Upgrading CPU/Mobo ...blue screen! argh!

Legion455

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
trying to upgrade my dell Dimension 8400 w/ 925x chipset and intel 82801 controller (I have 4 SATA Hds set for RAID) to an ASUS P5B deluxe with Core 2 6600 with 2Gb of DDR2 800Mhx ram ...

Mobo sees SATA RAID Hds no problem ,,,... but I get a blue screen right in the beginning after the splash screen....
http://www.treasure-cove.net/bluscreen.jpg

the ol .... "a problem has been detected ....
STOP: 0x00000007B ,,,, etc etc ,,,

my question is .... do I have a problem with my RAID (incompatibility wit intel 82801, 925x) or is the problem something to do with upgrading the Mobo, ... and I'll have to reload Windows? ... or maybe something else?? I was hoping that I could upgrade teh Mobo without havingto reformat teh hds.... etc ...

thanks for any insight!
ALlen

DeBoNU

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
This is a fun problem with Windows whenever you change out your mobo, and cpu... It's attempting to load the drivers for your old mobo/cpu and it's not physically finding them so it goes into a computer panic. The only thing that I've been able to do to fix this is running a repair install from your XP disks.

When you boot off of your XP disk it will load all the way into the setup(You will also have to load your raid drivers in the beginning of the setup boot up in order for it to pick up your RAID 5, I think it's F2 that you need to hit.), hit enter to setup a new install of win xp, and F8 to agree to the EULA, and then at this point it should see that you have an existing XP install and ask if you want to repair or install from scratch, and you want to repair...

Then you have the fun of re-updating windows but at least everything else should be there...

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS