Citrix 3.0 on a Windows 2000 box in a Windows 2003 farm - ..

Jenn

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

I have been running a 6-server 2003 Metaframe farm running 3.0 Presentation
server. I have recently had to add in 2 Windows 2000 Boxes into this
environment with the appropriate 3.0 version.

The first initial box that went in was fine, this is running on old
equipment, Compaq ML370. I have new hardware (HP DL360) and have installed
Windows 2000 SP4 and the Metaframe Server 3.0. The issue is that I can only
access the published apps that reside on this box on particular clients. I
am using a handful of XP machines and different user ID's to the apps.

Initially, I was receiving Terminal services Client License cannot be issued
errors, these have gone away after rebuilding the box and dropping the
license key and granting full-permission in the registry. This fix worked on
a couple of machines, but not all.

The clients work on some and on others, hang where the app is checking
credentials. These hangups do not log anything in the event viewer on the
2000 box. The kicker is this same machine can access published apps on the
2003 servers and the original 2000 box. I cannot find anything new about
what's going on.

This server has been rebuilt 4 times, the raid rebuilt each time and this
latest time, there has been no tweaks or extra software. I hang up even
trying to load Notepad as a published app on one of these workstations.
However, the same user can be on a different laptop, open the same notepad
published app and it's fine. I'm convivnced their is a token or something
sitting on the workstation or second 2000 box that is causing the issue
rather that the user profile.

We're out of options, we've tried everything. HELP!!!! Please provide any
tips you can. Thanks.

Jenn

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

I forgot to add, when the session hangs checking credentials, the
Winlogon.exe utilizes 50% of the processor until you kill the session. Even
when killing the session, nothing is logged in the event viewer.

I can also ping other servers including the DC's, DNS and other Citrix
servers.

"Jenn" wrote:

> I have been running a 6-server 2003 Metaframe farm running 3.0 Presentation
> server. I have recently had to add in 2 Windows 2000 Boxes into this
> environment with the appropriate 3.0 version.
>
> The first initial box that went in was fine, this is running on old
> equipment, Compaq ML370. I have new hardware (HP DL360) and have installed
> Windows 2000 SP4 and the Metaframe Server 3.0. The issue is that I can only
> access the published apps that reside on this box on particular clients. I
> am using a handful of XP machines and different user ID's to the apps.
>
> Initially, I was receiving Terminal services Client License cannot be issued
> errors, these have gone away after rebuilding the box and dropping the
> license key and granting full-permission in the registry. This fix worked on
> a couple of machines, but not all.
>
> The clients work on some and on others, hang where the app is checking
> credentials. These hangups do not log anything in the event viewer on the
> 2000 box. The kicker is this same machine can access published apps on the
> 2003 servers and the original 2000 box. I cannot find anything new about
> what's going on.
>
> This server has been rebuilt 4 times, the raid rebuilt each time and this
> latest time, there has been no tweaks or extra software. I hang up even
> trying to load Notepad as a published app on one of these workstations.
> However, the same user can be on a different laptop, open the same notepad
> published app and it's fine. I'm convivnced their is a token or something
> sitting on the workstation or second 2000 box that is causing the issue
> rather that the user profile.
>
> We're out of options, we've tried everything. HELP!!!! Please provide any
> tips you can. Thanks.

Jenn

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

I would also like to add, from time to time I receive this on the bad 2000
box, this has shown up through all the builds. I've done what's suggested on
Microsoft articles, but it doesn't help or tell me much.

Event ID 454
services (424) Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -1811.

What does this mean? What database is this looking at? Is this looking at
the license database for Windows, Citrix or Active Directory logon? This is
pretty criptic. Any help is appreciated.

"Jenn" wrote:

> I forgot to add, when the session hangs checking credentials, the
> Winlogon.exe utilizes 50% of the processor until you kill the session. Even
> when killing the session, nothing is logged in the event viewer.
>
> I can also ping other servers including the DC's, DNS and other Citrix
> servers.
>
> "Jenn" wrote:
>
> > I have been running a 6-server 2003 Metaframe farm running 3.0 Presentation
> > server. I have recently had to add in 2 Windows 2000 Boxes into this
> > environment with the appropriate 3.0 version.
> >
> > The first initial box that went in was fine, this is running on old
> > equipment, Compaq ML370. I have new hardware (HP DL360) and have installed
> > Windows 2000 SP4 and the Metaframe Server 3.0. The issue is that I can only
> > access the published apps that reside on this box on particular clients. I
> > am using a handful of XP machines and different user ID's to the apps.
> >
> > Initially, I was receiving Terminal services Client License cannot be issued
> > errors, these have gone away after rebuilding the box and dropping the
> > license key and granting full-permission in the registry. This fix worked on
> > a couple of machines, but not all.
> >
> > The clients work on some and on others, hang where the app is checking
> > credentials. These hangups do not log anything in the event viewer on the
> > 2000 box. The kicker is this same machine can access published apps on the
> > 2003 servers and the original 2000 box. I cannot find anything new about
> > what's going on.
> >
> > This server has been rebuilt 4 times, the raid rebuilt each time and this
> > latest time, there has been no tweaks or extra software. I hang up even
> > trying to load Notepad as a published app on one of these workstations.
> > However, the same user can be on a different laptop, open the same notepad
> > published app and it's fine. I'm convivnced their is a token or something
> > sitting on the workstation or second 2000 box that is causing the issue
> > rather that the user profile.
> >
> > We're out of options, we've tried everything. HELP!!!! Please provide any
> > tips you can. Thanks.

