Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Got V551 today, unlocked?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 1:32:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I got the V551 and Cingular service today, from my local Cingular
dealer. I put my T-Mobile SIM card into it and it worked fine! The
phone found T-Mobile network and I made couple calls, no problem.

Is V551 actually unlocked, or what?

If I can figure out how to set up GPRS/EDGE, I might be able to use EDGE
on T-Mobile with this V551, is it awesome? Anybody knows how to change
GPRS settings on V551?

More about : v551 today unlocked

December 8, 2004 1:32:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

You will only be able to use EGPRS through T-Mobile IF t-mobile has a
EGPRS active network in your area, which I highly doubt unfortunately.

Yes, the phone is indeed unlocked if it takes the T-Mobile card.

you can change the GPRS settings for T-mobile of course, I do not know
how, I have a nokia phone, but you may explore the phone, it is not
hard to do once you have new settings to enter, make sure you save the
cingular gprs settings :) 
December 9, 2004 6:49:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

https://secure.mouse2mobile.com/clients/tmobileUS/ota_s...




"John Smith" <user@example.net> wrote in message
news:KKAtd.39989$6q2.35336@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> I got the V551 and Cingular service today, from my local Cingular
> dealer. I put my T-Mobile SIM card into it and it worked fine! The
> phone found T-Mobile network and I made couple calls, no problem.
>
> Is V551 actually unlocked, or what?
>
> If I can figure out how to set up GPRS/EDGE, I might be able to use EDGE
> on T-Mobile with this V551, is it awesome? Anybody knows how to change
> GPRS settings on V551?
Related resources
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 8:18:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks for the link, but I do know how to set up T-Mobile GPRS, I just
cannot find where on the phone (V551) to change GPRS settings.

Anyway I still gave the link a try. The problem is V551 is not listed
(of course); I tried some MOT phones, none of them worked.

If this V551 is fixed to Cingular's GPRS settings, then I see why
Cingular did not bother to lock this phone. Then I'll return this phone
for sure.

Anyone knows a phone/PDA that has bluetooth, EDGE, 4-band and is not
tighten to a specific service provider?

Rod wrote:
> https://secure.mouse2mobile.com/clients/tmobileUS/ota_s...
>
>
>
>
> "John Smith" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> news:KKAtd.39989$6q2.35336@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>I got the V551 and Cingular service today, from my local Cingular
>>dealer. I put my T-Mobile SIM card into it and it worked fine! The
>>phone found T-Mobile network and I made couple calls, no problem.
>>
>>Is V551 actually unlocked, or what?
>>
>>If I can figure out how to set up GPRS/EDGE, I might be able to use EDGE
>>on T-Mobile with this V551, is it awesome? Anybody knows how to change
>>GPRS settings on V551?
>
>
>
December 9, 2004 9:38:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

When using the T-Mobile configurator choose the v600 and just follow the
instructions.
Since you already ran the configurator don't run it again till you check the
settings they are probably in the phone. Each time you run it it adds it
again and again. Go to settings, then web sessions, then web sessions again
to see the networks to choose from. You can set the default for the current
SIM from here. To set the MMS settings go to messages, hit the menu key and
scroll down to inbox setup and hit the menu key again, then select chnge MMS
Message setup and go to server info and hit select to choose an MMS server.
I have my V551 setup up for T-mobile and AT&T as well as Cingular.



