What Media and From What Source?

ksat

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
There are so many different types of media and different outlets to buy that media from, I thought I'd pose a question to the masses:

1) What type of DVD (+/-) R media do you prefer (and why)?
2) Where do you typically purchase that media from? Local shop, online shop (be specific), overseas, etc...

I'm just trying to get an idea as to where to look for the best/cheapest ($$) media to buy. I currently have a Pioneer DVR-104/A04 but am looking for a decent but low priced upgrade (DL) if you feel so inclined to offer a suggestion.

Thanks to all!
KSAT

If you go to the manufacturer's site and search, you will find a list of CD/DVDs most compatible for your drive. I would stick with what is most compatible.
You can use software programs to find the real manufacturer behind certain brands, like who manufactures disks for TDK, etc.

There are so many different types of media and different outlets to buy that media from, I thought I'd pose a question to the masses:

1) What type of DVD (+/-) R media do you prefer (and why)?
2) Where do you typically purchase that media from? Local shop, online shop (be specific), overseas, etc...

I'm just trying to get an idea as to where to look for the best/cheapest ($$) media to buy. I currently have a Pioneer DVR-104/A04 but am looking for a decent but low priced upgrade (DL) if you feel so inclined to offer a suggestion.

Thanks to all!
KSAT

Simple: If you want quick stash of DVD r/ws, buy in spindles of 50 @ $15 bucks. There is always one brand or another (name brand, not crap) for $15 for 50 disks.

If you want to back up important files for much longer, then buy individual DVD'rws using the guild a few posts down. (mainly looking for gold or rich silver dvd's)

gondo

Distinguished
Easy answer.

Taiyo Yuden. the best damn media period. Verbatim (the best media available at stores) still can't compare to Taiyo yuden. It's the best, most compatible, longest lasting, etc....

Harder to find at stores, so you may want to buy it from online stores or newegg for a better price.

gondo

Distinguished
Taiyo Yuden uses Cyanine. But the dye material is irrelevant since good manufacturing determines the quality of a disc. Check the internet, Taiyo Yuden is the undisputed king.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I second the Taiyo Yuden Recommendation, you can find Taiyo cd's at Sam's in 75 stacks sold under the Maxell name in a pinkish red container. Taiyo DVD's pretty much are all mail order. I use DVD-R for my own personal use - and use DVD+R for video to give to others. The +R seem to be slightly more compatible with cheap dvd players. Good to mediocre brands of DVD's I've used include - TDK (best Taiwanese discs), Fuji (used to be Taiyo, could be bought on sale $40 per 100). I warn anyone who'll listen NOT to buy Chinese dvd's, and Memorex (just plain awful). And I've burned at least 600-800 dvd's in the past 2 years, and I test quite a few w/ Nero CD-DVD Speed (only works with Plextor or Liteon drives) and don't make these recommendations lightly.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I use Verbatim and the DVD seem to play on any player. Unlike utaka95, I find - to be more compatble that +. Year or year and a half ago I checked DVD players on line at places like Bestbuy, Circuitcity, and newegg and most would play -. I would guess for newer players it wouldn't make much difference. I'd suggest getting a 25 spindle of each and see which works on your player as well as the players people are using you're giving DVDs to.