Where are printer driver inf files stored in windows 7

ed68

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I have an Epson Stylus CX6600 attached to an XP Desktop. My new Windows 7 laptop can see it as a shared printer on the network. But when I try to add it as a printer, it says it can not locate the .inf file to install it. I connected the printer directly to a USB port on the laptop and it installed immediately and printed fine. Now it shows up as the default printer on the laptop. I reconnected the printer back up to the desktop machine, tried to print with the laptop and it just puts the print job in a queue. I again tried to add the printer as a network printer and it again says it needs the .inf file. The laptop does see the printer on the network. What do I do to make this work?

Dryver

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

I had a similar problem with an HP Deskjet 712C. Once I had it installed as a local printer on the Win7 machine using a USB to Parallel cable (the DeskJet 712C only has a parallel port), I then created a new local port on the Win7 machine as \\computer-name\printer-name, where "computer-name" is the name of the XP computer on your network that the printer is connected to, and "printer name" is the name of the printer as it appears on that computer. I added the printer from the Win7 machine by choosing the "Add a local printer" option, then "Use an exisitng port", then selecting the port I created. Win7 gives you the driver lists to choose from. Pick your driver from the list and hit "Next" and it should install.

As an FYI for anyone reading this and trying to install the 712C, you will need to select the 710C driver.

mibix19

Distinguished
Hi. Put The printer installation disc into your CD drive and when it asks for the inf file, point to the CD drive as the inf file for the drivers are on the disc. Make sure you tick the box for it to look in all subfolders. If you have not got the disc you will have to download the drivers from the Epson website

Ala2012

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Dear Dryvr
I had exactly the same situation and I did as you described and it I have been able to printe to the that printer.
My printer is epson EPL-N3000 installed on XP system as a shared printer; I already installed the updated epson driver software for win64 from epson website.

Thanks again for help...

Ala

annicey

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

-------------

I would like to try this since I'm having the same problem with an HP deskjet 5550. Where do I create a local port?