Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

control over what exactly is in a given map space

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
April 17, 2004 10:26:48 PM

I've started playing around with mod creation, and I'm becoming more
and more annoyed by some simple features or lack thereof.

One in particular is this: when I make a map space, say "grass" or
"floor" or something like that, the editor randomly drops in one of a
variety (eight or so I think) of different features that all fit in
the category I've selected. If I want something in particular, I have
to go in and either drop that same thing again and again till its
right, or do the same thing with the erase selected.

Something I'm doing at the moment involves a planar outdoor area where
the ground is covered in steel sheeting; I've chosen a City Exterior
area, and covered it (after a lot of clicking) with "stone", which
looks close enough for D&D work... but to do so I had to first click
every fourth square to lay down random 4 block patterns with each
block having one of the eight types of "stone" available, then go back
and drop the same pattern down repeatedly in each place till at least
two adjacent squares were the "blank" one I wanted, instead of one
with a square of grass, or one with the two trees and a raised grassy
area(once I get two next to each other "blank" I can often move the
center of my block to include the two that are still wrong and one or
two other wrong ones)...or sometimes I go to erase and use it on
individual blocks which are being annoying.

What I'd like to be able to do is to grab the exact pattern I want
(the "really nothing in it" stone one, in this case) and put -it-
down, instead of clicking and reclicking and slowly eliminating the
"wrong" ones.

Its nice and all that there is a variety available, and sometimes
thats just fine, randomizing the appearance of an area without me
having to do the work... but quite often I -don't- want randomization.

Anyone know a way to do that?

Lance

More about : control map space

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 12:05:31 PM

Lance wrote:
> What I'd like to be able to do is to grab the exact pattern I want
> (the "really nothing in it" stone one, in this case) and put -it-
> down, instead of clicking and reclicking and slowly eliminating the
> "wrong" ones.
>
> Anyone know a way to do that?

CTRL-C = Copy
CTRL-V = Paste

Just select the tile you want, copy it and paste. (What actually happens
when you Paste is the tile you selected is "glued" to your cursor and
then placed where you click next.) Once you've got two side-by-side,
select then both (click-drag) and copy/paste. Then do the same for a 2x2
block, etc.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first