Sign in with
Your question

p5b wifi motherboard and corsair ram compatible?

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2007 4:09:22 PM

title says it all

does anyone have experience if this will work

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...

2x 1 gb dual channel dominator

ive heard that the board is picky about ram but the corsair is good quality
i just wanted to double check

ps. before you ask no its not on the certified list
January 8, 2007 4:32:50 PM

They're compatible.
January 8, 2007 6:45:47 PM

thx for the help

sry for being picky but 'they're compatible' in thoery or in practise (ie you have or know someone who has this setup, rather than just the specs look like it)?

ive heard of the p5b having trouble with some rams for no apparrant reason
Related resources
January 8, 2007 7:34:21 PM

Quote:
title says it all

does anyone have experience if this will work

2x 1 gb dual channel dominator

ive heard that the board is picky about ram but the corsair is good quality
i just wanted to double check

ps. before you ask no its not on the certified list

Don't get that dominator, I have owned it before and currently all the 644c4d in the market use promos IC instead of d9MGH, and even when they did, they were the sh$t remaining from what the higher binned ones didn't use. Take a look at this link, any of these ram will outperform the dominator (I believe these are all 2gb currently on the site)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12...

Once again, no dominiator. Dominator bad for young finerty, either get hgiher binned dominator or finerty will be very disappointed with performance
January 8, 2007 8:24:21 PM

um ok

one small prob

'all the 644c4d in the market use promos IC instead of d9MGH, and even when they did, they were the sh$t remaining from what the higher binned ones didn't use'

ok i don't know what IC , d9mgh and 'binned' mean?

and ive kinda run out of budget so im limited to £169 exluding vat and it has to be easy to get in the uk. the only brands i seem to find are ocz, corsair and bad ones

ps. i never intend to OC this ram
pps. i was planing to buy this build tommorow ( tuesday) so if possible could you help me fast tacos

so far i was only looking at mhz and timings, what else should i be looking at?

my full build is in this post http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
which is where i was adviced to get this ram

would this be better???
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114720
2GB OCZ Platinum XTC Series DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
January 8, 2007 8:52:52 PM

Well, I found it on Corsair site.
January 8, 2007 8:56:14 PM

To make things very simple, don't worry about definitions, the IC basically is the bottleneck for ram ocing. Depending on how good the IC is, it will allow for a certain amount timings and mhz for a speficied amount of voltage. So the D9MGH is a very high binned IC, which means it is highly sought after and has limited supplies. And anything with that will allow for a good enough oc for someone like you (most likely 1200 mhz is all you'll need for a long time). So the types of ram you want are ones with Micron ICs, and that link shows all the worthwhile ones currently

SO just get the ocz, if you find anything else you can afford that you think is worthwhile, pm me. But ocz is good enough for now
January 8, 2007 9:05:08 PM

Since I'm kinda busy right now, I have pm'd dario, he should be able to help you more than me anyway

If he doesn't respond, find someone with the Daclan thing in my sig, they all can help you a lot more than me too, or Just get Jack, he's a genious

Just say Taco sent you and they'll help (they will probably anyway, but to be sure)
January 8, 2007 9:26:11 PM

sry but i think we have miscomunicated

i don't want to OC anything

that link (and your explanation) seems to suggest that those rams are great for OC'ing

i just want quality ram thats nice and stable (and fast as its a gaming rig)

so if the prob you mentioned will stop it from being OC it dosen't make 1 bit of difference to me.

so isn't the corsair (with better timings) better for me than the ocz??

before someone jumps in with the why on earth don't you want to OC comment

a. i cannont afford to replace any componant should i fail (OC voids warrenty)
b. i would always worry bout my system breaking down
c. i have absolutly no experience of OC
d. i can't be bothered :D 
January 8, 2007 10:01:48 PM

Can you explain the difference between promos IC and d9MGH? Why does everyone hate the promos IC?