John Smith wrote:
> Thanks for the link, but I do know how to set up T-Mobile GPRS, I just
> cannot find where on the phone (V551) to change GPRS settings.
>
> Anyway I still gave the link a try. The problem is V551 is not listed
> (of course); I tried some MOT phones, none of them worked.
>
> If this V551 is fixed to Cingular's GPRS settings, then I see why
> Cingular did not bother to lock this phone. Then I'll return this
> phone for sure.
>
> Anyone knows a phone/PDA that has bluetooth, EDGE, 4-band and is not
> tighten to a specific service provider?
>
> Rod wrote:
>> https://secure.mouse2mobile.com/clients/tmobileUS/ota_s...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "John Smith" <user@example.net> wrote in message
>> news:KKAtd.39989$6q2.35336@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>>> I got the V551 and Cingular service today, from my local Cingular
>>> dealer. I put my T-Mobile SIM card into it and it worked fine! The
>>> phone found T-Mobile network and I made couple calls, no problem.
>>>
>>> Is V551 actually unlocked, or what?
>>>
>>> If I can figure out how to set up GPRS/EDGE, I might be able to use
>>> EDGE on T-Mobile with this V551, is it awesome? Anybody knows how
>>> to change GPRS settings on V551?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 10:32:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Rod,
Thank you very much for the hints, got it work with T-Mobile!

The trick is to add an extra init commands to the modem on the PC side:

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet3.voicestream.com"

The speed is a little better than my T610: 6.7KB or higher vs. about
5KB. Seems T-Mobile still has not have EDGE yet.

I tried different speeds: slow, medium, fast and continues; all with
similar results.

Rod wrote:
> When using the T-Mobile configurator choose the v600 and just follow the
> instructions.
> Since you already ran the configurator don't run it again till you check the
> settings they are probably in the phone. Each time you run it it adds it
> again and again. Go to settings, then web sessions, then web sessions again
> to see the networks to choose from. You can set the default for the current
> SIM from here. To set the MMS settings go to messages, hit the menu key and
> scroll down to inbox setup and hit the menu key again, then select chnge MMS
> Message setup and go to server info and hit select to choose an MMS server.
> I have my V551 setup up for T-mobile and AT&T as well as Cingular.
>
>
>
> John Smith wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the link, but I do know how to set up T-Mobile GPRS, I just
>>cannot find where on the phone (V551) to change GPRS settings.
>>
>>Anyway I still gave the link a try. The problem is V551 is not listed
>>(of course); I tried some MOT phones, none of them worked.
>>
>>If this V551 is fixed to Cingular's GPRS settings, then I see why
>>Cingular did not bother to lock this phone. Then I'll return this
>>phone for sure.
>>
>>Anyone knows a phone/PDA that has bluetooth, EDGE, 4-band and is not
>>tighten to a specific service provider?
>>
>>Rod wrote:
>>
>>>https://secure.mouse2mobile.com/clients/tmobileUS/ota_s...
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>"John Smith" <user@example.net> wrote in message
>>>news:KKAtd.39989$6q2.35336@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>>
>>>
>>>>I got the V551 and Cingular service today, from my local Cingular
>>>>dealer. I put my T-Mobile SIM card into it and it worked fine! The
>>>>phone found T-Mobile network and I made couple calls, no problem.
>>>>
>>>>Is V551 actually unlocked, or what?
>>>>
>>>>If I can figure out how to set up GPRS/EDGE, I might be able to use
>>>>EDGE on T-Mobile with this V551, is it awesome? Anybody knows how
>>>>to change GPRS settings on V551?
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 4:51:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I think all cingular and ATT phones that are sold now are unlocked. I think
it would be easier to have them unlocked and be able to sell phones to
Cingular Blue and Cingular Orange customers.

Some people still have ATT plans and probaly they all want to keep it. If
Cingular were not to sell phones unlocked then what happens 12 months from
now and that ATT customer needs to get a new phone? That person will need a
new phone, so it pays to have all phones unlocked, so that any Blue or
Orange customer can use the same phones. Cingular all honor all ATT plans
till further notice.