Jenn,

I am currently experiencing the same issue on a Win2K Server running SP4 and
CTX PS3. I have searched hi and low for answers to this problem, and have
found nothing. It seems to appear in news forums at Microsoft and Citrix,
but there is not Technical Article/Solution to resolve the issue. Were you
able to resolve this issue?

I have contacted Citrix, and even opened up a case with them, but they
recommended I call Microsoft and open a case there. They believe the problem
is at the Terminal Services level, as I cannot connect even connect using the
Remote Desktop Connection.

I just wanted to let you know that I have opened a case with Microsoft, and
will let you know the results of our findings, so you may hopefully implement
a similar solution. I do not believe it has anything to do with the server
being a part of a domain or AD, since our server is stand-alone and
integrated with Novell - client and ZENworks DLU.

Stay tuned...

--Darren

"Jenn" wrote:

> I have been running a 6-server 2003 Metaframe farm running 3.0 Presentation
> server. I have recently had to add in 2 Windows 2000 Boxes into this
> environment with the appropriate 3.0 version.
>
> The first initial box that went in was fine, this is running on old
> equipment, Compaq ML370. I have new hardware (HP DL360) and have installed
> Windows 2000 SP4 and the Metaframe Server 3.0. The issue is that I can only
> access the published apps that reside on this box on particular clients. I
> am using a handful of XP machines and different user ID's to the apps.
>
> Initially, I was receiving Terminal services Client License cannot be issued
> errors, these have gone away after rebuilding the box and dropping the
> license key and granting full-permission in the registry. This fix worked on
> a couple of machines, but not all.
>
> The clients work on some and on others, hang where the app is checking
> credentials. These hangups do not log anything in the event viewer on the
> 2000 box. The kicker is this same machine can access published apps on the
> 2003 servers and the original 2000 box. I cannot find anything new about
> what's going on.
>
> This server has been rebuilt 4 times, the raid rebuilt each time and this
> latest time, there has been no tweaks or extra software. I hang up even
> trying to load Notepad as a published app on one of these workstations.
> However, the same user can be on a different laptop, open the same notepad
> published app and it's fine. I'm convivnced their is a token or something
> sitting on the workstation or second 2000 box that is causing the issue
> rather that the user profile.
>
> We're out of options, we've tried everything. HELP!!!! Please provide any
> tips you can. Thanks.

Jenn

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Sorry to hear you're having the same fun I was. I did find that the security
roll-up for SP4 is what broke the ICA protocol. There is a Hot fix on the
Citrix website that will take care of the situation, it is MPSE00W2KR03.
Apparently this affected Citrix Metaframe 1.0 and 3.0 builds on the Windows
2000 SP4 environment. The strange thing is it breaks just the ICA protocol
but RDP is fine. Hopefully it will take care of the issue for you as it did
me. We have been running just find since applying this fix and it's been a
couple of weeks now. Good Luck!

"DAR" wrote:

> Jenn,
>
> I am currently experiencing the same issue on a Win2K Server running SP4 and
> CTX PS3. I have searched hi and low for answers to this problem, and have
> found nothing. It seems to appear in news forums at Microsoft and Citrix,
> but there is not Technical Article/Solution to resolve the issue. Were you
> able to resolve this issue?
>
> I have contacted Citrix, and even opened up a case with them, but they
> recommended I call Microsoft and open a case there. They believe the problem
> is at the Terminal Services level, as I cannot connect even connect using the
> Remote Desktop Connection.
>
> I just wanted to let you know that I have opened a case with Microsoft, and
> will let you know the results of our findings, so you may hopefully implement
> a similar solution. I do not believe it has anything to do with the server
> being a part of a domain or AD, since our server is stand-alone and
> integrated with Novell - client and ZENworks DLU.
>
> Stay tuned...
>
> --Darren
>
> "Jenn" wrote:
>
> > I have been running a 6-server 2003 Metaframe farm running 3.0 Presentation
> > server. I have recently had to add in 2 Windows 2000 Boxes into this
> > environment with the appropriate 3.0 version.
> >
> > The first initial box that went in was fine, this is running on old
> > equipment, Compaq ML370. I have new hardware (HP DL360) and have installed
> > Windows 2000 SP4 and the Metaframe Server 3.0. The issue is that I can only
> > access the published apps that reside on this box on particular clients. I
> > am using a handful of XP machines and different user ID's to the apps.
> >
> > Initially, I was receiving Terminal services Client License cannot be issued
> > errors, these have gone away after rebuilding the box and dropping the
> > license key and granting full-permission in the registry. This fix worked on
> > a couple of machines, but not all.
> >
> > The clients work on some and on others, hang where the app is checking
> > credentials. These hangups do not log anything in the event viewer on the
> > 2000 box. The kicker is this same machine can access published apps on the
> > 2003 servers and the original 2000 box. I cannot find anything new about
> > what's going on.
> >
> > This server has been rebuilt 4 times, the raid rebuilt each time and this
> > latest time, there has been no tweaks or extra software. I hang up even
> > trying to load Notepad as a published app on one of these workstations.
> > However, the same user can be on a different laptop, open the same notepad
> > published app and it's fine. I'm convivnced their is a token or something
> > sitting on the workstation or second 2000 box that is causing the issue
> > rather that the user profile.
> >
> > We're out of options, we've tried everything. HELP!!!! Please provide any
> > tips you can. Thanks.

Jenn

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004