs are either a 4:3 transmission with a 16:9 picture in it (bars
at
> top) or a 16:9 transmission with a 4:3 picture in it (bars on sides). I
may
> be wrong, but it seems that most HDTV's sold are the 16:9 aspect ratio.
Why
> do they not just broadcast 16:9 transmissions with 16:9 pictures, or is
that
> just too simple.

In addition to prior posts, when a non-HD capable connection is used
(composite, s-video, or co-ax) and the channel is an HD one, you will get
bars on all sides of the picture. If this is the case with you, use a
component (R,B,G colored connections) cable.

Matt
!