View Wireless Connections ???

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hello,

I have a laptop with an internal Cisco wireless card that I've not used in
the past. I recently installed a cable/broadband rounter with a wireless
access point and would like to use it in conjunction with the wireless card
in the laptop.

My wireless network had a unique SSID and is WEP encrypted, and I'm able to
access it from other XP notebooks. When I turn on the wireless card in the
Win2000 notebook it gets a connection -- but to someone else's unsecurred
network. Further, when I right-click on the wireless network icon, I don't
see "View Available Wireless Networks". When I view Properties for the
wireless network, there is no "Wireless Networks" tab to register my wireless
network's SSID and WEP key.

How/where do I enable the ability to register the SSID and WEP key for my
wireless network in Windows 2000?

Thanks in advance -- Dave

You need to get and install the Cisco-specific utility for this from CCO. On some
adapters, you can set it directly in the device manager properties for the
adapter itself.

Windows 2000 predates wireless Ethernet, so there is very little internal support
for the technology. Each vendor supplies their own.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1F5EBDC-C9DE-4060-A52C-7F47ACB2F672@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a laptop with an internal Cisco wireless card that I've not used in
> the past. I recently installed a cable/broadband rounter with a wireless
> access point and would like to use it in conjunction with the wireless card
> in the laptop.
>
> My wireless network had a unique SSID and is WEP encrypted, and I'm able to
> access it from other XP notebooks. When I turn on the wireless card in the
> Win2000 notebook it gets a connection -- but to someone else's unsecurred
> network. Further, when I right-click on the wireless network icon, I don't
> see "View Available Wireless Networks". When I view Properties for the
> wireless network, there is no "Wireless Networks" tab to register my wireless
> network's SSID and WEP key.
>
> How/where do I enable the ability to register the SSID and WEP key for my
> wireless network in Windows 2000?
>
> Thanks in advance -- Dave

Dave

Distinguished