change cpu- need to re-register?

New to XP, so this might be basic.

I am in the process of going from 98se to xp but also upgrading my cpu.

If I do the upgrade after I install xp, will that cause a problem and
require me to re-register xp? XP is store bought, not OEM.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
6 answers Last reply

    I made the same changes and had to re-register. (Reactivate?). It was no
    problem at all.

    "Gordon Abbot" wrote:

    > New to XP, so this might be basic.
    >
    > I am in the process of going from 98se to xp but also upgrading my cpu.
    >
    > If I do the upgrade after I install xp, will that cause a problem and
    > require me to re-register xp? XP is store bought, not OEM.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    Hi,

    Upgrade the cpu first so that the instruction set is built at the time of
    installation. Even if you do it later and have to repair install and
    reactivate you will be fine, as you are permitted to change hardware in a
    retail version of Windows. For me it would be just easier to do both
    simultaneously.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    > New to XP, so this might be basic.
    >
    > I am in the process of going from 98se to xp but also upgrading my cpu.
    >
    > If I do the upgrade after I install xp, will that cause a problem and
    > require me to re-register xp? XP is store bought, not OEM.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    I used to fear re-activation for some reason. I got my copy from a friend
    who is in some way a computer tech. I got no documents etc...just a copy of
    XP for doing some work for him. Anyways, activation is quite easy. The
    first few times, I was told to call in and they gave me a number to type.
    Granted, a long number but painless. Now, I just load my copy and activate
    over the net in seconds. Never a problem. I certainly am not as savy as
    the others in here, but I should think it would be near the same with a
    pre-loaded version backup cd. The kind you get with a compaq, HP etc...
    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    > New to XP, so this might be basic.
    >
    > I am in the process of going from 98se to xp but also upgrading my cpu.
    >
    > If I do the upgrade after I install xp, will that cause a problem and
    > require me to re-register xp? XP is store bought, not OEM.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    Swapping out a single piece like a CPU is not going to trigger
    re-activation. Even if it did the process would be painless. You may get a
    screen asking you to active and it will go through just fine. Worse case you
    will need to make a phone call which should take less than 5 minutes. You
    should read the information here on Windows Product Activation which is
    likely the best piece written on the subject for the lay person
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    > New to XP, so this might be basic.
    >
    > I am in the process of going from 98se to xp but also upgrading my cpu.
    >
    > If I do the upgrade after I install xp, will that cause a problem and
    > require me to re-register xp? XP is store bought, not OEM.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    Oh I should have mentioned that you do not have to immediately activate
    windows. You will have a Grace period so go ahead and install it then choose
    the option to Activate later. Just make certain you do the activation before
    the grace period and you will have plenty of time to get the new CPU
    installed before hand. But once again I find it highly unlikely that XP will
    even hic-cup with a new CPU being swapped in.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    > New to XP, so this might be basic.
    >
    > I am in the process of going from 98se to xp but also upgrading my cpu.
    >
    > If I do the upgrade after I install xp, will that cause a problem and
    > require me to re-register xp? XP is store bought, not OEM.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    I think you mean 'activate', not 'register'. You register yourself as a
    user one time and even that is not required. Registration has absolutely no
    impact on the computer.

    You will activate XP at some point after installation. You have 30 days. I
    wait a few days to make sure the installation is sound. I would install the
    cpu first so that if there are problems you know it is the cpu. If you
    install XP and then the cpu and have problems you won't know which to start
    with.

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    > New to XP, so this might be basic.
    >
    > I am in the process of going from 98se to xp but also upgrading my cpu.
    >
    > If I do the upgrade after I install xp, will that cause a problem and
    > require me to re-register xp? XP is store bought, not OEM.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Windows XP Microsoft CPUs