Windows 2000 server problems NEED HELP!!!

Rebooted my Windows 2000 server yesterday and now some things don't
work. When I try to open the control panel it frezzes and then I have
to kill explorer.exe. When I try to get to the WINNT directory it
frezzes. When I open IE it just looks for the homepage and does not
come up. There are no entries in the Event Viewer that I can see that
would be causing a problem. The server takes forever to shutdown
windows and no time at all to start back up. I am sure something has
changed but I am not sure what. I first reinstalled IE 6 to see if that
would help. It did not. I ran sfc /scannow to check system files and
that did not help. I was going to try to reinstall sp4 but it is stuck
on"Inspecting your current configuration". I have done a lot of
searching and can't find anything about this problem. Also I have
noticed vbs scripts to run. Thanks in advance!!

You are the man!!! Thanks so much!!! How did you come across this??
Worked like a charm!!

williamzitter@zieglers.com wrote:

> Rebooted my Windows 2000 server yesterday and now some things don't
> work. When I try to open the control panel it frezzes and then I have
> to kill explorer.exe. When I try to get to the WINNT directory it
> frezzes. When I open IE it just looks for the homepage and does not
> come up. There are no entries in the Event Viewer that I can see that
> would be causing a problem. The server takes forever to shutdown
> windows and no time at all to start back up. I am sure something has
> changed but I am not sure what. (snip)
Hi,

You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
on the computer?

If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

CRITICAL UPDATE REQUIRED PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using
6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

Microsoft have published a knowledge base article for this issue as well:

System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/

This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
uninstall it:

Start Regedit.exe

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Reboot the computer.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

williamzitter@zieglers.com wrote:

> You are the man!!! Thanks so much!!! How did you come across this??
> Worked like a charm!!

Hi,

Great :)

I have picked up information about this issue by reading
posts in this newsgroup.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant!!

I'm so glad I finally ran across this issue. I would never have
suspected the APC software and the Java certificate thing. I have been
beating my head against the wall for a couple weeks now trying to
figure out this one. It had all the symptoms of a virus. I had done
multiple virus scans and found nothing. I was almost to the point of a
rebuild of the server when I ran across this article.

May the most beautiful woman in the world give you a kiss!