p5b wifi motherboard and corsair ram compatible?

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
thx for the help

sry for being picky but 'they're compatible' in thoery or in practise (ie you have or know someone who has this setup, rather than just the specs look like it)?

ive heard of the p5b having trouble with some rams for no apparrant reason

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
um ok

one small prob

'all the 644c4d in the market use promos IC instead of d9MGH, and even when they did, they were the sh$t remaining from what the higher binned ones didn't use'

ok i don't know what IC , d9mgh and 'binned' mean?

and ive kinda run out of budget so im limited to £169 exluding vat and it has to be easy to get in the uk. the only brands i seem to find are ocz, corsair and bad ones

ps. i never intend to OC this ram
pps. i was planing to buy this build tommorow ( tuesday) so if possible could you help me fast tacos

so far i was only looking at mhz and timings, what else should i be looking at?

my full build is in this post http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1428413#1428413
which is where i was adviced to get this ram

would this be better???
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114720
2GB OCZ Platinum XTC Series DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
sry but i think we have miscomunicated

i don't want to OC anything

that link (and your explanation) seems to suggest that those rams are great for OC'ing

i just want quality ram thats nice and stable (and fast as its a gaming rig)

so if the prob you mentioned will stop it from being OC it dosen't make 1 bit of difference to me.

so isn't the corsair (with better timings) better for me than the ocz??

before someone jumps in with the why on earth don't you want to OC comment

a. i cannont afford to replace any componant should i fail (OC voids warrenty)
b. i would always worry bout my system breaking down
c. i have absolutly no experience of OC
d. i can't be bothered :D

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
i am becoming increseingly worried about my choice of motherbored.

it seems there are lots of problems with the bios. and im certanly not experienced to over come them

simply put i would like reassuring or advice on a better (easy/more stable board)

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
i am becoming increseingly worried about my choice of motherbored.

it seems there are lots of problems with the bios. and im certanly not experienced to over come them

simply put i would like reassuring or advice on a better (easy/more stable board)
The first thing you do as soon as you install windows is flashing the BIOS, then clear the CMOS and load your own defaults. 975X is a grampa platform on which you shouldnt have any problems. Dont rely complete on newegg "reviews" as theyre n00bs or early testers, in any case just look at the latest ones.

@Taqs: Too much info for this section, save your finger tips for who will absorb it :wink:

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Dont take QVLs as the gospel. They were only good when boards had recently came out, now the great majority of modules are JEDEC approved, which means that theyll boot at 1.8v with really loose timings.

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
the kingston ram has the same speed and timings as the other 2 and is cheaper is there any reason i should not get it??

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
can't get any kingston

im just going to buy the crucial ram tacos suggested

crucail say its compatible so its full steam ahead

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here's a simple answer in two parts:

1.) All Corsair DDR2 desktop memory will work on that motherboard, the "problem" you heard of were mostly defective OCZ Gold revision 1 modules

2.) Nearly all PC2-6400 and higher RAM will boot up at lower speeds than they are rated at, because they have to be able to boot at 1.80V according to specifications. You have to manually set the voltage and speed in BIOS.