"John Smith" <user@example.net> wrote in message
news:2L1ud.40647$6q2.9840@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> Rod,
> Thank you very much for the hints, got it work with T-Mobile!
>
> The trick is to add an extra init commands to the modem on the PC side:
>
> +CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet3.voicestream.com"
>
> The speed is a little better than my T610: 6.7KB or higher vs. about 5KB.
> Seems T-Mobile still has not have EDGE yet.
>
> I tried different speeds: slow, medium, fast and continues; all with
> similar results.
>
> Rod wrote:
>> When using the T-Mobile configurator choose the v600 and just follow the
>> instructions.
>> Since you already ran the configurator don't run it again till you check
>> the
>> settings they are probably in the phone. Each time you run it it adds it
>> again and again. Go to settings, then web sessions, then web sessions
>> again
>> to see the networks to choose from. You can set the default for the
>> current
>> SIM from here. To set the MMS settings go to messages, hit the menu key
>> and
>> scroll down to inbox setup and hit the menu key again, then select chnge
>> MMS
>> Message setup and go to server info and hit select to choose an MMS
>> server.
>> I have my V551 setup up for T-mobile and AT&T as well as Cingular.
>>
>>
>>
>> John Smith wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the link, but I do know how to set up T-Mobile GPRS, I just
>>>cannot find where on the phone (V551) to change GPRS settings.
>>>
>>>Anyway I still gave the link a try. The problem is V551 is not listed
>>>(of course); I tried some MOT phones, none of them worked.
>>>
>>>If this V551 is fixed to Cingular's GPRS settings, then I see why
>>>Cingular did not bother to lock this phone. Then I'll return this
>>>phone for sure.
>>>
>>>Anyone knows a phone/PDA that has bluetooth, EDGE, 4-band and is not
>>>tighten to a specific service provider?
>>>
>>>Rod wrote:
>>>
>>>>https://secure.mouse2mobile.com/clients/tmobileUS/ota_s...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>"John Smith" <user@example.net> wrote in message
>>>>news:KKAtd.39989$6q2.35336@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I got the V551 and Cingular service today, from my local Cingular
>>>>>dealer. I put my T-Mobile SIM card into it and it worked fine! The
>>>>>phone found T-Mobile network and I made couple calls, no problem.
>>>>>
>>>>>Is V551 actually unlocked, or what?
>>>>>
>>>>>If I can figure out how to set up GPRS/EDGE, I might be able to use
>>>>>EDGE on T-Mobile with this V551, is it awesome? Anybody knows how
>>>>>to change GPRS settings on V551?
>>
>>
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:54:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <Bamud.62830$Ch2.1633@bignews5.bellsouth.net> on Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:51:47
-0500, "Dominic Chin" <domchin@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I think all cingular and ATT phones that are sold now are unlocked. ...

That was a temporary thing that applied only to multi-band "world" phones, but
my understanding is that Cingular is now locking again, although it will still
unlock phone on request.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 10:30:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:o hmud.10699$_3.123475@typhoon.sonic.net...
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <Bamud.62830$Ch2.1633@bignews5.bellsouth.net> on Fri, 10 Dec 2004
> 13:51:47
> -0500, "Dominic Chin" <domchin@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>I think all cingular and ATT phones that are sold now are unlocked. ...
>
> That was a temporary thing that applied only to multi-band "world" phones,
> but
> my understanding is that Cingular is now locking again, although it will
> still
> unlock phone on request.
>
> --
> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

The following comments from someone in Cingular's North Texas Sales
Operations office were in response to some specific questions I had. They
confirm John's statement above. They also support earlier threads regarding
the use of 32K SIMs in newer phones, use of GSM phones on GAIT accounts, and
differences between 32K and 64K SIMs:

* No need to worry if the v551 is unlocked, unless you are wanting
to use purchased pay per use SIM's from Europe. (original handsets were
unlocked, there has been a move to re-establish subsidy locking on all of
our handsets again, I am not sure if it has taken place on this model yet or
not, you can confirm this once you have a handset by taking it to a
competitors location and asking to place one of their SIMs in it. If locked
it would display "SIM rejected"

* Yes, the v551 would use your SIM from the t62u just fine... And
yes, please keep your account set up for GAIT. You are able to move your
SIM into any GSM handset and it would work (Our handset, or other unlocked
handset)

* Final difference with the 64K SIMs? Expanded roamer lists for
international travel (but this mostly applies for data users)
!