Single or RAID!

FNGHBC

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003
I've got the itch to upgrade my system,and was thinking of going to a RAID 0 setup,but don't know which drives to get!

System Specs;
A7N8X Del. (rev. 1.04) BIOS 1004
XP 2600+(333Mhz)
Corsair 512M XMS3200 (1 stick)
WD 80Gig Caviar 7200rpm uata100
Antec Truepower 480
Radeon 9800 Pro
Win XP Pro

I've been running this system for four years,and it has been flawless,however,my drive is partitioned,and I've just about run out of room on the OS partition.I originally planned to go to RAID 0,but was in a hurry to build it and just settled for what I currently have.

I would like to get a bigger drive or drives(for RAID),but need advice on which one/s.
My MOBO supports SATA,but I don't know which drives to get for that.
my WD is on UltraATA100,and I was looking to replace it with a Hitachi GST Deskstar T7K250 UltraATA133.

Would that be a good upgrade for my MOBO,or something better.
What drives would be recomended for RAID 0?

I want faster speeds and some more storage,really,as much as myboard can handle with no problem! :roll:
Thanks.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
After 4 years this system is about out of juice as it is. I would just get a drive to slap in there until you go for the BIG upgrade that is around the corner for you. If you want to purchase the forethcoming drive with an eye to a possible RAID0 in the future and you have a SATA port I'd say go for it. Till then, keep it simple and try not to stress them old bones too much.

One 10k RPM raptor has shown to be a great and more reliable alternative to RAID. You should look into one, as well as read the performance reviews of the drive here on THG.

Otherwise, RAID 0 is fast! I run 2x Maxtor 100gb sata drives and I do notice a big difference in many things except games (which raid will not improve on).

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
For peace of mind consider RAID1. When one of your hard drives dies you won't lose any data.

And unlike RAID 5 there are not compatibility concerns. The individual drives will function as individual drives on any non-RAID controller.

Sure regular backups to external media is better, but very few home users will stick to a regular schedule.

Anyway if you got anything which would be a pain if lost forever consider choosing security over increased speed.

As i am aware. .... under RAID 1, the drives still rely on the controler. You cant just unplug one and put it into a new machine.

If you can give me a link saying otherwise that would be helpfull.

And for the average user, one WD Raptor works best.

FNGHBC

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003
MISRy; I could not agree with that.This system is still pretty fast,and like I said,it has been "flawless". I might also add that in the four years that i've been using this thing,it does not have more than 1 week worth of "off" time. I read somewhere that it was harder on the components to cycle them on and off all the time than just leaving it on,so,It's on 24/7!(I think I read that here some years back?). Now, on the other hand,if you are talking about comparing my system to todays current technology in computers?,then yes,I completely agree,I just think I could get a couple or three years more out of it. On an afternote,I mainly surf the net,do some music and picture and video downloads,and very little gaming! I might do more gaming if I boosted my system enough though :wink:

Comptia_Rep; I thought about the raptor (150G) before,but don't know if my MOBO would support it.It does have 2 SATA connectors I beleive.
That is another question.If my MOBO has SATA,then would it be SATA150?(I know it would not be SATA300).
I would go with the Raptor as I read that they are much quieter now and last longer,and honestly,150 Gig would be plenty for me.Now,if a raid would be faster with a couple of 7200rpm drives,then that also sounds good! :)

Codesmith; I don't worry so much about RAID1 for security as I really have nothing to lose that is not backed up,and anything on my sys. now can be loaded back on.I do like the thought of it,but don't need it as much as I want the other setups for speed :) I don't back up regularly,but I have nothing to really cry about losing if I did have a drive failure. I keep anything important on disc or flash drive.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I thought about the raptor (150G) before,but don't know if my MOBO would support it.It does have 2 SATA connectors I beleive.
Just one sata connector.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=22%2D136%2D012%2D02%2Ejpg%2C22%2D136%2D012%2D03%2Ejpg&CurImage=22%2D136%2D012%2D02%2Ejpg&Description=Western+Digital+Raptor+WD1500ADFD+150GB+10%2C000+RPM+Serial+ATA150+Hard+Drive+%2D+OEM

[code:1:6fe773a743]I want faster speeds and some more storage,really,as much as myboard can handle with no problem![/code:1:6fe773a743]
Your board will also support sata300(SataII) drives jumpered to sata150. You will loose some burst rates but the throughput will be there.

FNGHBC

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003
It does have 2 SATA connectors I beleive.
Just one sata connector.[/quote]
The "it" I was refering to was my MOBO.

I take it that you would recomend a single Raptor?

[/quote]Your board will also support sata300(SataII) drives jumpered to sata150. You will loose some burst rates but the throughput will be there.[/quote]
Are you sure? My board is not a "2.0"
Do I have SATA 150 connectors? I really don't know! Some things i'm just cluless about!
I'm not trying to sound doubtfull of you,so please don't take it that way,I just want to make sure "we are on the same page" :wink:
Thanks.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I see, one mobo connector.

The asus site says its SATA-150 on your motherboard.
If I recall correctly its a Silicon Image 3112a.

You can use SATA-300. Use the SATA-150 jumper on the drive.
It will be a small decrease in burst rates but the overall performace will be the same.

If you want raw speed then the raptor is the best, however you sacrifice storage as the max possible in your situation with a single sata connector is the raptor 150GB

Otherwise you can grab a 300+ GB sata150 or sata300 drive and double your capacity with just slightly less performance than the raptor 150GB.

But, thats a decision you will have to make. Personally I would go with the perpendicular writes on the new sata300 so your hard drive will be usable in your next system upgrade.

FNGHBC

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003
sandmanwn;Thank you! I was looking at the HDD charts last night,and think I found a good drive(Hitachi T7K500(320Gig)SATA300). It looks like it would be a nice improvement for me. :D

By the way(not that it matters to you so much,but..),I opened my computer today to check on something, and noticed that I do indeed have two SATA connectors :wink: I guess i'll stick with a single drive,as RAID0 seems like too much trouble and not worth it for what I'm doing with the computer.

Again,Thanks too all for the help here.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
sandmanwn;Thank you! I was looking at the HDD charts last night,and think I found a good drive(Hitachi T7K500(320Gig)SATA300). It looks like it would be a nice improvement for me. :D

By the way(not that it matters to you so much,but..),I opened my computer today to check on something, and noticed that I do indeed have two SATA connectors :wink: I guess i'll stick with a single drive,as RAID0 seems like too much trouble and not worth it for what I'm doing with the computer.

Again,Thanks too all for the help here.
Yes you should see a nice performance increase over that old 80GB ATA-100 drive of yours. For a little extra performance the seagate or western digital usually outperform the hitachi line.

Yeah i knew about the two sata ports, i figured it would be an added bonus when you figured it out later when hooking up your new drive. :wink:

Good luck with the installation.