Thanks!
January 8, 2007 11:49:17 PM

Still aim for one of the options on that link I showed you, even if you don't want to oc, get higher quality ram. Since I know that many companies offer lifetime warranties, I don't think you should worry about that (I am pretty sure that ram companies won't mind if you change the timings) but you should at least get better timings. I'd rather have you get ram that's cheaper that can do 3-3-3-5/8 timings instead of 4-4-4-12. It makes a world of a difference when you don't oc.

As for the promos IC. The main thing about them is that promos makes very cheap IC that allows companies to sell lower rated ram for the same price as other ram, but cheaper to manufacture. It is a kinda of con artist move in my opinion for the companies to be able to do that, but it allows them to make huge profits. If you don't believe me, just check corsair's website, they brag about how they distributed millions of extra profit to their employees because they can. So basically, you are paying for sh$t, very expensive sh$t that generally cannot do good timings at all and especially not any mhz above 850 in general. You have to be pretty lucky to 1000mhz ddr with worthwhile timings. So instead of getting promos IC ram, you an get better ram for less which is why I don't like the 6400c4d.

For instance, this crucial is a tad more expensive then the corsair, but outperforms it by a mile. I can pretty much 90% guarantee you that it can do 3-3-3-5 timings within its rated voltage
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119279
And this will out perform that ocz for less, I just checked the prices. Don't always go by price, sometimes cheapest isn't the worst, and certainly most expensive isn't the best. Since this site had only 5 different companies, I couldn't show you some of the really nice sticks out there that cost as low as 50 usd less than the dominator (like some super talent I bought that ended up 65 less, it outperformed it by over 300 mhz and far better timings)
January 8, 2007 11:50:16 PM

i am becoming increseingly worried about my choice of motherbored.

it seems there are lots of problems with the bios. and im certanly not experienced to over come them

simply put i would like reassuring or advice on a better (easy/more stable board)
January 9, 2007 1:40:20 AM

Quote:
i am becoming increseingly worried about my choice of motherbored.

it seems there are lots of problems with the bios. and im certanly not experienced to over come them

simply put i would like reassuring or advice on a better (easy/more stable board)
The first thing you do as soon as you install windows is flashing the BIOS, then clear the CMOS and load your own defaults. 975X is a grampa platform on which you shouldnt have any problems. Dont rely complete on newegg "reviews" as theyre n00bs or early testers, in any case just look at the latest ones.

@Taqs: Too much info for this section, save your finger tips for who will absorb it :wink:
January 9, 2007 9:15:38 AM

i think ill just get this ram
http://www.wizardprice.com/products/KHX6400D2LLK2/2G.Ki

its on the recommend list and its just as good as the ocz or corsair

one quick question the ram listed on the qvl hasn't got the .KI at the end but acording to kington's web site there is no version with .ki on the end any idea what this is about. im guessing its the same
January 9, 2007 11:55:34 AM

Dont take QVLs as the gospel. They were only good when boards had recently came out, now the great majority of modules are JEDEC approved, which means that theyll boot at 1.8v with really loose timings.
January 9, 2007 12:26:47 PM

the kingston ram has the same speed and timings as the other 2 and is cheaper is there any reason i should not get it??
January 9, 2007 2:12:04 PM

can't get any kingston

im just going to buy the crucial ram tacos suggested

crucail say its compatible so its full steam ahead
January 9, 2007 6:25:39 PM

Quote:

@Taqs: Too much info for this section, save your finger tips for who will absorb it :wink:

Thanks for helping this guy out since I was busy, but does that mean I'm starting to become DaClan material yet :D  As you know, I try to help and do my best, so maybe your right that I over did it a bit, though I thought I made it quite simple compared to what Jack would say :wink:
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2007 7:18:55 PM

Here's a simple answer in two parts:

1.) All Corsair DDR2 desktop memory will work on that motherboard, the "problem" you heard of were mostly defective OCZ Gold revision 1 modules

2.) Nearly all PC2-6400 and higher RAM will boot up at lower speeds than they are rated at, because they have to be able to boot at 1.80V according to specifications. You have to manually set the voltage and speed in BIOS.
!