i just thought about that

nikolov

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
hi all !

i ordered a big typhoon vx with new clip system (push thingy like intel stock cooler) i didnt receive it yet and its very frustrating cause i cant use my new computer till i get it, i only have the intel stock cooler and its scratched and i get 50 degre celsius for cpu after 1 min under bios lol, i will install it on my evga 680 mb, but i just thought that if the bigtyphoon when mounted has one or more clip who pop out, it can fall on the graphicard and break the pci express slot and then welcome to rma for motherboard ! do you think that could happen ? a 1kg hsf falling on the graphic card would bent the pins of the pci express slot no doubt about this :( anyone here with the bigtyphoon can confirm the push thingy is very secure ? today i played with the installation system of the stock intel cooler, i know now how it works well (lock and unlock position) but when i unmounted it few minuts ago i tried to remove the last clip without unlocking it, and i just needed a little pressure to remove it hummm. the socket holes on the evga seems to be larger than on the p5b deluxe or maybe not. anyway its scarry !

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Certainly no cooler that weighs 1 Kg should be installed using Intel's clip system. You'd be much better off returning the cooler and ordering a proper one with a backplate support. Do you ever plan on transporting your computer? That will bring extra vibrations and stress. I'm sure you can find a product that will give you good cooling and peace of mind.